Suggestions for temp fix of umbilical cord

Obvious manufacturing defect as we have never exerted any pull on the umbilical over the last 3 months of ownership.  Functionally, it is still fine.  I am not ready to tackle replacing it and am looking for a good temp fix.  Thinking of good old JB Weld.  Any suggestions?   Current plan is to scuff up surfaces and apply JB Weld.

Looked at alternatives - seems good here on metal - unsure about adhesion to this material.

Thanks in advance for your time and any input you might have.

2022-01-13_11-14-30.png

• Like 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

• The title was changed to Suggestions for temp fix of umbilical cord

Common problem. The insulation breaks there due to flexing. The plug is very easy to replace with just wire cutters and a screwdriver. Search Amazon for "7 pin trailer plug." They are about $5. If you can't do that right away, I'd cover it with electrical tape to seal it, then reinforce it with a zip tie around the cable connected to the plug "ears" with a couple more zip ties to take some of the strain off the damaged section.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Easy fix, I'd say 10 minutes tops to loosen the plug housing and cut and pull the wires forward to take up the slack in the wiring harness cover.  J B weld is not for rubber repairs.

trainman

• Like 5

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I can't tell from the photo if the insulation is split or if it was just cut short at the factory and has pulled out.  If it's split, then it looks like a job for Sugru - I'd use trainman's advice for the fix and then use sugru to reinforce the joint so that it doesn't split again.  If it's not split, then just do what trainman said, though I'd take the opportunity to seal around the joint to make it waterproof - will save you from potential issues later down the road.

• Like 2

I have "repaired" cords like this before. I keep a small tube of GE Silicone in the tool box. A small amount should do it. Then I wrap the area with plastic electrical tape. The tape is warm and pulled tight. It stretches a little and seals real tight. I go from the plug down the cord about three inches and at least three times. A molded on plug, even exposed a little as shown, is more water tight than a replacement plug.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your time and good advice!  I came to the forum before I even googled for a solution.  I had never heard of  Sugru - looks like neat stuff.  I will take a really good look at the plug this weekend - I think the insulation was just cut a bit short vs. a split.  Thanks again!

Another route, as an alternative to electrical tape which I don’t like to use for anything exposed to the elements, is self sealing silicone tape, like this. It’s great stuff to have on hand regardless.

Personally, electrical tape to me is sort of like a pair of pliers: versatile, but there’s nothing you can use it for that another tool can’t do better. Of course, I have a drawer full of pliers that I use all the time. I also have a few rolls of electrical tape, but I can’t remember when I last used any. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderators

I'd second Overland's suggestion of self sealing silicone tape.  I always have a couple of rolls in the Ollie as it can be used for (very) temporary repairs of water pipes, electrical issues, grip tape, etc.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 weeks later...

Update....I tried the Sugru.  I roughed up the surface of both the plug and the cord.  Cleaned with IPA.  Applied Sugru and allowed to cure +48 hours.  With just the weight of the end of the plug, the Sugru let loose around the plug.  It seems to stick better to the cord - though I can pick it off with my finger nails.  While it didn't work in this situation, the Sugru is neat stuff.

Next step is to clean off the Sugru and try that spiffy silicon tape.  

Thanks!

I also carry the "fancy" tape. I have used it to fix different things,, at campsites, for fellow campers. However, when "fixing" the umbilicalcord/plug connection I will stick with electrical tape. We put a small amount of silicone caulk around the seam and then double wrap about 4" of the tape. I have found the "cheap" tape forms a more rigid connection outboard of the outlet, allows the cord to gently bend down, keeps the connection secure, and last for a long long time. I have noticed the the newer units have a cord that exits at a 45° or so to minimize the problem (and broken plastic on the sockets).

Dump trailers, boat trailers, and other objects in a salt water environment have proven its vaue. Just know that a standard product, that works, is an acceptable item to use...

• Like 1