Filling fresh water tank while boon-docking.

snakeriveridaho

Hello again,

Our current trailer (which is now for sale) has 66 gallons of fresh water with an additional 16 gallons of drinking water. The Ollies have 39% of the on board water. With that much water we have never had to worry about running out. I believe we will have to be more careful and watch our water usage. 

For Ollie owners that boon-dock a lot, do you carry extra water, and if so, what containers do you use. Maybe a couple of collapsible 5 gallon containers? Are there water container that people like a lot?

Also, what portable pumps do people use to pump water into their tanks? 

Thank!

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Search for old threads about converting the (unused !) black tank to fresh water storage, that would be the most elegant way to get an out-of-the way 15 gallons, and it would gravity feed into the fresh tank. I haven’t heard of anyone actually doing this mod, but it is one that I would definitely do, if I needed that much water. You also have to worry about the grey tank backing up, but if you are camping in south Idaho, I expect that you could water some sagebrush with gray water using a garden hose, to make room for the extra volume coming from the black tank. Or just use a buddy tank to store the gray water.

This will get you started. …. https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2930-merging-gray-and-black-tanks/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

No need for a portable pump to fill the Ollie water tank. They can draw water from containers directly into the fresh water tank. One of my favorite features.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We carry a 5 gallon portable plastic 5 gallon tank.  It is not collapsible.  I had this tank long before we got the Ollie.  I would look at collapsible tanks.  There is a boondocking port on the back of the trailer and it uses the pump already in the trailer to suck water in from the container.  You just have to position the water flow knobs in the boondocking configuration described in the manual or under the curbside bunk. It works well.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

what portable pumps do people use to pump water into their tanks? 

While there are/is circumstances in which an external water pump could come in handy - pumping water from a bladder in the back of the tow vehicle for instance - for the most part you can simply use the Oliver on-board water pump via the "winterization port" to pump water into the Oliver.

As far as bladders or other water containers are concerned - I carry two 8 gallon containers like THIS for extra water.  The wheels on these containers are VERY handy in that if you have to carry the water very far it becomes heavy (just over 8 pounds per gallon).

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

While there are/is circumstances in which an external water pump could come in handy - pumping water from a bladder in the back of the tow vehicle for instance - for the most part you can simply use the Oliver on-board water pump via the "winterization port" to pump water into the Oliver.

As far as bladders or other water containers are concerned - I carry two 8 gallon containers like THIS for extra water.  The wheels on these containers are VERY handy in that if you have to carry the water very far it becomes heavy (just over 8 pounds per gallon).

Bill

"I carry two 8 gallon containers like THIS for extra water."

How long is the hose that you need to transfer the water via the port?   Two to three feet long?   I think the shortest hose that I have seen is six feet long.   Maybe you just cut the hose to the length you need. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Bill, how are your Hydrollers holding up? They get very mixed reviews for durability and build quality. Do they tolerate uneven surfaces? That is a lot of weight to have lurching around with a flimsy plastic handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Hydroller-Wheeled-Container/product-reviews/B001QC78GK?reviewerType=all_reviews

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

Maybe you just cut the hose to the length you need. 

Yep - I cut an old drinking water hose to about three feet.

The relatively large opening at the top is great for those Forest Service camp grounds that have the hand pumps with a spigot that tends to spray water.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

how are your Hydrollers holding up?

Mine are about 9 years old and still have a bunch of life in them.  As you might remember, I primarily use them while fly fishing out West for two months each summer.  As with most of my things I do not abuse them and they ride in the bed of my F-150 most of the time - note that they do fit beneath my tonneau cover (barely).  The small plastic wheels can be "interesting" when pulling a full container over road rocks  (1/2 to 3/4 inch trap rock for instance).  But, this still beats the heck out of trying to carry that much weight.  If the road/path is too bad, I simply leave them in the back of the truck and drive to the water source.  While the handles are made of plastic they have never been an issue.  The large "caps" at the tops of the containers can leak when the containers are stored on their sides if not tightened down properly or if the washers inside have worn.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We have several 5 gallon tanks, like these below, for drinking water. We've worn out a couple spouts over the years, but the tanks are fine. Empty, they stack 3 high on our garage, and full, they pack nicely in the truck bed because of the shape. Five gallons is about all I can lift. When we're set up for several days, we just put a container on the trailer tongue or a step stool, on its side, and use the spigot.

20220112_123613.thumb.jpg.d708f241a5159f743aa3516409a2bc54.jpg

A number of people use the scepter tanks. Really nice, and super durable. More expensive.

We also have a 40+ gallon bladder, like this one below. Folded up empty, it fits in one of our underbed bins. We don't use it much, but it's light, and good to have around for emergency refills. We carry it full in the pickup bed.

20220112_123642.thumb.jpg.40e5c62cbbe5ff94d11fd2f0a4544e8b.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We've used these 5 gallon Smart Bottles - very tough for a collapsible design.  Nice fitting options as well for refilling.  Video showing results of 12' drop test vs. competition (solid and collapsible) interesting.  Their cardboard boxes are very good for stacking - but they are cardboard LOL!

This 3' hose works great.

• Thanks 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7