Choices! Truck Cargo Caps, Toppers, Shells, Tonneau Covers, High-roof Hardtops and more... Oh my!

Boudicca908

15 hours ago, rideandfly said:

We like Diamondback aluminum bed covers:

We have a Diamondback also.   We have  the optional toolbox under the forward compartment for all the small stuff.   Not difficult for me to reach in and get what I need,  but my wife cannot without a stool.   Pros: Ease of removal  by myself (~ 15 minutes), very secure from theft, does not leak, strong enough to stand on or load gear on top.   I carry a dual sport motorcycle on trips occasionally so I take the cover off and store in my garage.  Cons: It’s very expensive, but same logic as Oliver vs SOB.  I had a black coated one on my previous truck.  I liked the way it looked, but it got too hot to touch (~140F) in the hot sun.  This one is the shiny  aluminum which matches the rear decking on the Oliver, reflects the heat well, costs several $ hundred less. Next mod is to mount a bike & solo canoe rack. 

7D873D95-2163-47ED-A01A-84790D47C288.jpeg

• Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I am well past the “sleep in a bag” stage of my life. I carry one for a real emergency, but no way will I sleep in one willingly. Too many critters. A RTT at least gets you out of the bugs and snakes, if not out of reach of a griz.

On our wish list is to add an RTT so our children & grandchildren can join us on adventures.   Some of them are not comfortable with night critters.

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

If you go the route of a truck topper, I recommend getting the awning side window option. One of my trucks toppers has the option and the other does not. One makes it simple to access items in the middle or front of the bed without either unloading everything or crawling in the bed and over everything. 

B4F18C4B-72F9-4F6A-82C3-3DC637AA46E5.jpeg

• Like 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

50 minutes ago, Mike D. said:

On our wish list is to add an RTT so our children & grandchildren can join us on adventures.   Some of them are not comfortable with night critters.

Can gators climb?😳

https://rooftopoverland.com/blogs/news/how-to-choose-a-roof-rack-or-bed-rack-for-overlanding

One thing I really like about the GFC setup is that the default opening to the tent is from inside the truck bed, a short climb, though you can add a side or rear door and ladder if you want that option. As long as your bed isn’t stuffed full, you can also climb up by using a stout storage box as a step. I am no longer agile enough to safely climb a spindly 7 foot tall ladder, especially when it is raining😳. Plus, an outside door and rain will definitely get your bedding soaked. This gives you a small “changing area” to shed your wet outer cloathes.

4E846B5D-22D3-48A2-AB2B-4E45C8FF9B83.png.3eaaa1ab3f1d7a51bee8e3f02b4a6987.png

I think this “attic” would be a super hangout for a couple of kids…..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Can gators climb?😳

Actually,  yes, at least some of them. I've heard some can even manage a ladder, with enough incline. 😯

Every year, there are reports of Floridians finding a gator in the pool or patio.  (They can also dig under fences.)

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

7 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Actually,  yes, at least some of them. I've heard some can even manage a ladder, with enough incline. 😯

Every year, there are reports of Floridians finding a gator in the pool or patio.  (They can also dig under fences.)

I have often wondered if certain parts of the country just weren't meant for habitation by people.   😊

• Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We also went with the Leer painted to match our truck with the Thule bars on top. We added Thule Hullavators to lift our 12’ kayaks easily on top. Inside we carry 2 electric bikes, 12’ Clam, a propane fire pit, chairs, a 22” Blackstone Adventurer grill with stand, a 12’ rug, an aluminum table that folds to fit in a bag, a tool box, small air compressor and 2 stackable crates with cords, lights, helmets, battery chargers, etc.  The cover also has lights and it locks with the remote when you lock the truck. We have had no issues at all with leaking. We also have a bed slide that pulls out to easily load and unload items.

8AD47B2E-E44B-40B3-9D78-505AA0D043B1.jpeg

• Like 7

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Awesome setup, @Time2Go! I'd love to see a photo of your truckbed, loaded for camping.

You two are definitely prepared for adventures. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We opted for a high topped (but not the highest topped) A.R.E. shell.  I like the extra height; it's easy to crawl into the back; taller items (e.g., bicycle, chairs, patio rug) can be transported vertically.  Eventually I'll build slide out drawers that can double as a bed platform.   I agree with Jim and Francis: build quality is good but not great.  I really like the flip out side windows for side access.  

IMG_9638.JPG

• Like 5

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Just for grins, it would be fun to park your truck in the HOA with this set up.  "But sir, I just opened up the cover.  I promise to close it next month.  Show me in the bylaws where I can't open my truck bed cover!"

B0621E44-C0B1-40A7-B8EB-0F70A1D8925F.thumb.jpeg.b944da9a06ed38ace1225707dbf5bd98.jpeg

• Haha 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Studying hard and still totally undecided.... I visited a local dealer today (barely made it in the door and they wanted me out because 'closing early' YAY! HOLIDAY!) but I had enough time to touch and open/close the two models on the floor and to see many samples of tonneau covers as well as LOTS of other fun stuff (Decked, BedRug, etc). 

Then I had a text come through from my fellow birding friend in Minnesota with his current TV and cap (loaded to the gills with lumber sticking out the back) and he talked to me about how he can't see at all with his rear-view mirror because 3 layers of glass and more concerning the layers of dirt on that glass stuck up against the back of the truck cab. This makes me want to reconsider the need for a high-cab and reconsider the tonneau. Especially as a person new to towing and one who was raised to always be checking the rear and side-view mirrors; it's all going to be an adjustment, but maybe I'd be more comfortable with the high visibility. And less $ and weight. 

Still thinking.... this has been great to see all the different solutions and hear individual experiences. 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Awesome setup, @Time2Go! I'd love to see a photo of your truckbed, loaded for camping.

You two are definitely prepared for adventures. 

@SeaDawg, next time we camp I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it. We don't always take the bikes depending on weather and only take the kayaks from about late March thru early October here in Texas.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Time2Go! said:

@SeaDawg, next time we camp I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it. We don't always take the bikes depending on weather and only take the kayaks from about late March thru early October here in Texas.

Great if you post it here. 

Have you been happy with the Thule hullavators?  It seems like a great solution for those who are shorter and/ or older. Love to hear your feelings.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I currently use a tonneau cover because I like to be able to climb up into the bed without crouching or being on my knees.  It has obvious drawbacks though.  My model is not as secure as a cap, and if I need to access the bed in the rain my gear gets wet.  

The front of the trailer dominates the view from the rearview mirror while towing.  I leave the rearview camera monitor on all the time and I use it in conjunction with the side mirrors to navigate safely.  

If you prefer a cap, don't let the view in the rearview mirror sway your decision.  Not much there to see anyway.  However, if your TV will also be a daily driver you may be more comfortable with the added visibility afforded by a tonneau cover.

• Like 3

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

We use the diamondback cover which is nicely made and very durable. I needed the visibility during the winter months plowing and could take some abuse for the next decade or two. If I didn’t require the extra rearward visibility I’d probably buy a ARE DCU or similar with toolboxes along with a cargoglide to have easy access to everything. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I am commenting from past experience and future desire, there are two really good fiberglass canopy brands, Leer and ARE, I have used a Leer and I felt it was adequate, but no more than that. To avoid long term hassles, you have to spec the canopy so cleaning the back of the truck cab isn’t a nightmare, and so you can get good ventilation. They all leak dust and water, so you need to use weatherproof containers or covers. None of them hold up well on rough washboard roads……  check the warranty to see if that would be considered abuse. Few are rated to carry much on a roof rack, the Leer can be ordered with factory installed rails and a thicker roof structure.

In an alternate future I would have a Power Wagon with a Go Fast Camper on it, so I could boondock a couple of nights in the rooftop tent when exploring the back country, while “Mouse” is safely parked at a more developed base camp campground. The last I heard, GFC was backlogged forever, but recently they have been hiring and working extra shifts to meet the demand.

B0621E44-C0B1-40A7-B8EB-0F70A1D8925F.thumb.jpeg.b944da9a06ed38ace1225707dbf5bd98.jpeg

https://gofastcampers.com/

John Davies

Spokane WA

John

Take a look at ALU Cab / ALU Cabin  for the full size 6.5 bed if you could give your thoughts.

much appreciated. 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

12 hours ago, Landrover said:

John

Take a look at ALU Cab / ALU Cabin  for the full size 6.5 bed if you could give your thoughts.

much appreciated. 

I know nothing about either, but they look like a top notch product. The Cabin is brand new, so there may be first year teething pains and problems. The rear door would be great, that area is where the dust enters normally. I do prefer to buy a made in USA product. The Go Fast Campers have exquisite engineering and design, just check out their hold down clamps and hinges. They are made in central Montana, not Africa. Plus the structure is steel tubing, a more robust choice than aluminum. It is all a moot point for me, but if you decide to research these products and post a thread, I would be eager to read it. I haven’t seen either in person, perhaps Overland has?

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I know nothing about either, but they look like a top notch product. The Cabin is brand new, so there may be first year teething pains and problems. The rear door would be great, that area is where the dust enters normally. I do prefer to buy a made in USA product. The Go Fast Capers have exquisite engineering and design, just check out their hold down clamps and hinges. They are made in central Montana, not Africa. Plus the structure is steel tubing, a more robust choice than aluminum. It is all a moot point for me, but if you decide to research these products and post a thread, I would be eager to read it. I haven’t seen either in person, perhaps Overland has?

Thanks John

valued opinion I’m in the looking stages. Like you I’m always looking at the good bad and ugly and don’t like to buy unless I get up close and personal I have to touch it. It’s amazing how many big items are being purchased by a internet picture or video.

Thanks

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

15 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Studying hard and still totally undecided.... I visited a local dealer today (barely made it in the door and they wanted me out because 'closing early' YAY! HOLIDAY!) but I had enough time to touch and open/close the two models on the floor and to see many samples of tonneau covers as well as LOTS of other fun stuff (Decked, BedRug, etc). 

Then I had a text come through from my fellow birding friend in Minnesota with his current TV and cap (loaded to the gills with lumber sticking out the back) and he talked to me about how he can't see at all with his rear-view mirror because 3 layers of glass and more concerning the layers of dirt on that glass stuck up against the back of the truck cab. This makes me want to reconsider the need for a high-cab and reconsider the tonneau. Especially as a person new to towing and one who was raised to always be checking the rear and side-view mirrors; it's all going to be an adjustment, but maybe I'd be more comfortable with the high visibility. And less $ and weight. 

Still thinking.... this has been great to see all the different solutions and hear individual experiences. 

We have the backup camera for the Ollie and when towing it becomes my rearview mirror.  Like you I am always checking around.  Good luck with your decision.  We use a tonneau cover as that was the set up long before we had the Ollie.  If I were starting new I would consider the cap with racks and side opening windows.  

• Love 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:53 AM, John E Davies said:

I am well past the “sleep in a bag” stage of my life. I carry one for a real emergency, but no way will I sleep in one willingly. Too many critters. A RTT at least gets you out of the bugs and snakes, if not out of reach of a griz.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Before our pop-up tent trailer days, we used to have a stand up tent with 2 cots that allow us to sleep off of the ground. Now with the Ollie, I am looking for a new similar tent (still got the 2 cots) so the grand kids can go camping with us. We have square sleeping bags that can be unzipped so they are almost like sheets.

We do not have the issues here in New England that out west has with bears. No posion snakes and after spring passes little bugs (somewhat).  

We use a tonneau cover which was purchased before the Ollie.  If I were starting new, I would consider the cap with racks and side opening windows and carry the bikes on the cap roof instead at the rear of the Ollie.

Happy Holidays  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

Before our pop-up tent trailer days, we used to have a stand up tent with 2 cots that allow us to sleep off of the ground. Now with the Ollie, I am looking for a new similar tent (still got the 2 cots) so the grand kids can go camping with us.

We use a Marmot Halo tent when we’re away from the Ollie, and really like it. Plenty of room for two cots with room to walk around them, and the halo feature really expands the stand up room beyond the center of the tent. It’s held up well for several years, and weathered some good winds.

3244661A-ADAC-44DD-A749-BC04DB860136.thumb.jpeg.4eafe86c14ec1035e219b72e5107c4e3.jpeg

• Like 3