Air to water

Landrover

I saw a small segment on YouTube tech inventions on a portable unit that makes water from the air the price wasn’t portable $3,500. I haven’t been able to find out more about this unit.  Seems like a logical  concept. Take a dehumidifier and pump the water through a filter system to get clean drinkable water.  Any one else heard of this? Sounds like it could be an interesting concept for boondocking.💨💧☃️

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Interesting. 

One of our NC friends collects the condensate from his ac and dehumidifier, in jugs,  to wash his cars. His well water leaves water spots 

• Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Interesting concept. It likely would require high ambient humidity and a significant amount of time and electrical energy to power it. Not practical features for boondocking. i would be interested in reading the details.

A reverse osmosis water maker might be an option if you have a source of non-potable water and enough energy to power it. 

• Like 2

2021 Elite II #769, 2018 Toyota Tundra

That might be a possibility in the east or around Oregon/Washington.  We might die if thirst here in the high desert of the Snake River Plain! 😄

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

28 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

That might be a possibility in the east or around Oregon/Washington.  We might die if thirst here in the high desert of the Snake River Plain! 😄

The claim is this unit will collect for a portable unit 8 gals per day in desert condition. Can it be believed? Not too many statements are true these days. I thought it was interesting seeing that a lot of Oliver owners have concerns about condensation inside the Oliver and most use a dehumidifier or Rid bags to collect water/ condensation. what’s done with the water?  Most empty or discard the bags or the the dehumidifier which uses the same amount of electricity is either directed outside or into the sink to the grey water tank.  Sorry I still can't post articles from other web sites to this forum. 

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

https://www.exaeris.com/

The portable device will weigh around 30 pounds and sell for less than $2,000, the pair told us. It will adapt to any power supply, from an outlet to solar power to battery, thanks to the miniaturized technology within, which will require very little power — equivalent to running a few incandescent lightbulbs all day long, 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/exaeris-acquatap-world-water-crisis-ces-2021/

That is pretty vague, but a 24 hour long draw to produce “up to” 5 gallons will be hard on an RV charging and battery system. Boondockers will need bigger solar and an extra large battery bank. I’ll let somebody else run the math. This concept doesn’t interest me.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

While it sounds very difficult to acquiring 8 gallons from desert air, just a little reading makes it sound more feasible.

Our average humidity is 29% in August. At 30% humidity and 90 degrees,  a pound of air has about 0.0093 gallons of water and around 100 pounds of air would have about one gallon. If you removed 100% of the water you would have to filter around 13-14 cubic feet to aquire one gallon, times 8 would be around 110 cubic feet for 8 gallons. Doesn't sound like a lot of air, so maybe it's possible. You could move the air with solar energy. Sounds feasible. How do they  extract the water, how much energy would that  consume  and how low is the water content in the expelled air?

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

A couple more youtubes on the subject.  

I could see this being used in an off grid cabin, powered by a dedicated solar setup. There are lots of relatively inexpensive used panels on the market today,  with a lot of life left, but too big to carry around.

Like John, I  don't see us carrying something like this around. At least not anytime soon.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, SeaDawg said:

One of our NC friends collects the condensate from his ac and dehumidifier, in jugs,  to wash his cars. His well water leaves water spots 

I also collect the A/C condensate and use it as the FINAL rinse.  Eliminates the hard water spots really well!  

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg