Tire Cover Knob Frozen Stuck

Anyone know a reliable way to unstick the knurled knob that holds the spare tire cover on? I put lube on exposed threads and use a rubber mallet on the knob without success. A few months ago I have removed it and reinstalled with no problem. Probably should have put lube on threads at that time, but didn't. Thank you for your help. I need the spare now as I have a flat I cannot repair.  Duane Smelser

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

This knob?

35827164_ScreenShot2021-12-29at4_03_45PM.png.496da40ea831d1f36e618535b57e2f2d.png

Maybe the socket end of a ratchet extension would stay put on the end of the one of the arms so that you can whack it with a hammer, if you can get enough angle to make it work.  

Thinking of tools you're sure to have on hand - how about the tire iron that Oliver supplies?  You could place that against an arm and then hit it with whatever you can find.  

Maybe too see if there's any play in the tire cover - if so you could try wiggling it around to see if the nut will loosen up any.

• Like 2

Try putting a adjustable wrench on the knob and then putting a open end wrench on the adjustable wrench (near the knob) to be able to twist the adjustable wrench/knob.

Good luck

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Duane - 

Assuming that you do not mean that it is "frozen" due to below freezing temps and water then you can always used the spray can form of Liquid Wrench - heck even WD-40 would probably be enough if that is all you can find.  If you go this route then some light taps with a hammer, wrench, ratchet extension, etc. would help to loosen it up once sprayed.  Obviously, if its a water issue with freezing temps then a simple hair dryer used to warm it up is probably enough.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you aren’t broken down on the side of the road somewhere and have a little while to work on it I would try one of these.  I also applied some dry silicone lube to the threaded stud and the knob goes on and off much easier. 

08535A68-A338-4455-9177-7B31B1FE4FC4.thumb.png.29da7177068429a51657065a68d5af40.png

• Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Thank you all for you ideas. I will try hair dryer first. It is below freezing here and it could be moisture got on the threads. Next I'll try a better penetrating lube spray with wrenches and hammer. If those don't work, I'll get the axle socket at Napa. I'll let you know how it goes. Duane

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

If it's frozen (due to water and temperature) and IF that knob is made of plastic, I'd be cautious about whacking it. My experience with plastics and freezing temps is that they can become more brittle.... 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

IF that knob is made of plastic

Those knobs are metal as is the "bolt" it is on.  However, even metal can and will crack (particularly in colder weather) if struck either just right or too hard.  Tapping is a bit more like it.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you end up resorting to spray lube, with tapping, PB Blaster is my preferred penetrating lube.  It smells awful, but gets the job done if you spray, allow to soak in, tap-tap-tap; spray, allow to soak in, tap-tap-tap, etc.  Place some shop towels underneath it to catch drips, as it is stinky, oily and can make a mess.  But it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-PB-PENETRATING-Lubricant-OZ/dp/B00XOSYNM6/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=CjwKCAiAzrWOBhBjEiwAq85QZw2ytU7Zjy20DT2TziBOTsHn2XyJajdmoLwrNdJp8EFrT0uyOVaSoxoChKsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177553433943&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9029558&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16144056585949407947&hvtargid=kwd-10463478193&hydadcr=6400_9585557&keywords=pb+blaster+penetrating+oil&qid=1640879144&sr=8-4

Thanks for your original post.  My wife and I take delivery of our Elite II in September.  Among many other things I have learned from informed posters on this forum, I plan to take some nickel-based anti-sieze compound with me to put on the spare tire bolt threads during the initial "shake-down" period.

Good luck!  Looking forward to your report.

Edited by Rivernerd
typo
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg