Truma Comfort Plus via Modification

Overland

Who wants to take their Truma apart?  You know, for the benefit of mankind.

PMing with someone about this so I thought I’d post my idea for discussion.  See, I have this suspicion that the only thing that separates the Truma Comfort model that Oliver installs, from the Comfort Plus model with the recirculating line, is a single little copper tee. If that’s the case, then the more adventurous, perhaps foolhardy, of you might be able to upgrade those units.  The software for the two models seems to be the same.  

I can’t do it myself, of course, due to laziness and lack of need.  But you all know I would if I could.

Here’s the part in question, the little tee just inside the inlet labeled 3:

69CE12DD-2706-4F85-AC8F-2652B768D731.thumb.png.bd3e8da56d25d2d54831b1ae26f14094.png

That tee, and the line it would attach to, are missing on the model Oliver installs.

Intuitively, you’d think that there’s a separate pump for the circulator, but apparently they’re just using the same pump they do for internal circulation, and depend on the pressure difference at the points of connection to make the water circulate through the trailer.

So I really do think that if there’s room inside the unit to add the tee, then you could do the conversion. Loss of warranty, chance of destroying your Truma, etc, etc.

Should be fun.  Any takers?😂

• Wow 1

Has it occurred to you to ask Truma customer service if your unit can be converted to the Plus version? if it is as simple as adding the tee and return lines, then they might even offer a factory kit and instructions. They might also tell you why it can’t be done, if that is the case, so you don’t risk burning out your unit for some reason.

I would attempt this, if I had a Truma. But since I don’t, I will hang out in the background to see where this topic ends up. Post pictures, or it never happened.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Truma doesn’t even sell the Comfort Plus retail.  It’s only offered via a factory install, so it’s highly unlikely that they’d offer an upgrade. For good reason, since the unit depends on a properly plumbed recirculating line to work - could you imagine doing the customer service with amateur installed units?  

I’m not seriously asking anyone to do this, of course - just throwing the idea out there since I know at least a few people have thought about adding a separate circulation line and pump.  Thought it would be interesting to discuss.  I already have the Comfort Plus with the recirculator, so I can attest to its value.  It’s been nice (at least since I fixed Oliver’s plumbing error* 😡😂).

* justifying Truma’s decision not to sell the unit retail. Until I found and fixed the problem, I’d just assumed that the problem was with the Truma. I thought it was unreliable and not worth it, but now I love it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Truma refuses to sell most of their products retail.

My guess? They don't want their image damaged by amateur installations. And, i get that.

Unfortunately,  I  think many people here are very, very capable, and could do a pro install. But, they don't know that. 😒

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Meh.

"The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything" Teddy Roosevelt. 

similar quotes attributed to lots of smart folks.

Doesn't mean we have to publish them. Just learn from them, right?

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.