Will Oliver utilize a dealer network in the future?

ChrisMI

Noticed that myself. It’s interesting wording, isn’t it?

Regardless if it’s a slip or just bad wording, it could only be a bad thing if it’s poorly implemented, and there’s no reason to assume it would be. They could certainly use a west coast presence, if nothing else, perhaps a Canadian one, and any additional place to get service would be welcome.

I can imagine some questions arising about pricing, dealer vs factory direct.

I’d be curious, only because I’m curious about random things, if there’s some accounting advantage to Oliver treating it’s sales group as a separate entity, selling to them and then they in turn sell to the customer.  If only I knew an accountant to ask. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisMI said:

I noticed some dealer installed/available options on the trailer upgrade section of the website. I’m not going to read into it that too much but was curious if others feel that’s a good idea. 

I think it's just wording,  not actual intent to have dealers.   The present system of owners showing the trailers to interested people and a network of RV shops that they have worked with around the country to service the trailers seems to work for them.   Looking at the number of trailers that they're able to build in the last couple years is further evidence that they are building to the demand.   Just my opinion. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

7 hours ago, John Welte said:

Looking at the number of trailers that they're able to build in the last couple years is further evidence that they are building to the demand. 

This massive increase in production rate/capacity is one reason why they might be considering dealers in the future. If overall market demand drops off they could keep producing at full tilt to place inventory on dealer lots throughout the US. Going this direction vs slowing down production might be advantageous for both the companies bottom line and keeping the skilled workforce busy and employed. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Overland said:

I’d be curious, only because I’m curious about random things, if there’s some accounting advantage to Oliver treating it’s sales group as a separate entity, selling to them and then they in turn sell to the customer.  If only I knew an accountant to ask. 

Within the past two years I was told that for several reasons Oliver had structured so that production actually did/does sell finished units to the Sales area who then, in turn, sells them to the final retail customer.  Probably the first reason had to do with Tennessee state accounting rules/tax laws that require this form of structure.  But, it was also done to allow for an additional level of quality control. 

Bill 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

9 hours ago, John Welte said:

I think it's just wording

As a current customer in the process of finalizing my options, I can attest that my excellent sales team (that included several people) made me aware that there are "dealer options" for additional things that I can purchase "on day of pickup" from them (them -- OTT) rather than having to decide right now. These seemed to include things like: 

• Oliver cover
  • Clam screen room
  • the rug and chairs (Oliver brand might be on the chairs)

So I believe that it's just wording -- and yes, indeed, might be related to tax structure. 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

4 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

This massive increase in production rate/capacity is one reason why they might be considering dealers in the future. If overall market demand drops off they could keep producing at full tilt to place inventory on dealer lots throughout the US. Going this direction vs slowing down production might be advantageous for both the companies bottom line and keeping the skilled workforce busy and employed. 

I just hope that quality doesn't suffer due to the faster rate of production.   We plan on getting our trailer in March,  2023.  We are buying this trailer because of its quality. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
4 hours ago, John Welte said:

I just hope that quality doesn't suffer due to the faster rate of production.   We plan on getting our trailer in March,  2023.  We are buying this trailer because of its quality. 

Based on many recent happy owners at pickup, I  think this is under control.

Oliver has pushed orders out to the future (note the very long wait time), which can try the patience as you wait, but I'd rather that.

Every rampup has shown training and growing pains, but systems,  imo, are way better these days. And, continue to improve with customer input.

My 2008 was one of the "originals." With all the newness of that day,  I'd still rather have it than any of the other brands out there. That build quality is baked in. We'll just see how it goes for the next 14 seasons ... 😀

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

10 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

As a current customer in the process of finalizing my options, I can attest that my excellent sales team (that included several people) made me aware that there are "dealer options" for additional things that I can purchase "on day of pickup" from them (them -- OTT) rather than having to decide right now. These seemed to include things like: 

• Oliver cover
  • Clam screen room
  • the rug and chairs (Oliver brand might be on the chairs)

So I believe that it's just wording -- and yes, indeed, might be related to tax structure. 

We were just at the sales and service office a month ago.  They are definitely selling the additional items outlined here plus Webber grills and other assorted items that a new Oliver owner might want.  In fact they were re arranging "the store" the day we picked up our Ollie from service.  I am glad they're doing this.  They have a quality brand.  I have received several positive comments on our Ollie and interest in the brand.  Most are very happy when I tell them about Oliver being a family business based in TN. Those who have done research all point to how well they are built and quality reputation.  Many have never heard of Oliver but look at our trailer and are very impressed.  The more the brand is in the market and desired the better for Oliver and Oliver owners.  I would hate to see them sold at dealers like Airstream.  I could understand a 2nd Oliver owned and operated Sales and Service center somewhere in the west.

• Like 1

I personally never see the top 5 leading manufactures of fiberglass travel trailers have a dealer network, with the exception of Big Foot and they also manufacture cabover campers which the other don't. Cutting out the middle man in todays world when you can sell all you can manufacture is much more profitable for them. and could be a way of the future for some products. Ford Motor Company has even given some thought to this, but don't know where they stand on this at this time. I think if I owned one of these companies I would be smiling all the way to the bank, remember just a turn in the economy, or higher fuel prices your business could turn south right quick.  Even Oliver had to shutdown for a time back in the day, just lucky Mr. Oliver had the incite to make adjustments and return to Oliver trailer production. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.