Extended Warranty at Purchase or Not ??

Skigator

Happy New Year 🎉  Ollie folks !!

Picking up Hull #985 next week & and I am still wrestling with getting the Extended Warranty.

We are newbies to the trailer world and would appreciate any advice , Pro vs Con on purchasing the Extended Warranty.

Many thanks.  Wishing all a healthy 2022.

Safe travels..........

Cheers !!

ed

OPINION ONLY.  I personally am not generally a big fan of extended warranties.   I am more a fan on new electronics that are not as proven.  I don't purchase them on new vehicles and personal feeling is the fine print in the warranty seems to never provide coverage for what is needed.  Again personal opinion.   I didn't purchase the warranty on our Ollie as I felt Oliver's warranty on the trailer was pretty good and it would more likely be the components like fridge, ac, water heater that would fail.  I also figured if those components failed it would likely be early on.  This proved true in our first 6 months with the fridge.  We had a tech solve the problem and no issues since.  So far no issues with the he Ollie in 100+ days of use and 7000 miles.  I would look carefully at what the extended warranty covers and how long, specifically on appliances etc.  Of course, each person needs to make these decisions for themselves.  Others may differ in opinion and that is ok.  Just sharing our decision and rationale.  We also live 1400 miles from the factory.  Congratulations on your new Ollie.  Enjoy your camping and travel with it.  Be prepared for folks to ask questions and want to see your Ollie.  Safe, healthy, and happy camping.  

• Like 4

• Moderators

I ditto what is said above.  And, would add a proviso that you consider what your own financial situation can handle.  Once the original components are out of warranty  can you afford to quickly replace an air conditioner or fridge?  These extended warranties are basically insurance policies.  If you can afford to self-insure it is highly likely that you will gain in the long run.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We never buy extended warranties on anything.  They are "hard sold"  precisely because they are high-profit items for the seller, and therefore low-return for the buyer.  And, the hassle of actually obtaining a replacement under an extended warranty at least doubles the time required to replace the covered item.

If the extended warranty were offered and administered by Oliver, it would be a bit more attractive, because of Oliver's outstanding Customer Service department.  But, the extended warranty is sold by American Guardian Warranty Services.  We are not interested.

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Yeah - fully agree with points above. A key point is that if you can "self insure" - ie if you can afford to replace some items if they prematurely fail, then you will in the long run almost certainly do better than if you'd gotten all the extended warranties. The folks selling those have a much better sense of mean time between failures and have actuaries doing the math to determine a profitable price for the extended warranties - their profit equals the warranty purchaser's loss (again, on average).

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

I didn't even know such a thing was available....but I wouldn't have purchased if I had.  The only extended warranties I get are AppleCare (I take advantage of that one a LOT) and anything that is added automatically via purchase with a specific credit card.  Otherwise, we "self insure".

mb

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

I never have purchased an extended warranty and have never had to pay more money on total repairs then the cost of an extended warranty policy, In fact I spend very little money on repairs on todays vehicles, their quality is so much better today.  I do trade every 5-6 years and my millage is between 60,000-70,000 miles when I trade.  If you think you need a extended warranty, buy the manufactures policy, not some Joe Blow company as you may find all repair shops will not work on your vehicle under that off brand policy. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

It depends. We don't usually buy extended warranties. I did buy one on my Samsung fridge, and wish I'd bought a longer one. Love the fridge, hate the problematic ice machine. Love the lifetime warranty we bought on the 2008 ram, because we've kept it so long, and we are way ahead. 

With the Oliver,  even if it had been offered way back then, we'd likely have declined. If something breaks, we'll likely fix it, or replace it with newer tech.

Much has to do with your skills, risk adverse thermometer, and pocketbook. But we had so few real issues over the years, I know the insurance company would have made money on us. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.