Watch out for Brookside, near Birmingham - “Police in this tiny Alabama town suck drivers into legal ‘black hole’

John E Davies

“Months of research and dozens of interviews by AL.comfound that Brookside’s finances are rocket-fueled by tickets and aggressive policing. In a two-year period between 2018 and 2020 Brookside revenues from fines and forfeitures soared more than 640 percent and now make up half the city’s total income.

And the police chief has called for more.

The town of 1,253 just north of Birmingham reported just 55 serious crimes to the state in the entire eight year period between 2011 and 2018 – none of them homicide or rape. But in 2018 it began building a police empire, hiring more and more officers to blanket its six miles of roads and mile-and-a-half jurisdiction on Interstate 22.“

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/police-in-this-tiny-alabama-town-suck-drivers-into-legal-black-hole.html

It’s been forty years since I set foot in Alabama, and I don’t plan to go there, but for all you Southern Ollie owners, just say no to Brookside.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

LOL - Sounds like this town got together with some small towns in Louisiana along I-10 for "best practices" sharing.  Gives a who new meaning to "Y'all come back now, ya hear!"  - and not the one inferred by Lester Flatt And Earl Scruggs.

• Like 1

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

“Months of research and dozens of interviews by AL.comfound that Brookside’s finances are rocket-fueled by tickets and aggressive policing. In a two-year period between 2018 and 2020 Brookside revenues from fines and forfeitures soared more than 640 percent and now make up half the city’s total income.

The town of 1,253 just north of Birmingham reported just 55 serious crimes to the state in the entire eight year period between 2011 and 2018 – none of them homicide or rape. But in 2018 it began building a police empire, hiring more and more officers to blanket its six miles of roads and mile-and-a-half jurisdiction on Interstate 22.“

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/police-in-this-tiny-alabama-town-suck-drivers-into-legal-black-hole.html

It’s been forty years since I set foot in Alabama, and I don’t plan to go there, but for all you Southern Ollie owners, just say no to Brookside.

John Davies

Spokane WA

This is not unusual for small towns to supplement income with police activity. The key to traveling through those towns pay more attention to the speed signs  speeds will change quickly  65 45 35 in a very short distance usually when getting close to the population. You’ll be going 65 next thing you know the speed sign is 35  busted.  Fines are expensive.  Less crime stats more speed traps sounds like they want to keep their community safe.  🚔

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

13 hours ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks.   I read the article also.   I wonder how common this is.   I definitely will stay away from that town.   Maybe a database should be started to alert us all where we don't want to travel through.   Just a thought. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

I have lived in the deep south for 22 years and it is common to see rapidly changing speed limits on main routes transiting small towns, just anticipate and slow accordingly and you will typically avoid any hassles.  There are legit reasons for this, you are moving at 55 but once in the small town need to be at 35 for cars exiting/entering the main transportation corridor.

However, the practices outlined in the attached article have nothing to do with public safety.  This police chief and his force are simply "policing for profit".  Whenever a public entity can abuse their authority to enrich their particular department without any checks, you have set the stage for corrupt practices.  Let's not even get into the unconstitutional aspects of civil asset forfeiture.  

A dashcam is your friend and video of any unauthorized stops may limit your exposure to this type of malfeasance.    

• Like 4

Patrick and Danielle Wolfe / 2022 LE II Tail #22-1052 / 2023 GMC 2500HD SLT 6.6L Gas

"Mike Jones, the chief of police in the small Alabama town of Brookside, resigned today in the wake of revelations by AL.com that he turned the department into an aggressive traffic trap that by 2020 received half its revenue from fines and forfeitures, many on minor offenses from those who drive by the town on Interstate 22." -AL.com

• Like 7

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Oh and it’s not just a Southern thing…I don’t know if this still applies but years ago folks in Lincoln Massachusetts were pretty proud of their 25 MPH speed limits and it’s enforcement…. They even had bumper stickers on their cars letting the world know about it. Why a fella could get pulled over a couple times in a week for doing 26 if he wasn’t careful as he passed through town slightly late for work…. Which resulted in the need for elaborate routes circumnavigating the town as I recall.. 

• Like 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I hope they prosecute him! 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png