Twin Beds to a King

Gliddenwoods

We want our cake and eat it too. We are interested in the twin beds to gain the center walkway, but we want the king bed at night. It is our understanding that some Oliver owners have come up with a support system to cover over the center walkway to make a king bed; some sort of support platform we understand. Is anyone aware of such a system? Comments and/or advice? Pictures?  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

41 minutes ago, Gliddenwoods said:

We are interested in the twin beds to gain the center walkway, but we want the king bed at night.

We also want to "have our cake and it too."  That is why we have ordered the standard floor plan instead of the twin.  It has an even larger daytime walkway/seating area, because there is no night stand.  And, the standard floor plan comes complete with the king bed center fiberglass support that is conveniently velcroed into the closet, so the daytime storage solution for the center support is "built in."

We like being able to have a true king-sized bed, without a night stand in the middle of it.  If you prefer to have the night stand, then the twin bed floor plan, and the extra expense for the options specified by Overland, make sense.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

It has an even larger daytime walkway/seating area, because there is no night stand. 

The aisle in the standard floor plan is also wider (at least right about the height of your knees) due to the fact that there are additional pieces on each side for support of the twin beds.

Bill 

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

And, the standard floor plan comes complete with the king bed center fiberglass support that is conveniently velcroed into the closet, so the daytime storage solution for the center support is "built in."

That's interesting.  I know that our tabletop in our Elite would never fit in the closet. It's huge. Is the fiberglass bridge multiple pieces?

We leave the bed set up permanently,  using storage underneath for bins. Not sure where the table leg is anymore. I'm sure it's somewhere in the archives, but, like Overland and others have found, setting up that table and breaking it down is a pita, and we don't carry it anymore.

I think the folding lagun with Overland's mount is the best situation ever. If we had a II, that's what I'd probably do. I love the open feel of the twin bed configuration,  and totally understand why it is so popular. 

That said, I  love the coziness of our smaller Elite, and the additional storage under the bed.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I know that our tabletop in our Elite would never fit in the closet. It's huge. Is the fiberglass bridge multiple pieces?

Yes.  The support for the middle of the bed is comprised of:  (1) the table top and (2) an extra support piece, that goes in the closet when not in "bed" mode.

See this video:

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rivernerd said:
4 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

We are interested in the twin beds to gain the center walkway, but we want the king bed at night.

We also want to "have our cake and it too."  That is why we have ordered the standard floor plan instead of the twin.  It has an even larger daytime walkway/seating area, because there is no night stand.  And, the standard floor plan comes complete with the king bed center fiberglass support that is conveniently velcroed into the closet, so the daytime storage solution for the center support is "built in."

So, to be clear,, you don't really have an open walkway, it's a table in the daytime, converted to a bed, by removing the leg, setting up as a bed, and just the little filler piece is velcroed in the closet. Much the same as ours, which I've found to be a pita, and leave the bed set up full time. I think the older tabletops are heavier than the current ones, though.

The other solutions in posts above actually give that nice open walkway, and a filler when desired. 

Everyone has a different style, and comfort zone. Nice to have options.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Topgun2, I do not understand wider at knees. Please explain.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gliddenwoods said:

In the twin bed model there is an extension for the twin mattresses on each side.  With the larger dinette there are no extensions providing more room at knee level.  There are times we wish we had the larger dinette and the king size bed.  We couldn’t figure out where to store that larger mattress during the day.  The cushions didn’t seem supportive enough by themselves.  I think we’d leave the bed up all the time with the mattress.  The few times we would need the larger dinette we could stash the mattress somewhere and set up the table.  I think we’re still happy with our twin bed model.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

OK, note in the pic below the piece of fiberglass that a spray can is sitting on.  Or, that same piece that sticks out into the aisle starting at the battery box (just below the pantry) and extends back to the nightstand.  This piece (as Mike said) sticks out into the aisle about 4 inches or so right about at knee level.  Thus, it makes the aisle more narrow at right about knee level.  With the "standard floor plan" this piece (extension) is not there.  Thus, the aisle is full width at that point.

Bill 

IMG_0509.thumb.JPG.2a57004fee80518c4df78524ee423336.JPG

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Since were talking about the bed extensions, my wife and I would actually be fine without them even while keeping a twin bed setup.  I understand that wouldn’t work for everyone, but it does for us since we use sleeping bags which aren’t much wider than 24”. We’ve kept them though, since the extensions allow us to leave the back cushions in place when sleeping, which provide good insulation against the side wall, plus we aren’t stacking cushions all over the place at night.  We also couldn’t do without the nightstand - that’s a tremendous amenity to give up. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

We want our cake and eat it too. We are interested in the twin beds to gain the center walkway, but we want the king bed at night. It is our understanding that some Oliver owners have come up with a support system to cover over the center walkway to make a king bed; some sort of support platform we understand. Is anyone aware of such a system? Comments and/or advice? Pictures?  Thank you for any assistance you can 

We have one if you are interested.

Screenshot_20211218-083445_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4