90-Degree vs. Straight Connector Hoses Between Propane Tanks and Regulator

Rivernerd

I raised this issue on the Propane Tank Mod-Installation of Gas Stop Valves thread, but decided it makes sense to start a separate, more on-point topic:  Has anyone suggested to Oliver that 90-degree LP hoses be used, instead of straight hoses twisted into a tight bend, to connect the two propane tanks to the regulator that sits between them?

propane-tank-storage.jpgThe image above is from the photo gallery on Oliver's website.  As depicted, the outlet from each of the two tanks must face forward, so the clamp that holds the two tanks in place can securely attach to the collar above the valves.  The two inlets on the regulator face to the sides.  Oliver uses a straight hose to connect each tank outlet to the regulator, which requires a sharp bend in each hose. 

90-degree LP hoses are readily available, like the one shown below. 

61Wh0sFPWkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/GasGear-GasStop-Connector-Regulator-Inverted/dp/B094BZX89T/ref=asc_df_B094BZX89T/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533377784854&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9276931719320922229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-1410142641596&psc=1

I doubt that 90-degree LP hoses cost much more than a straight ones, and they should actually be easier to install.  Has anyone suggested to Oliver that 90-degree hoses be used instead of straight ones when the tanks are installed at the factory?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

A number of Oliver upgrades and improvements have come from owner ideas and upgrades. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

A number of Oliver upgrades and improvements have come from owner ideas and upgrades. 

Understood.

But, before I contact Oliver and suggest they switch to 90-degree LP hoses, I thought it prudent to ask if someone else has already made that specific suggestion.  Perhaps Oliver has considered and rejected that proposal, for reasons I have not yet been able to find on this forum.

If I get no "takers" after a few days, I will initiate the conversation with Oliver, as the 90-degree LP hoses make sense to me.  Who would be the appropriate person to contact at Oliver with such a suggestion?

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

I would suggest that you speak with your sales representative. 

I did, however, forward your thread, and another about the hoses, to Oliver.

Personally,  I  think it's a good idea. I don't see any real downside. 

If people make the change on their own, I hope they check and  use the proper gas sealant or tape on the threads.

My previous comment aside, I  don't think it's our calling to engineer Oliver trailers. Offer up ideas, ok. 

Imo, it's still the best trailer in its class out there. If we can help them tweak it, great, with suggestions.  Best can always be even better. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, T-Oliver said:

DC2B268F-98A4-46AF-B621-EDBD52AE35C4.thumb.jpeg.179c45ff470fbe680a5ceaab7301a3f6.jpeg

Hoses leaked due to tight radius, this is my solution

Those stainless hoses are sure sexy, but I replaced my four year old leaky ones with regular rubber ones…. because there is NO way to visually inspect inside that pretty stainless braid for cracks. Be sure to test with soapy water regularly, at least a couple of times annually, over their entire lengths. I love your brass street elbows, that is what I added also, and there is  a new thread here about it: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6347-propane-tank-mod-installation-of-gasstop-valves/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I raised this issue on the Propane Tank Mod-Installation of Gas Stop Valves thread, but decided it makes sense to start a separate, more on-point topic:  Has anyone suggested to Oliver that 90-degree LP hoses be used, instead of straight hoses twisted into a tight bend, to connect the two propane tanks to the regulator that sits between them?

61Wh0sFPWkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/GasGear-GasStop-Connector-Regulator-Inverted/dp/B094BZX89T/ref=asc_df_B094BZX89T/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533377784854&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9276931719320922229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-1410142641596&psc=1

I doubt that 90-degree LP hoses cost much more than a straight ones, and they should actually be easier to install.  Has anyone suggested to Oliver that 90-degree hoses be used instead of straight ones when the tanks are installed at the factory?

I bought these hoses, and the issue I had with them is that they really didn't solve the problem of strain in the hose, by themselves.  There would still be a severe bend at the regulator inlet.  Adding the street elbow at the regulator inlet eliminated almost all of the strain, even with the straight, stock hoses.  An even less expensive fix at $7 per street elbow.

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I would suggest that you speak with your sales representative. 

I did, however, forward your thread, and another about the hoses, to Oliver.

Personally,  I  think it's a good idea. I don't see any real downside. 

If people make the change on their own, I hope they check and  use the proper gas sealant or tape on the threads.

My previous comment aside, I  don't think it's our calling to engineer Oliver trailers. Offer up ideas, ok. 

Imo, it's still the best trailer in its class out there. If we can help them tweak it, great, with suggestions.  Best can always be even better. 🙂

I’d like to add to SeaDawg post. Oliver try’s there very best to put quality components in there trailer. It’s not always to the consumer’s  liking.  You have to remember Oliver is a manufacturing  business like any other company. Profit margins are involved . A simple 90 dg elbow costs you and I a couple of dollar’s times that by thousands do the math. And that’s just one item. I’m sure Oliver takes into consideration these suggestions and some times implements them. But then don’t complain when the trailer becomes more expensive. This is the nice thing about the Oliver modification,  If you don’t like something on your unit change it to suit your needs as of all the example’s above. I enjoy seeing some of the owners modifications. As to my own. But don’t always expect Oliver to follow suit. 

• Like 5

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I agree that Oliver has to control costs, but sometimes their choices make no sense at all, for example, if it will cause the gas hoses to fail prematurely. That small cost saving gesture means the owner will have to deal with high pressure propane leak(s) in a few years, and the cost of replacement hoses and labor. It is simply bad engineering, a “false economy”. And a fire safety issue as well. How many owners check those hoses for leaks with soapy water annually? Or at all? Not very many, I suspect.

My personal feeling is that Oliver installs those regulators and hoses as supplied by the vendor and doesn’t give it a second thought.  And that is unfortunate IMHO, because there are lots of other items in these trailers that could be improved at very minimal cost during production.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

My personal feeling is that Oliver installs those regulators and hoses as supplied by the vendor and doesn’t give it a second thought.

Perhaps this is true - I don't know.

But, what I do know is that I've owned a number of RV's over the years and most of them (actually all of them that I can remember) had propane supply configurations that very closely resembled that is the Oliver.  I have never had a problem with any of these leaking, blowing up, wasting propane, cracking or any other issues of this nature.  I have also not checked them annually with the old soap and water test (looking for bubbles), but, I do like to think that I have a fairly sensitive nose for rotten eggs.  To be fair - I do not use that much propane and maybe only change (refill) my tanks once per year.  But, I do remove them/reinstall them three or four times per year.

Given that the current tank, regulator and gas line arrangement is fairly similar to what I've seen in other RV's I'd bet that Oliver is simply following industry practice in this regard and without seeing a fair number (my assumption) of failures of these supply hoses there is simply no reason to change.

Yes, I changed mine when I installed my new GasStop devices.  Not because there was any issues with the old (almost 7 years) hoses but just because I thought that it made for a "cleaner" appearance and all rubber things do age with time.

Certainly it is possible that Oliver might change the current configuration given this thread but unless there is some reasonable data out there to suggest that there is a real world issue here, I would think that there are other areas where I'd rather see Oliver spend time, effort and engineering.

Bill 

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I suspect that this is more of an aesthetic than actual problem.  (That, or Oliver is using longer hoses now that are forcing a tighter bend.)  An s-curve isn't inherently prone to cracking in and of itself - it's the quality of the hose, the tightness of the radii, and flex from vibration that might lead to early failure.  Arguably, a single curve will have a larger radius, but then the larger curve might in turn lead to more vibration flex. Which one leads to the shorter life?  

There's another solution to the s-curve, which is to use an 18" pigtail and turn the tanks 90° to face outward.  You'll end up with a hose that comes straight off the regulator with a single 180° bend back to the tank.  The pigtail can be held to the tank mid way with a small bungee to reduce vibration.  From the photo in the original post, it does look like Oliver is using longer pigtails already, so the solution might be as simple as just turning your tanks sideways - at least the pigtail looks longer than mine, which like I said above might in fact be what's causing the sharp bend at the regulator. 

Similarly, you could use a long enough pigtail that you could loop it back on itself like a cloverleaf exit ramp.  You could zip tie the hose as it crosses itself to add some stability.  

I'm also wondering if you could use PEX bend supports on the hose and if that would help keep the pigtails straight at the ends, where I assume most of the failures occur.

So, possibly many ways to skin this cat.

• Like 2