Honda E2200I companion generator and neutral ground plug

MarkC

Ordered a OTT and will be delivered Sept. with lithium battery package.  I've been reading about the neutral ground plug and not sure how it works yet...only that I need one.  Looking at the Honda e2200I companion generator...it has 1ea, 125v and 1ea, 30v  receptacle.  I plug the neutral ground plug into the 125v and the 30amp into the trailer.  Correct, so far?  My question is...what if I want to run a 125v  tool at the generator while hooked up this way?  Can I plug a Y into the 125v receptacle, plug the neutral ground plug into one leg of the Y and the tool cord into the other side of the Y.  Does that allow the neutral ground plug to still do what its suppose to do?  Or should I disconnect the 30 side from trailer first?  Not sure why Honda only put one 125v receptacle on this unit as it has two on the E2200I regular unit.  Must have to do with amp/volts.

• Moderators

Just get the Honda 2200i, save the $100 or $200,  and use the 30 to 15  adapter for the trailer.  If my memory serves, you still only get roughly  15 to 20  amps from the 30 amp plug,  from the companion, unless you've linked it to a running  2200 with the parallel cable. It's something like 1800  or 1900 running watts, 2200 peak, so math says something like max 16 to 17 amps, running. Unless I'm missing something.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I agree with and adding to SeaDawg's comments.  These spec's are for the EU2200i and the EU2200i Companion and they are identical except for the equipped output plugs.

Mossey

A3F9417E-7E91-446B-B46F-9A4B6D41F6CA.thumb.jpeg.88834d78133bc0d7a8869e974a90cede.jpeg

7654BBA2-21B5-4BBC-8829-8B708871E69F.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

We have two generators.  The little Honda 1000 that's been our BFF for 14 seasons, and a Westinghouse 2500, 2200 running watts. 

We disconnect the trailer after charging, but I wouldn't run a big saw or our air compressor while the trailer was plugged into the Westinghouse. We have charged makita batteries at the same time as charging the trailer.

The Honda won't run much, at 1000 watts, but it's great for charging our 2 agm batteries, only.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

One more thing.

Your newer trailers have a device (ems) (probably progressive dynamics) protecting you from open grounds. That's why you need the neutral grounding plug. Most quality inverter generators (Honda, yamahs, and many others), use a floating ground, and it will trip out your protective device, without the neutral grounding plug .

I know this sounds complicated,  but it really isn't. It just is what it is. Buy the neutral grounding plug (maybe $15), or make one, use it when you plug in the trailer, and life is good.

You don't have to understand all the electron magic. Just have the right bits.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4