First night out was a doozie.

johnwen

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Someone said that in some places (I think it was Vail) you can't pull the trailer up to the propane filling filling station and you need to remove the bottles for filling. 

The last time in was in Vail Valley there wasn't anyplace you could get bottles refilled.  You could "swap" the 20 pounders but there were no refilling stations.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

And it would not be butt ugly like my battery door mod.

I don't really think that door is all that ugly.  Besides - who sees it but you?

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

How often do you need to take the 30 lb bottles out.   Someone said that in some places (I think it was Vail) you can't pull the trailer up to the propane filling filling station and you need to remove the bottles for filling. 

I usually remove one after a trip to have it filled.  Where I go they like to have them removed for filling.  

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

20 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I usually remove one after a trip to have it filled.  Where I go they like to have them removed for filling.  

That is a good argument for getting the 20 lb bottles.   My wife who is 69 can dead lift 205 pounds.   She's trying for 245.  Maybe she could take out the 30 lb without breaking a sweat. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I am sure it's been covered, but thought I would share reflectix w/ corrugated plastic for air gap with your choice of exterior colors affixed to hatches with Velcro?  Saw this video whilst looking for window covers for my topper.

While I totally agree John Davies' solution is anything but butt ugly, this could provide some colorful options for his batteries to gaze upon 😀

2022-01-18_12-51-25.png

• Thanks 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

Just as a point of reference the 20 lb propane tank has about 5 gals of propane.  1 gal of propane will burn  92,000 BTU’s.  So if your furnace, water heater and frig are totaling 30,000 BTU’s  then 1 gal will run those units for about 3 hours.  With  approx. 5 gal in a 20 lb tank you have about 15 hours of propane per tank.  Your tanks could have been full and you just had a high BTU burn.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sooner said:

Just as a point of reference the 20 lb propane tank has about 5 gals of propane.  1 gal of propane will burn  92,000 BTU’s.  So if your furnace, water heater and frig are totaling 30,000 BTU’s  then 1 gal will run those units for about 3 hours.  With  approx. 5 gal in a 20 lb tank you have about 15 hours of propane per tank.  Your tanks could have been full and you just had a high BTU burn.

Thanks, Sooner.  I'm experimenting with solutions.  I did burn through 1 tank but very little on the second tank since swap-out.  I'm using the space heater more and lowering the thermostat a few degrees.

John

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

6 hours ago, Jim and Frances said:

I am sure it's been covered, but thought I would share reflectix w/ corrugated plastic for air gap with your choice of exterior colors affixed to hatches with Velcro?  Saw this video whilst looking for window covers for my topper.

While I totally agree John Davis' solution is anything but butt ugly, this could provide some colorful options for his batteries to gaze upon 😀

2022-01-18_12-51-25.png

Thanks, Jim and Frances,

Did you attempt to make any?

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/