LE I Hitch Height

DunnYet

Making final prep for our pickup in late February and I feel like I am asking a question likely answered elsewhere, so apologies in advance. I swear I searched multiple ways first.

I find lots of posts around hitch height for the LE II, but not many with the LE I. It seems from the factory tour that the height would be the same, but just wanted to be sure. Planning to get an adjustable hitch but want to have some rough parameters to work with. The Anderson will not work for us due to tow vehicle systems incompatibilities so need to have one with us on delivery day.

Thanks so much, I know we have not done our intro post yet so signature incomplete below. Looking forward to getting our hull number soon 🙂

Kevin & Rebecca Dunn | Subaru Ascent 2022 “Moose” | LE I 2022 “Reset” Hull # ????

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

• Moderators

DunnYet - 

Glad you two are with us and really happy to see that you will be getting your Ollie soon.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.  But, the person who does know is your Sales Agent at Oliver and/or Jason Essary (Service Department Manager).

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Beyond hitch height I would also research if your vehicle has a 7 pin trailer connector and a integrated brake controller. These systems can be installed on most vehicles but it won’t be a quick trip down to Walmart to get the parts.  I’m not familiar with Ascent, 4 cyl CVT like the outback?

• Like 1

I think your Ascent will be just adequate for your Ollie if you are very careful about how much stuff you carry, Car and Driver was not impressed with it, the engine struggled and gave single digit mileage on flat terrain. Do you already own the Ascent? Have you researched these issues?

“We previously put the Ascent's 5000-pound towing capacity to work hauling a girthy enclosed snowmobile trailer. More recently, staff editor Drew Dorian tugged an Airstream Caravel travel trailer to Michigan's beachy west coast. Though the Subaru towed the luxurious tin can without much drama, pulling the bluff-faced Airstream on the highway worked the Ascent's turbocharged 2.4-liter flat-four like a pack mule. With the continuously variable transmission unable to employ its higher virtual ratios, the Ascent guzzled premium gasoline to the tune of 9 mpg. Nevertheless, Dorian commended the Subaru's highway stability with a trailer in tow, but only after disabling the hyperactive lane-keeping assist. When that system is activated, the Ascent has a tendency to stray between the lines, causing the Airstream to wag behind the ute like a dog's tail. Dorian also complimented the cargo hold's ample space and its ability to swallow a weekend's worth of camping supplies. “

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a25735016/2019-subaru-ascent-reliability-maintenance/

I hope I don’t sound too negative, but IMHO the Ascent and the LE is not a good match for low altitude, and will probably be downright unpleasant in the high mountains..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, ChrisMI said:

Beyond hitch height I would also research if your vehicle has a 7 pin trailer connector and a integrated brake controller. These systems can be installed on most vehicles but it won’t be a quick trip down to Walmart to get the parts.  I’m not familiar with Ascent, 4 cyl CVT like the outback?

The Ascent is the more “designed for towing” of the Subaru line and with the towing package has the 7 pin pre wired. Have a Redarc brake controller that should arrive “any day now” 😀if UPS follows through. It’s a 5k rating overall. We loved our Outback and have towed our HC1 from Dallas to California and back through both  mountains  and deserts while keeping 20+ mpg. The Ascent is a new platform to us - we are hoping that is performs as well. Unfortunately not able to make the jump to a truck at this point due to daily driver and work commute requirements. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg