Recommendation for Pet Monitoring System

Coach and JoJo

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Are you looking for camera monitoring?  Temperature?

I don’t use anything for the former, but I imagine a simple google/nest camera would work fine, and could also alert you to a lot of barking. Internet required, of course, either your own via cellular/satellite or campground Wi-Fi. 

For temperature we have used both temp stick and most recently the SensorPush . Both require an active network to monitor remotely. Neither is inexpensive, but if you want to use multiple sensors, the SensorPush is probably the more affordable. You do need to purchase a Wi-Fi gateway for remote sensing, but that gateway can connect to an unlimited number of sensors.  TempSticks sensors are 3x the cost of a SP sensor, but are each an independent device and do not require using a separate gateway.

SensorPush HT1 Wireless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Temp Stick Wireless Remote... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1OPOZB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

The basic problem with any solution is connectivity. If BOTH your phone AND the device don’t have good signals, then the system can’t function. There are vast areas in the west without a signal. But a cellular based one with temperature email/ text alerts is probably your best solution, just be very aware of its VERY serious limitations. For the eastern USA it would probably be satisfactory. For most of the remote western parks and monuments, it will most likely be kaput, Tango Uniform. Be sure to study cellular service maps for the places you plan to visit.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

I've also looked for electronic monitoring systems. I don't have one for all the above reasons.

We been traveling with up to three dogs for over 14 years. We just use plain common sense. If the temperature is going to be above 65 and they are in the truck we would not leave them all day. We actually usually leave the windows down about half way. One of the dogs is a 100 pound Doberman and we aren't too concerned about people reaching in. In the trailer I would not worry even if the temps are in the 80's. We leave the windows open and the fan running. We've slept inside with the temps much hotter and nobody's dead yet. If it's Mississippi or south Texas in mid August and we need to leave them in the truck for an hour or so, we just leave it running with the windows up and doors locked (diesel truck). If longer than an hour, in the trailer with the generator running and the A/C on.

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

It's summer, and of course , we travel with our little dog. 

We don't leave her alone unless we've looked at the weather report, and we won't be gone for more than four hours. 

I've seen some great reviews on marcell. 

Has anyone here used marcell?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We installed the Micro-Air EZtouch RV Thermostat which works marvelously. It sends me a text when the inside temp reaches the temperature I have deemed unacceptable. 

I am currently researching cellular/hotspot plans so have only used it via local wifi.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 1 year later...

So...  after having converted our Starlink kit from 120vAC to 12vDC last month, we bought a cheap ($22) pan/tilt WiFi camera from Amazon.  We leave the Starlink energized and the inverter on (to power the camera - which we'll convert to DC after we're home from this trip).  We had great WiFi coverage in Old Mexico yesterday while monitoring the Knuckleheads in the Casablanca - one country away.  The Micro-Air WiFi thermostat allows us to monitor and change interior temps for the furry beasts while away.  We're pleased with the set up...

Screenshot2024-02-11at8_56_08AM.thumb.png.7857f69706aa2e60a7bc515e491d5d53.png

Typical quality of the image from the Casablanca Puppy Cam:

Screenshot2024-02-11at8_58_11AM.thumb.png.4d965ca382b207ef1032a2b5a7fdd700.png

"Pet Obsessed"?  Yup!

Cheers,

A & D

Edited by MAX Burner
fixed a typo

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX