Blue Springs, FL

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Thinking about a trip to Blue Springs. John Bartram, naturalist, visited here in the late 18th century. Any of you been here? There's a FL state park at Blue Springs, and I'm curious. I've read some 20th century writings that make it sound very much worth the drive.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi Sherry! Hi Everyone! Just wanted to jump in on this Blue Springs post! I have been there several times and it is totally amazing this time of year. Manatee leave the cold water of the St. John's River to the constant warmer temps of Blue Springs. I have been there on days that they were crowded into the springs like they were trying to fill a sardine can! Lots of babies this time of year too! There are several lookout areas where you are literally just feet from these magnificent, gentle creatures! Photo ops everywhere! As a hint, if your camera will accept a polarizing filter, it will take away the glare of the water and give you great wildlife photograph images of the manatee! I have never camped there... I just went on day trips but I am sure there were camping areas, just sorry that I can't give you a report on them! This is a beautiful park and it would be a great place for all of us here, in FL to get together one more time before we all scatter for the summer! Anybody ready for a Blue Springs gathering ???? Geri and Chuck are! :D

A Florida gathering would be awesome. We just arrived to the east coast of Florida this week. Currently parked in Titusville and likely hanging out on this coast for a couple weeks - then heading to Orlando. Would love to get west coast too. A meetup would certainly get us there :)

- Cherie

• Moderators

It has been warm here (believe it or not...). Temps in the 70's during the day. It rained today,off and on, and rain showers are in the forecast for most of next week, but the temps will be decent in Tampa Bay.

We took the cat ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West this week with my brother and sister-in-law, and enjoyed two glorious days of sun and (dare I say it) great temps. Back at home, we took the little powerboat out in the intercoastal yesterday, and needed a jacket only outside the no-wake zones. Now, we're getting the tail end of the northern ugly weather, but it's still nice, between the showers.

Back to Blue Springs....

There is an Endeavor launch scheduled for 2/7 at 4:39 am. Would it not be cool to see the launch (only 5 or so left in the program), and visit Blue Springs? I've seen the contrails from the backyard as the shuttles launch from the other coast, but have never seen a launch up close and personal.

Blue Springs is, of course, booked completely for the weekends. However, there is some mid-week availability, before and after the launch. There are other central Florida parks within an hour or two of Cape Canaveral that might be available if some of you are interested. I'd be happy to research more.

Sher

PS Tom: No matter what the weatherman brings, we love to see you and Karen anytime!

PS Cherie & Chris: Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing you both again!

PS Chuck & Geri: It would be wonderful to see you newly weds again before you begin your journey on the westward trail.

PS DC Kiefers: If we can work this out for a weekend, hope you can join us too!

PS to all.... there is another launch in March, in case this doesn't work.

S.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Looking at March, a satellite goes up 3/1, but the shuttle launch on 3/18 may conflict with family visits for us.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We're currently staying in Titusville, in spitting distance of the shuttle. If anyone is coming over this way for the launch, that would be a no-brainer for us. Of course, where we're at.. we already have a great view :)

For other parks in the area - there's a county park called 'Manatee' and Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral is beachside at the port.

As far as planning out into March - it's a wild guess for us at this point. We don't know yet how long we'll be in Florida, and are thus far only committed through late February. Weekdays work great for us.. we prefer public parks during the week anyway, much more relaxing.

- Cherie

• Moderators

Sorry gang, I've been out of touch with the board for several days with out of state company.

Sorry, too, that the days mentioned won't work for me. I'll be out of town till the 15th or 16th with one of my sisters.

Don't let it hold up the rest of you, though.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Have a wonderful time. I hear it's such a beautiful spot. Wish we could be there, too.

If you get the chance before you go, read Bill Belleville's essay, "Inside the Heart of a Poem." It's not long, just a few pages, but beautiful. (From his anthology . Belleville is a diver, a naturalist, and a Floridian. I think you'd especially enjoy his writing, Geri.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4