Picture of Weboost antenna mounting

Landsplash

Does anyone have a picture of the mounting method for a WeBoost antenna on an E1 or E2?

I plan to install a Drive Reach RV antenna soon, and am curious how Oliver originally mounted the WeBoost antennas.   (I believe the newer ones are no longer WeBoost models).   

Also, it seems like the antenna is usually mounted behind the AC unit... any reason for this position vs. mounting near the front of the trailer?  It seems like mounting near the bathroom vents would allow for less antenna obstructoin?

Thanks!

-Andy

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Landsplash said:

any reason for this position vs. mounting near the front of the trailer?

Yes - in many cases owners have installed both a cell booster and a WiFi booster.  Apparently it is a good thing to keep these two devices separate and the factory usually mounted the WiFi in the front with the cell in the back for this reason.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The little 6” stubby rubber Weboost magnetic cellular antenna is a lot more protected from a wayward tree branch in back, where it is not the highest object on the roof.  It sticks to a 6” square steel plate. Even there it could get knocked off, I routinely check to make sure it is still there each time I hitch up, or after going under a low hanging tree branch. It is a miserable excuse for an antenna, it doesn’t have nearly enough groundplane to work well, and the AC steel ducting, motor and compressor block a good part of the coverage. It would be OK for the top of a steel car roof….. There are lots better choices but they are even more vulnerable, or you must use a temporary tall mast. That is how I would mount your Drive Reach one. 

I would put a telescoping 20 foot mast at the rear bumper frame (forward of the bumper), or alternately, if you are OK with climbing up to the roof twice every time you camp, use a stainless marine antenna folding mount, so it can travel horizontal to the roof. I would be really interested to read about this antenna, please post an installation thread. I might do this mod eventually. Sometimes I wish our Ollies came with ladders.

0A8FB0F4-304F-4F4E-AB2C-CADFF1D26431.thumb.jpeg.b549d59bdc2d8ddbb2054d3c91445868.jpeg

https://assets.wilsonelectronics.com/m/700bdbf86910493c/original/Drive-Reach-RV-Installation-Guide.pdf

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

That would work well if you wanted to extend the antenna really high.  

In my case, a simpler solution, maybe less costly, but certainly more durable would be to design a frangible mount that could take a tree strike and not harm the antenna.  Maybe something like this Crayola sketch.

JPR Edit;  Looking at it again, it may be better to angle the mount forward over the hull vs. towards the rear.  Would require a different mix of fittings, but would actually be simpler to find the materials.  Plumbing fittings would be 2 each 45 degree and one "T" and one 90 degree elbows that are easy to locate vs. the street "Y".   Not shown are two clamps for a ground plane.

Please pardon the fact that the sketch is not to scale and no dimensions are shown as I don't have access to my Ollie until next May.  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

image.png.11c1d7e94d56b58faccf3ef78961511d.png

image.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Lots of useful ideas here, including a telescoping hitch mounted flagpole antenna: 
Using Directional Cellular Antennas: Pros & Cons, Aiming and Tips

Here is my pole and mount setup, the pole is the same as the one in the video, I would perhaps use this pole for an antenna, but would prefer something more sturdy (less flexing and movement at the top). Mine is the taller 22 foot model. Their shorter one would work better for an antenna IMHO, or the long pole could be shortened by removing the top two or three sections. But I would probably use a locking painters pole (with pin lock, not twist lock)

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3371-flag-pole-and-mount/

If you want any ideas about hardware, we can continue this thread, I have some possibilities.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.