Gauging Interest in a 2023 Boondockers Mini Rally in Colorado

VBistro

Would you attend a 2023 Mini Rally for Boondockers  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Boondocking mini Rally in Colorado in 2023? No hookups, sometimes water, usually lots of sun for your solar.

• Yes - the more isolated the better.
    • Not for me.
    • Maybe....tell me more

Here is the spot I have in mind.  It's about 90 minutes from Denver, but truly feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. Truly Boondocking. This is a Forest Service group campground.  There are two sites -- we prefer the upper spot for trailers, and guestimate that there is room for about 10 Ollies, 15 if we needed to.  This campground books out a year in advance, and can be tricky to get.  Mid-June is a spectacular time to go -- still relatively cool and the mosquitos and biting flies haven't hatched yet.  Bonus!

What it does have: water (sometimes), pit toilets, peace and quiet, sunshine, star gazing, space for 10-15 Ollies, streams for fishing, and lots and lots of trails for hiking and mountain biking

What it doesn't have:  hookups, cell service

You need to travel about 6 miles on relatively well maintained dirt road, though it can be a bit washboardy in places.  The access road pictured below is a single lane.  4wd required if there's been a lot of rain.

I'd have included more photos, but it seems that after 10 years of camping here, I have lots of pictures of bikes, dogs, and kids, but not really any of the site itself.

If there is interest, I'll do my best to secure the site in 2023.  It'll be an informal, unofficial gathering, but could be loads of fun!

colorado-meadows-group-campground_9403a4f0-2c9e-453e-9305-15dd2372a86b.jpg?ixlib=rb-3.1.1&auto=webp

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

2023 is far enough off to plan.  I would assume it wouldn’t be in the spring to conflict with the Oliver Rally.  Are you thinking fall?  Maybe September or early October?  Since we try to go to CO regularly (grandkids, you know) we’d definitely put it on the calendar!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mid-to-late June is prime time. Otherwise the biting flies and mosquitos are out in force.  Mid-September could work as well, but after having gone for 10 years in early August, I am over it.  🙂  

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Sorry, the lack of cell signal is a killer, my wife needs that for her work, and I would also prefer a location further away from a major metropolitan center.. That close to Denver means that area would be literally packed with summer visitors . I would love to attend an event in Durango  in June or later, so I could spend some time exploring the way-up-high Alpine Loop 4wd routes in the San Juans. There are so very many cool things to do in that area… steam train, Ouray hot springs, Telluride, Million Dollar Hwy, Jeep/ATV rentals, it is one of my most favorite areas in Colorado, when the air is breathable. A close second is Dinosaur NM.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Gee - 90 minutes from Denver doesn't exactly put this site in the middle of a metropolitan center and being retired I actually look for places with little to no cell service.

My "normal" schedule of fishing for a couple of months up in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho would couple very well with a mini-rally during the first or second weekend of September and that kind of time frame would get the rally well away from any conflict with the Oliver Owner's Rally in May.  Anyone that is still working either full or even part time would likely have a long weekend over Labor Day (September 5, 2022).

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Gee - 90 minutes from Denver doesn't exactly put this site in the middle of a metropolitan center and being retired I actually look for places with little to no cell service.

Bill, I was going by the Google Maps link posted above, is that waypoint incorrectly located? It appears to be about 30 miles from downtown Denver. And I never said it was in the “middle” of an urban area, you are misrepresenting my statement. BTW the Denver metro area has a population of 3,000,000 people. Maybe that 90 minute figure is driving time from there, in rush hour….😬

D9BEC769-80C4-4747-B3D8-60D8C20CF58F.thumb.png.4d81469e1fb78bf818442710ec9dddfd.png

There is also a big public shooting range right up the road, about a mile to the west, and that has to be pretty busy in the summer, and probably noisy during daylight hours. http://campfickes.com/index.php

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

20 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That close to Denver means that area would be literally packed with summer visitors .

It actually isn't packed with visitors, or at least it wasn't for the 10 years I camped there pre-Covid.  2020-2021 are the only two years I haven't been in the last 15.

The dirt road in has a number of dispersed campsites, and there is a FS campground about .5 mile from these group sites, but this is fairly isolated.  The upper campground that we usually reserve is several acres, and while some mountain bikers do wander through along the Colorado Trail occasionally, they hardly qualify as swarms.  This is one of my favorite campgrounds to relax and enoy some time away.

That said, I can't do anything about the no cell service, but then I usually don't want to.  When Mark and I were working full time, we recognized the preciousness of being forced to "unplug" for a week.  Occasionally, one of would have to drive up to the paved road to take a phone call, but otherwise, we enjoyed the isolation.  It's not for everyone....

• Like 4
  • Love 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

If you just need 10 or so Ollies (or other camping vehicles, if their Ollie isn’t ready 🙂) to show up there is a good chance would happen. For Carrie and I we would probably have to try to schedule it around a week off, if we could (I have to take my time off in a week block).  We would come, if we could. If there were a mini rally or a rally a little father west, it would be easier for the people living on the western slope, around Salt Lake, and around the Great Basin. However, I would imagine there are several Ollies around the front range that would have easy access to the gathering site you showed us MaryBeth and that it would be a great time! 👍

Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Bill, I was going by the Google Maps link posted above, is that waypoint incorrectly located? It appears to be about 30 miles from downtown Denver. And I never said it was in the “middle” of an urban area, you are misrepresenting my statement. BTW the Denver metro area has a population of 3,000,000 people. Maybe that 90 minute figure is driving time from there, in rush hour….😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

That waypoint is correct.  And the 90 minutes is without rush hour up 285, according to Google Maps.  58.1 miles from downtown. The road after you turn off of 285 is very windy and steep in places.  Most posted speed limits are 25mph, slower if you are pulling a trailer.  And once you are on the dirt road, you are travelling   even slower.  Twisty, not quite 2 lanes in a lot of places.  Maybe 15 miles an hour. 

Unless things have changed radically due to covid, this site is not swamped with people.  The lack of any type of services other than pit toilets tends to keep a lot of people away.

• Like 5

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

If you just need 10 or so Ollies (or other camping vehicles, if their Ollie isn’t ready 🙂) to show up there is a good chance would happen. For Carrie and I we would probably have to try to schedule it around a week off, if we could (I have to take my time off in a week block).  We would come, if we could. If there were a mini rally or a rally a little father west, it would be easier for the people living on the western slope, around Salt Lake, and around the Great Basin. However, I would imagine there are several Ollies around the front range that would have easy access to the gathering site you showed us MaryBeth and that it would be a great time! 👍

Kirk

I'll likely reserve it, rally or not.  If the Ollies don't bite, I have lots of friends who will.  It's truly one of our favorite spots.

I have the site reserved this June for 10 days -- sort of a last hurrah for all of our friends whose youngest kids head to college next fall. I'll be able to better guage if things have changed post-covid, and will take a lot more pictures of the site itself.  Stay tuned!

• Like 4

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

For those going to the Oliver rally in Alabama, early June might be a challenge.  We’re retired so we can stay out for extended periods.  Also, no cell service is no problem, we often camp unconnected.  It can be restful!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Your mosquito's and biting flies are not out in May & early June?  What a bunch of slackers.  We could bring you a bunch of Cascade mosquito's as seed stock ... they are out early! 😁

I'm shaking in my cleats just thinking abou Cascade mosquitos. Please, please, please do no bring any with you.  LOL

We used to go to this site in early august every year, but I finally said no.  The mosquitos are out in full force dawn and dusk, and just when you get a reprieve from them in the sunshine, the flies attack.  I'd have to slather on half a bottle of Sawyer's picaridin before every ride, and bring one with me for an hourly reapplication.  I'm over it!  

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Love the idea and would attend... But, our problem is the timing as we typically stay at a Southwest Colorado site with friends the second half of June.  So sadly, unless they decide against going this year, we'd pass on the group site ☹️

Charlie

• Thanks 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

Like the Idea of Colorado. I am in.  

I will have to wait until I retire to go to a Normal Oliver Rally back East, and Oliver does seem to want to make  one on this half of the U.S.  

• Like 1

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• Moderator+
On 12/18/2021 at 4:38 PM, VBistro said:

I'll likely reserve it, rally or not.  If the Ollies don't bite, I have lots of friends who will.  It's truly one of our favorite spots.

I have the site reserved this June for 10 days -- sort of a last hurrah for all of our friends whose youngest kids head to college next fall. I'll be able to better guage if things have changed post-covid, and will take a lot more pictures of the site itself.  Stay tuned!

I would like to "reserve" a spot as this sounds like a great trip. Distance and lack of cell service is never a problem for us. Put our name down as "coming".

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

I would like to "reserve" a spot as this sounds like a great trip. Distance and lack of cell service is never a problem for us. Put our name down as "coming".

Awesome!  Stay tuned…

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Each of us have our level of camping that is right for us.  Reminds me of the difference between my sister and me.     Back in my 20s and 30s going tent camping meant backing packing 5-10 in the boonies and and setting up a 2 man tent and staying 1-2 nights and then moving on to another site.   My sisters idea is going  tent camping is going to a KAO camp type ground next to a city with a big tent;  Bring a microwave, curling iron, TV (television), electric skillet,....   and 2-100ft extension cords to get to the nearest 110 outlet.    

To each their own.  I think I can make it 5 days on solar without a phone..  Heck, I know I can still watch a movie every night and still have electricity to keep Oli warm on a cooler night in the low 30s.  Enjoying nature in the lap of luxury.

• Like 5

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, LisaC said:

I’m in. 

Excellent!

Stay tuned.  I'll post more information once I have the site reserved.  I'll take a lot more pictures when I'm there this coming June, too.

mb

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg