Portable convection ovens.

snakeriveridaho

Hello,

We are interested in having an oven for baking. We do not use microwaves and have not been satisfied with the few convection/microwaves we have tried. 

For our E2, we are planning on no oven built, getting the storage cabinet, and taking a portable oven with us. 

The High Pointe microwave /convection oven that is an option or the trailers weighs 45 pounds and is 1450 watts. 

I have found quarter size convection ovens that are built for the restaurant industry. These are very highly rated and would most likely bake better than our home built in double ovens. They are convection only and there is no broil available. The one I was looking at weighs 42 pound is 1450 watts. They are around 400 dollars, can cook a 12 pound turkey, and use up to three 9 x 13 inch baking sheets. 

So, my questions are: 

Does anyone have the dimensions of the cabinet opening when you opt for no microwave/convection oven? 

Also, I assume OTT would wire for the microwave and have the plug put in, inside the storage space. Then does anyone see a problem with plugging in the countertop convection oven, as far as the power goes? I know I would have to move it out of the cabinet and plug it in on the table or next to the sink. Would I be able to use any of the outlets (including the outside outlet) or would I have to use the one made for the oven? The oven is suppose to pull 12 amps. If the opening in the cabinet is too small, I would just store the oven in the truck and move it out when we wanted to bake.  I don't mind moving a 42 pound oven around so that aspect would not bother me. 

Thanks for any information!

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

I can’t comment on the newest trailers, but mine has that outlet shared with all the other 120 VAC ones on a 20 amp circuit. If yours is like this 2019 diagram, you won’t have any worries about overloading it, as long as you are careful not to run other high load devices at the same time, like a toaster. You could use any of the outlets.

BDBAE909-1242-431B-8614-B43E4FD2CA8B.thumb.jpeg.d8db8c04dea90b6c7341b75ff33fa716.jpeg

I doubt that you will be able to operate it inside that cabinet due to ventilation and heat concerns. The LE2 has a bare minimum of counter space. You could get a (slightly) larger Foy dinette table top for extra room and do your prep there. It seems overly complicated to me, for such a small interior volume, but I think you could figure it out, if you are determined. My wife loves to bake bread, at home she uses vast amounts of counter space. There is no way she could do that in our trailer. She would start screaming in frustration.🤬

Storage for all those pans, utensils, components and so on is another problem, but they could go in a great big bin and store in the truck. There isn’t room in the Ollie, and cleaning all that bulky stuff in the galley  will be challenging..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John, that is very useful! 

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Kirk, you might take a look at this topic, which gives some dimensions as well as a good look at the cabinet itself, outlet, modifications that others have done, etc.:

My experience with commercial kitchen equipment is that their priorities are durability, simplicity of use, and easy cleaning, and only then function.  So they don’t necessarily do a better job than a consumer model and if they do it’s usually for the very specific subset of what a restaurant is buying it to do.  And of course no thought at all to noise or insulation beyond what might be required by law. We buy commercial utensils, pans, etc, quite often, but have learned to avoid appliances.  I think the only exception is our Vitamix but even that has some limitations.  Powerful, though.  But you know your needs best so take that advice for whatever it’s worth.

As for ventilation, it could be that like ours, just scooting it out away from the back wall while in use might be enough.

You’ll need to hear from a recent Oliver owner about the size of the cabinet, since it’s changed over time - often enough that at the time of that thread even Oliver couldn’t tell you how big it was. To quote myself:

“When you get the option from them, they build a cabinet inside that isn't much larger than the door.  In fact, it's smaller than they told us it would be which means we got stuck with a larger oven than will fit.  In fact, if someone is considering the factory option, know that I was actually given one set of dimensions early on, which was different from what's listed on the measurement pdf, which was different from what I overheard Heather telling a customer on the phone while I was picking up our trailer, which was different from what was actually in our trailer.  So good luck, buyers!”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kirk Peterson said:

Does anyone have the dimensions of the cabinet opening when you opt for no microwave/convection oven? 

The storage cabinet in a 2021 LE2 is 19.25" W, 13.0" H, and 13.5" D.  You can request a hole in the roof of the cabinet that goes to a 120V outlet in the cabinet above.  I agree with the other responses: you'd want to be careful with oven temperatures.  We keep an instant pot in the storage compartment.  On slow cook, no problem.  We put the instant pot elsewhere (e.g., outside, or on the table) for pressure cook.

233838334_MicrowaveCabinetDimensions(2021LE2).thumb.jpg.cc47723630880616f94757935c623a8a.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

You might also want to confirm that the cabinet-instead-of-microwave option is still available; I was under the impression that 2021 was the last year for this.  

Also, temporarily sliding an oven away from the back wall while in use may not be an option in that the bottom the cabinet door when open is about 1/2 in above the cabinet floor, and the top of the door when open extends about 4.5" beyond the counter into the isle.

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

3 hours ago, Kirk Peterson said:

We do not use microwaves and have not been satisfied with the few convection/microwaves we have tried. 

Kirk:

Even if Oliver is willing to allow you the "cabinet-instead of-microwave" option on your 2022 model, I would consider the thread below before presuming that the High Pointe convection microwave Oliver offers will not be acceptable.  While your baking standards may be very high, there are lots of pretty satisfied Elite II convection microwave owners on this forum who have baked bread, cookies, poultry, etc.:

You might also consider seeking additional input by starting another thread focused on convection oven baking results.

FWIW, my wife and I like to bake too, which is why we plan to drop the extra $450 for the convection upgrade.  Even if it does not offer results quite as good as our built-in double convection/standard ovens at home (which we won't know until we try it), we view it as one of the trade-offs of camping.  And, if we're not satisfied with the convection oven's performance,  we can always resort to that venerable Idaho camp kitchen tool we take on every extended river trip---a dutch oven!  I've baked many a cake on the river...

My 2 cents.

Ralph Pond

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Thanks Ralph, I will definitely look at the High Pointe closer!

We have considered using the Dutch oven. That’s what we are doing now with our current setup. Great results, just not as convenient. 

Thanks for heads up Fritz, I have a call in to Josh at OTT with that question. Also thanks for those dimensions. 

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

• Moderators

From your described specs, I'm thinking avantco 1/4 oven. My guess would be too hot to vent in the microwave compartment,  but a really nice size for baking/roasting. 

Way back in the day, I had a couple of similar pizza ovens, for my restaurant and catering. They were ok. I probably still have one, somewhere in the archives. 

Overland really nailed the whole commercial resistive oven  deal. Commercial gear is (usually) easy to clean, simple to use, and relatively sturdy. But high emissive heat,  very simplified, and somewhat to grossly inefficient.  Everything in my commercial kitchen line was poorly (if at all) insulated,  pricey, and heated the kitchen tremendously.  So bad, that none of us wore jewelry on the line, though that was mostly gas equipment. 

If that's the oven you're looking at, I'd worry (a bit) about the gasket, and the glass door, since you're moving around. Probably no thermostat or reliable timer.  

I have three  air fryers at home, three sizes, three brands. (Goldilocks, right?...) I  have cooked/roasted/baked/fried so many things in all three. They're basically mini convection ovens on strroids/turbo mode. Everything from the typical wings and fries,  to homemade muffins, quiche, and meatloaf, ratatouille, chicken parm, pork chops etc., etc. 

If you want something to tote around, I'd look at a Breville smart convection oven, or an air fryer that you may already own. (I could possibly loan you one. 🙃 But,  two of my three are on loan right now, to a cousin and my daughter. )

I haven't seen any great reviews on convection microwave/air fryer combos, or I'd probably own one of those, as well. I'd love that functionality. Another year or two, and someone will get it right.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Overland,

I haven’t decided on the oven. My favorite is, unfortunately probable too big. I might go with it, my wife isn’t sure and is definitely the voice of reason. The watts are slightly less , as is the weigh. However, the dimensions are too big. The oven is Cadco OV-003 and is made in Italy. The dimensions are 21 x 19 x 16.5 inches. We are going to get Foy’s over-sized dinette top and it looks like we could use it with the outside plug as an option also.  

If OTT won’t let us drop the oven, we will might get the convection oven, but I don’t like losing that bit of counter space, we never use a microwave, and I would prefer a  smaller free standing, non air-fryer, non-microwave convection oven with 1500 watts or less (the air frier function pushes the watts to 1800 on all the ones I looked at). Another option would be no oven and then get a cabinet door made after we take possession. 

Thanks everyone for all the replies! 

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

SeaDawg, 

I just saw your reply. The Breville smart oven is tempting, and we have cooked with one. I guess I was a little concerned about the extra power at 1800 watts (15 amps). It looks like the breaker is 20 amps, so it wouldn’t trip it and it might work. Would you worry about pulling 15 amps an oven? I believe the High Pointe pulls 12.5 amps.

Thanks, 

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

• Moderators

I'd check, but I believe you have a 20 amp circuit. So, 15 amp draw, with no other 110 appliances running should not be an issue. Just don't run water heater on electric, or ac, etc. 

If you already own a nice breville, I'd try it out,  before buying something else, imo.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

SeaDawg, like you I loan out cooking equipment. Our daughter has ours and we might not get it back. 😂

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

Sherry, if you’re loaning out Brevilles, then I’d like to get on the waiting list. I promise I’ll treat it well and will return it the moment I can trade it for a newer model. 

I’d say definitely no problem with the 1800 watt oven, at least when on shore power, but get the 3000 watt inverter option if you’re going to use it while boondocking. Just too close to the limit for the 2000 watt version. 

But despite what I said above, if the Cadco oven floats your boat, then I’d go for it.  If it feeds your passion then you’ll make it work and will be much happier that you did.  Personally, ovens don’t interest me, but I do get it - I’m trying to convince my wife right now that logic only dictates that we get a TEC grill for the Ollie.  She’s not on board…yet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

@Kirk Peterson, I  really understand your desire for an oven. I looked for a long time for a small gas rv oven to fit in the microwave spot, but all of the contenders, mostly European,  were either too big, and/or had terrible reviews.

If your daughter doesn't return the breville, there are some "portable" gas options out there. Mountainborn's wife Betty used to bring a camp chef oven/range to camp. Bigger, has to be used outdoors, but also gives you extra burners.

there are also some newer, larger  gas pizza ovens that could be less cumbersome, but could probably do 75 per cent of what you want to do. (Link below, to one.) Several people on here have the little omnia stove top oven, and like it, too. It works by heat circulation,  and there's a learning curve, I'm told. And very small so not much use for a batch of cookies. 

I not only don't mind cooking outdoors, but prefer it. One of those gas alternatives will probably wind up on my Santa letter, one of these years. I, too, sometimes miss having an oven, when we're camping. 

https://elitepatiodirect.com/products/mont-alpi-portable-pizza-oven?currency=USD&variant=41041559355590&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk4aOBhCTARIsAFWFP9EDixVpgCqLEPpWHmKtvnlnOf2e47V5b1Ld8LSdDZ2jldpFX-Nc4P0aAig0EALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

SeaDawg, 

That is an excellent option and will give me something else to research. 

Thanks for the link!

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

• Moderators

@Kirk Peterson, I don't have a portable gas oven, so I  can't really recommend any particular brand. Please let us know if you find something you like. My idea has always been gas is extremely reliable, and doesn't draw down batteries.

This past year, I've been studying small  wood stoves for our cabin, that I  could cook on in cool weather, and we could still enjoy the ambience of the flames on cool nights. 

When I was a little girl on the Minnesota farm, my neighbors had a kitchen wood stove. Marie made amazing meals on that big stove, and many years later, I still remember them. (They were stubborn, and still farmed with horses, long, long  after everyone else bought tractors...)

I'm kind of thinking something like the UK built Salamander little range. Might be a tough 🤔 convincing job, though, as it's pretty pricey. But, I love cooking with fire,  and, well, my husband  loves to eat what I  cook.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 5 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, Rivernerd said:

Kirk:

Even if Oliver is willing to allow you the "cabinet-instead of-microwave" option on your 2022 model, I would consider the thread below before presuming that the High Pointe convection microwave Oliver offers will not be acceptable.  While your baking standards may be very high, there are lots of pretty satisfied Elite II convection microwave owners on this forum who have baked bread, cookies, poultry, etc.:

You might also consider seeking additional input by starting another thread focused on convection oven baking results.

FWIW, my wife and I like to bake too, which is why we plan to drop the extra $450 for the convection upgrade.  Even if it does not offer results quite as good as our built-in double convection/standard ovens at home (which we won't know until we try it), we view it as one of the trade-offs of camping.  And, if we're not satisfied with the convection oven's performance,  we can always resort to that venerable Idaho camp kitchen tool we take on every extended river trip---a dutch oven!  I've baked many a cake on the river...

My 2 cents.

Ralph Pond

Hi Ralph,  how is the convection microwave working out for you?   Do you have to be connected to shore power to operate it?   We have an LE2 on order for November delivery with lithium pro package.   I am just not sure if we can cook for very long with battery power. 

John 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

On 5/29/2022 at 4:38 PM, John Welte said:

Hi Ralph,  how is the convection microwave working out for you?   Do you have to be connected to shore power to operate it?

Like  you, we don't pick up our Elite II until November.  I expect that, like the AC, if you have one of the lithium packages, you can operate the microwave on battery power, but probably not for very long.  We will find out in November.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

you can operate the microwave on battery power, but probably not for very long. 

Heck - I have 4 lead acid batteries that (via the inverter) easily run the microwave. 

I really don't know how long it will run the microwave before the batteries would run dry but I do know that a 2 minute bag of popcorn followed by a 5 minute baked potato, followed by a 2 minute cup of water for hot tea don't hardly make a dent in the battery power I have available.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Using the formula “Volts x Amps = Watts” it is relatively straightforward to estimate how much using the convection/microwave will draw down your batteries.

If the convection microwave is 1,450 watts, then the formula is:

Volts x amps = 1450 watts

If you assume that your lithium batteries will reliably deliver 12.5 volts to the inverter under heavy load, the formula becomes:

12.5 volts x amps = 1450 watts, which is the same as (amps = 1,450 watts divided by 12.5)

1,450 watts divided by 12.5 volts = 116 amps

The last thing you need to account for is losses through the inverter which are typically around 10% or less.  Assuming 10% losses through the inverter:

116 amps divided by .9 = 128 amps.

So, if the oven runs at full power continuously for 1 hour (which it won’t), you will use about 128 amp hours from your batteries, or about 2.1 amp hours per minute. (128 amp hours/60 minutes)

A microwave on high will draw continuous power, so if you microwave something that takes 10 minutes to cook, it will consume about 21 amp hours.  (2.1 amp hours per minute x 10 minutes)

If you bake something for an hour, the oven will run continuously until it heats to temperature and then will cycle on and off to maintain temperature.  Assuming the oven is actually heating for 30 minutes of that first hour (complete guess), then the oven will use about 63 amp hours over the course of an hour (2.1 amp hours x 30 minutes). 

So Topgun2’s popcorn, potato and hot tea at 9 minutes total probably consumes a little under 20 amp hours (9 minutes x 2.1 amp hours per minute = 18.9 amp hours)

• Like 3

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg