Choices! Truck Cargo Caps, Toppers, Shells, Tonneau Covers, High-roof Hardtops and more... Oh my!

Boudicca908

For people interested in over landing vehicles, check out NutHouse Industries. We can haul 3 to 4 bikes over the cab. Also 2 18 foot sea kayaks. The kayaks have to be removed to raise the tent. We have an extra full size spare under the RTT. Also set up with hi-lift Jack, 18,500 # warn winch, land anchor, 2 burner stove, water tank with pump, ARB fridge, and an attached shower/toilet stall that folds out in about a minute. We carry a portable propane water heater for the shower. 6E68F0D1-AF33-4A08-963C-F356A73D45A6.thumb.jpeg.6f76d2a704b70aa4a2d589b84a72766c.jpeg7F97E2F2-3F2B-4A1C-BDBD-0F65F91B0901.thumb.jpeg.1805809d55815f7a80868d9749f3bc2e.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Like some of the others, I have a Bak Flip on my RAM truck.  It has served me well.  However, I've had to repair the back latch and discovered that a well placed tire iron could easily pry the rivets from the thin sheet metal if someone wanted into the bed of the truck while parked.  Couple of other considerations.  My Bak Flip requires you to close the tailgate first and the cover second which is counter intuitive (at least for every delivery person that has helped me load my truck)  Also, because it flips up, it prevents the use of most ladder rack type systems (we'd like to carry a couple of kyaks over the bed and still have access).  Finally when fully retracted, it blocks the rear window preventing me from seeing if the straps holding my motorcycle are still tight. 

My son-in- law has a Peragon cover on his Raptor.  I'm aways jelous how easily it opens and closes.

• Like 3

Big Texas – 2018 Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #306

2015 RAM 1500 3L EcoDiesel, Anderson hitch

• Moderators

The older BAKflip covers required the tailgate to be closed first before the last section of the tonneau cover.  My first one was like that.  The new covers (last couple of years) don’t require that.  The tailgate can be closed and the last section will just snap down when closed.  Much more convenient.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 12/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, Mike D. said:

On our wish list is to add an RTT so our children & grandchildren can join us on adventures.   Some of them are not comfortable with night critters.

One more item for the GFC, this thread might be informative.

https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/camping-in-a-gfc-with-kids/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, LongStride said:

I currently use a tonneau cover because I like to be able to climb up into the bed without crouching or being on my knees.  It has obvious drawbacks though.  My model is not as secure as a cap, and if I need to access the bed in the rain my gear gets wet.  

The front of the trailer dominates the view from the rearview mirror while towing.  I leave the rearview camera monitor on all the time and I use it in conjunction with the side mirrors to navigate safely.  

If you prefer a cap, don't let the view in the rearview mirror sway your decision.  Not much there to see anyway.  However, if your TV will also be a daily driver you may be more comfortable with the added visibility afforded by a tonneau cover.

Adding a bedslide was a game changer for us under our topper. I found it on Marketplace for $600 ($2300 new plus tax) and my husband & I installed it ourselves. Just stand at the back of the truck, squeeze the release and pull the bed slide out like a drawer. We can pretty much reach anything from there. Sure makes a huge difference in loading and unloading things.

• Like 3

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 12/23/2021 at 5:13 PM, SeaDawg said:

Great if you post it here. 

Have you been happy with the Thule hullavators?  It seems like a great solution for those who are shorter and/ or older. Love to hear your feelings.

We LOVE our hullavator pros. They are not cheap but I found one new in the box on Marketplace for $225 and paid full retail for the other but had to order from Seattle to Texas as that was the only place that I could find a second one. Our truck is a 4x4 F250 and there is no safe way we would be able to load the 12' kayaks on top of the camper shell. It would take both of us being on ladders and lifting 65# over our heads. With the hullivator the arms pull down to the side of the truck and we load and tie down in less than 5 minutes. Release the arms and the struts take care of 40# of the weight lifting up. We have a pull behind trailer that I used to pull with our jeep and we would take the RV, 2 vehicles and the kayak trailer if we were camping nearby. This is MUCH easier.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 4:17 PM, Mike and Carol said:

The older BAKflip covers required the tailgate to be closed first before the last section of the tonneau cover.  My first one was like that.  The new covers (last couple of years) don’t require that.  The tailgate can be closed and the last section will just snap down when closed.  Much more convenient.  Mike

Yep, I got a BakFlip MX4 last October. Works as advertised. Forgot about the Stake Hole covers at first though! I've got a sprayed-on liner, so no rail caps ('89 C1500). Saw the cover burping a little bit in the side mirror. They're on Amazon pretty cheap.

Truck Bed Cover 20211013.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

2008, with 2008 undercover.  We don't carry bikes.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I'm an owner of this companies products. Flatbed and quick-mount boxes on a dually Ford. https://highwayproducts.com/work-truck/flatbed

Similar to the OPs search, I'm looking to spec a topper or tonneau for a new truck. I've owned SnugTop, Leer and ARE. Build quality is as stated by some...just OK. All have leaked water and dust, cracked and overall been disappointing.  

I've a new Ford Super Duty, 7.3 gas,  on order (Feb 2022), delivery TBD according to chip availability. Hopefully arrives next month. 

Simply due to owner experience and top notch build quality I'm leaning towards this: Highway Products Pickup Pack

A plus with this company is if you want something custom, they'll do it. 

DSC02934.jpeg

• Like 2

AZARCACODEGAIDILINIAKSKYMEMDMAMIMNMOMTNE

Buddy of mine has this on a Tacoma. https://atoverland.com/pages/at-atlas-truck-topper

He had the Summit version and hated the tip up feature due to not enough room for your feet in the sleeping set-up. He likes the Atlas and build quality is very good. 

He asked me to travel to the factory with him and check out the Go Fast unit. Hard pass...best left at that and anyone considering one you'll be well served to perform proper due diligence. Concept to execution is always a challenge. 

• Like 1

AZARCACODEGAIDILINIAKSKYMEMDMAMIMNMOMTNE