Couch upgrade.

snakeriveridaho

Hello again, 

Carrie and I are planning on the E2 with twin beds and the KTT mattresses. Has anyone also bought the couch pillows and used that type of a setup with a portable table to seat 4 for dinner? We are trying to find the best option to accomplish seating four. The lagun table seems too small and I would hate to lose the basement access. I saw the option for building your own hardware to mount it to the side of the basement access and use a folding marine table. That is a beautiful solution,  but might be out of my skill level. 

Thanks, 

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

I do have the "couch" on one side but have never tried to set it up as a dinner table.  Certainly the lagun table arrangement could be made to work and either you can make or Foy can make a custom table in virtually any reasonable size you desired.  Of course another way to get to the same place would be to use throw pillows.

When ever I have more than the two of us for dinner I either use my Clam screen shelter or the picnic table (if available).

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Like Bill said, talk with Foy about making a larger tabletop for the Lagun. I’d highly recommend a foldable one so that it will be out of the way for sleeping.  You could take down a larger, one piece table at night; but we tried that and it was a pain, plus finding a place to store it was impossible. I believe that Foy will also make the mount that I designed, so the only thing you’ll have to do is screw the mount to the side of the bed rail. In fact if you are just getting the bed rail on one side, you probably don’t need the mount at all, since you can attach the Lagun directly to the side wall of the sofa base.

On the cushions/pillows, the standard 4” back pillows won’t be deep enough to work on the mattress side, since the mattress is wider than standard seat depth. You’ll need two layers of cushions, or 8” total, for them to be anything but decorative. What we had made was a slightly shorter, floating back pillow for each side, that we use as an extra layer. Essentially a throw pillow, but dense enough to provide back support for sitting upright.

More of a problem for you will be the height difference between the sofa and mattress sides, and the fact that the mattresses will just feel a bit odd to sit on while eating. Plus just feeling like you’re sitting on your bed. Also the back pillows on top of the thicker mattress will be higher than the window sill, and I think you’ll find that the thick casing for the blinds will keep the pillows from sitting neatly against the wall.  So I’d highly recommend thinking about cushions both sides, and either finding just the right compromise in foam density for both sitting and sleeping, or making them stiff enough for sitting and the getting a memory foam topper that you can roll out at bedtime. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks Bill!

We camp a lot in cold weather and end up having breakfast, and rarely dinner, inside, if the weather is too bad. We have never used a clam type structure. Here in the high desert we don't have rain or bugs. It would be useful for shade, but we have always used awning or sought out a tree. Using it as a walled structure with the propane firepit in it would be very nice. However, I would rather not have to buy one and haul it around. We are still considering the lagun table, if I could find an easy way to mount it next to the basement access, or maybe a portable table, if that would work. 

Frontrunner makes a  stainless prep table designed to store under a roof rack. This table measures 28.9 inches tall and the surface is 44.5 X 21.7. The legs are slightly less than 15 inches apart, so it would fit in the space. with the extra height from the KTT mattresses, I'm not sure about leg room or  how hard it would be to get in and out of the space. 

Has anyone ever ask OTT to install the two floor brackets for a removable table in an E2 twin floorplan and then use the top mounting brackets on a custom tabletop surface?

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Additional great information Overland. I will talk to Foy and try to go that route. Will probable go KTT on both sides and then get custom pillows to give the back support. 

Great information, thanks!

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

16 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

Has anyone ever ask OTT to install the two floor brackets for a removable table in an E2 twin floorplan and then use the top mounting brackets on a custom tabletop surface?

That’s what we originally had for our trailer before doing the Lagun. We had the standard fiberglass table to go on the mounts and it was a pita for us.  But I’m familiar with the Frontrunner table and that might be a good solution since it stores away neatly. Still might be a pain to pull out and set up - imagining having to get it out on a cold rainy morning. But that might not be a big deal in practice.

You’d have to check the mounting hardware for the posts to make sure that it won’t interfere with sliding the table back in its slots, and figure out how to attach them to the stainless. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kirk Peterson said:

We have never used a clam type structure. Here in the high desert we don't have rain or bugs. It would be useful for shade, but we have always used awning or sought out a tree.

Many of these Clam type screen houses have very fine screening in order to really keep out the bugs.  It works great except it does somewhat restrict air flow.  Certainly this is little problem when it is cold out and, of course, when using the wall panels.  But, if you are using it for shade in full sun and the ambient temperature is much above 80, it will get a bit "stuffy" inside unless you have a fan or there is a good breeze.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We used Overland's design and a custom made top that folds like Overland's.  We have Southern Mattresses that are similar to KTT.  We will occasionally use the Lagun table for dinner and you can get 4 people around it.  The folding leaves add great versatility.  Our table is up all the time.  We just fold up the leaves and swing it to the back of the trailer to keep the center isle clear when not in use.  No tripping or stepping on those table brackets.  I followed Overland's instructions on bracket installation.  Out table is slightly narrower than Overland's.  I am a little too short for my weight!!  The Lagun  bracket that attaches to the table top has grooves so you can attach the leg if you decide to remove and store the table.  I rigged something up in our closet but have never used it.  When we travel I swing the table over to the bed and drop it down on to the bed.  I tighten the handles and put a pillow between the table and the wall and another between the table and the night stand just incase.  The table has stayed in place.  If Foy can make all of the components for you this is not a huge deal to install following Overland's instructions.  We masked everything before drilling any holes and measured several times and made sure the the trailer was level so you could make sure the vertical leg is level when you mark your holes.  One last key is for the best results you need to place the Lagun table bracket off center and not in the middle of the table tol as the Lagun set up is mounted to the side not center of the trailer.   Overland's arrangement allows access to the basement door and night stand draw with the table attached and raised.  Good luck.  I think after using this arrangement for 70 plus days it is well worth the effort to install it using using Overland's method. Good luck 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Foy Sperring is an Oliver owner who handcrafts a variety of beautiful custom wood products for Oliver trailers-- tabletops, shower mats, cutting boards, etc.

He and his wife have also organized mini rallies in Florida. 

You can see his catalog here, and pictures of his installed work if you do a search on Foy Sperring.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:59 AM, SeaDawg said:

Foy Sperring is an Oliver owner who handcrafts a variety of beautiful custom wood products for Oliver trailers

Fantastic! Thank you! 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.