Christmas dinner?

snakeriveridaho

Hello everyone! So, what people like to cook for the holidays? For us this time of year, we like homemade pierogis.

image.thumb.jpg.f1537704f2b7df6e942bec51bee5c4fd.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Wow Overland! That pie looks incredible! And I would love to finish up with some Key Lime pie, rideandfly 😋.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

Christmas goes on for several days in our family. 

Christmas eve day brunch included ham, fruit, smoked salmon, eggs, and vaffler, those norwegian heart shaped waffles that we all love.

Dinner used to be traditional fish, or oyster stew. This year, prime rib on the smoker, perfect medium rare. Tomorrow,  brunch/early dinner at my Florida sister's. I'll bring the quiches. We'll not do lutefisk and lefse, but I'm sure that's on my Minnesota sister's menu .

We feel blessed to enjoy tradition and new, and, more importantly,  enjoy the company of family and friends. 

• Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I assume that the pierogis are filled with mashed potatoes?  Nicely done no matter!

Like a bunch of "Bills" cherry pie is one of my favorites but I'm not so sure about that "roasted red" side.  Perhaps with enough wine during the main course I'd be right there with the best of them?🤩

We could not find a nice ham locally for Christmas dinner tonight - so - we bought and will have a nice beef roast instead.

January is going to be painful as it is then I will be paying the price for eating too much!

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, we filled a third with a potato mixture, a third with sauerkraut, and a third with a roasted beef/pork mixture. 

Ride and fly’s plate is very well presented. Nice colors and agree with Overland, nice symmetrical plate. 

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

We area little boring I smoked a citrus turkey that I soaked in a Citrus Brine.  Started smoking a midnight last night and pulled it off at Noon.   My wife made a Pecan pie, loaded with Pecans, with a snack of smoked cheese, sausage and smoked candied Pecans. 

• Like 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

We mesquite smoked a brined and lemon pepper dry rubbed 7# roaster in our Traeger pellet grill. Enjoyed a few sides and I actually skipped desert which was a pumpkin cheese cake. 
36C58A81-25D8-4064-807E-8E3738448C10.thumb.jpeg.5f924b18fb09fcacc8417217bd15f390.jpeg

89D776B1-7B7D-4AE5-8B50-5208625C323A.thumb.jpeg.55e694159282283b83ac2bc287f046e8.jpeg

Oh the crispy bacon!

31ECD800-2BCA-4661-BC6D-89EF842BC31F.thumb.jpeg.37c9d5acca2ae0143f9808d9eb38b14e.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

All those pictures make my mouth water. They all looked great.

We cooked Lobster and shrimp for our Christmas eve dinner. Cooked two extra lobsters, so we had lobster sandwiches this afternoon.

Chocolate and cheri cupcakes with ice cream on top for desert while play cribbage. 

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Dewdev, 

It’s hard to beat lobster!  Sounds great. 

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

2 hours ago, thompsonkd said:

Hey Overland! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the pie? 

Sure thing:

Taoseño Pie

Roast, peel, seed and chop:

3-4 medium red chiles

Mix in saucepan:

2 T cornstarch

¼ cup sugar (none if using sweetened cherries)

Add and heat until thick:

Juice from 2 cans of cherries (preferably dark unsweetened)

Add: 

½ t almond extract

2 cans drained cherries

Line pie or tart pan with dough from biscochito recipe, add cherry filling, decorate with biscochito shapes. 

Bake on convection at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

Biscochitos

Cream: 

1 cup sugar 

1 cup lard plus 1 cup butter

Add:

2 eggs

4 t Cointreau 

2 t vanilla extract 

Zest of one orange

Mix separately, then slowly add:

1 T baking powder

1 t salt

2 t cracked or whole anise 

6 cups unbleached all purpose flour

Roll to ¼”, cut into shapes, and bake on convection at 350 for 12 minutes. 

The biscochito recipe is pretty standard, but you can look online for variations.  If I’m making them just for me, then I’ll use all lard rather than half butter, but some people don’t like that flavor and half and half still gives a good texture.  I usually sneak in a little extra anise for me as well.  The pie is my own invention - I call it Taoseño Pie because I like saying Taoseño  …Taoseño…  Maybe they’ll name something for me one day.  You’ll find plenty of green chile apple pie recipes around NM but I’ve never seen cherry and red chile, which is odd to me because roasted red chiles, especially the native NM varieties, have really strong cherry notes, imo.  So I think you’ll find that the flavors meld really well, and to me has just the right amount of heat.  Pair it with some vanilla ice cream if you want to cool your tongue.  I’ve also made it with a few spoonfuls of green chile added in but that ups the heat considerably.  So, experiment.

bon appetit 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, thompsonkd said:

And, would  the pie and cocktail go well together?

If you have enough of the cocktail prior to the pie then what does it matter?🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

If you have enough of the cocktail prior to the pie then what does it matter?🤩

Maybe if you get a set like Ina Garten's lockdown shaker and martini glass?

20211227_095444.thumb.jpg.96ef7cb25dc4f407f8bcafd6f5d8f3e8.jpgScreenshot_20211227-095305_Chrome.thumb.jpg.742fb0444a05f52690441a5e06fd5bc3.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

21 hours ago, thompsonkd said:

Okay, how do you make a Snowball Cocktail? Maybe we should call the pie Snowball Pie? And, would  the pie and cocktail go well together?

Probably not, since it's citrusy.  But cognac pairs well.  It's pretty snooty pie.

To make a Snowball and impress your friends:

1. Make one of these.

2. Insist that its original name was a Snowball...which it was.

In a pinch, you can make it with Disaronno instead of orgeat, since the latter is impossible to find.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Overland said:

Probably not, since it's citrusy.  But cognac pairs well.  It's pretty snooty pie.

Pretty cocktail, but I think I'd enjoy the cognac, more. 🙂 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

So, tonight my neighbors brought me a most unusual Christmas gift, a Swiss two tiered raclette grill. I've never seen, nor used one, but I  think it will be a fun new Christmas tradition for our families to enjoy together. (She was born in France, but her mom has lived in Switzerland for many years.)

If any of you have great recipes or ideas to share, I'd love to see them. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4