Norcold air leaks around frame

johnwen

Hello all,

The Norcold fridge in my 2022 Elite II leaks air inside the trailer cabin.  The very cold winds are blowing directly into the vents from the outside and into the cabin.  It seems to be coming in from between the fridge frame and the fiberglass enclosure on the inside of the trailer.  Is this a common problem?  The volume of air is not horrible but is very noticeable when walking by, especially at 18 Degrees F.  I see a gap between insulation pads when I take off the cover, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, but Jason E. says that is by design and must not be taped over.  Any suggestions?  I may run a bead of silicone around the frame.

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderator+

This is not the first time lately that I've heard a new owner complain about air entering the cabin around the refrigerator. Take off the upper outside cover and see if there is a gap in the insulation or the metal tape used to seal everything. Cover any holes with duct tap until you can get something better. I would start a service ticket also.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

There is no reason air needs to pass around the fridge into the cabin. In fact, it shouldn't. That's a propane burning appliance. The rear of the fridge should be exposed to the exterior vents but the front of the fridge should be isolated from that service area. Take photos and start a service ticket.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

This is not the first time lately that I've heard a new owner complain about air entering the cabin around the refrigerator. Take off the upper outside cover and see if there is a gap in the insulation or the metal tape used to seal everything. Cover any holes with duct tap until you can get something better. I would start a service ticket also.

Thanks,

I contacted OTT and was told to not cover the openings.  It will void the warranty.  Here are some pictures.

John

nor3.jpg

nor2.jpg

nor1.jpg

Probably why my alarms went off!

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

There is no reason air needs to pass around the fridge into the cabin. In fact, it shouldn't. That's a propane burning appliance. The rear of the fridge should be exposed to the exterior vents but the front of the fridge should be isolated from that service area. Take photos and start a service ticket.

30 minutes ago, johnwen said:
1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

I contacted OTT and was told to not cover the openings.  It will void the warranty. 

From https://askthervengineer.com/the-essential-guide-to-your-rv-absorption-refrigerator-and-why-it-doesnt-work-in-the-mountains/: "All that heat from your fridge’s interior has to go somewhere! And when burning propane, the fridge releases toxic exhaust gases, too. You don’t want either of those things inside your RV. That’s why your RV is installed inside a sealed compartment and the hot gases are exhausted through your fridge vents."

I can't understand why OTT says that gap should remain. Is there another seal behind that gap?

• Thanks 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

If I felt a draft, I would seal around the fridge opening inside the trailer. Duct tape is fine, wherever you feel a draft. 

I wouldn't mess with outside venting.

As others have said. Open a service ticket.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

In addition to cold air, plan on mosquitoes too.   I was up late one night trying to find where they were coming in when I noticed one fly out from behind the refrigerator face trim plate.  I taped up the opening inside, swatted the rest of her buddies, then went back to bed.  Next day I pulled the outside refrigerator cover off and found a bunch of the foil tape had come off in the heat.  It’s not only cold air that can blow in through the openings.  Bugs will be attracted to the heat and refrigerator combustion gases and eventually end up inside with you too.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, johnwen said:

Thanks,

...I contacted OTT and was told to not cover the openings.  It will void the warranty....

I think there was a mis communication between you and Oliver. I think that they thought you were suggesting covering the inside of the vent covers or the hole (openings) that they fit into. I think that you were referring to any gaps in the insulation (as I was) that seal the refrigerator to the hull.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

12 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

From https://askthervengineer.com/the-essential-guide-to-your-rv-absorption-refrigerator-and-why-it-doesnt-work-in-the-mountains/: "All that heat from your fridge’s interior has to go somewhere! And when burning propane, the fridge releases toxic exhaust gases, too. You don’t want either of those things inside your RV. That’s why your RV is installed inside a sealed compartment and the hot gases are exhausted through your fridge vents."

I can't understand why OTT says that gap should remain. Is there another seal behind that gap?

I don't know either.  I've contacted Norcold/Thetford and hope to hear back from them soon.  Will post what I find out.

John

11 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I think there was a mis communication between you and Oliver. I think that they thought you were suggesting covering the inside of the vent covers or the hole (openings) that they fit into. I think that you were referring to any gaps in the insulation (as I was) that seal the refrigerator to the hull.

Actually I did send pictures to OTT they confirmed warranty problems if I covered up the gaps.  I have a call into Norcold/Thetford and expect to hear back from them.  Will post what they say.

12 hours ago, KenB said:

In addition to cold air, plan on mosquitoes too.   I was up late one night trying to find where they were coming in when I noticed one fly out from behind the refrigerator face trim plate.  I taped up the opening inside, swatted the rest of her buddies, then went back to bed.  Next day I pulled the outside refrigerator cover off and found a bunch of the foil tape had come off in the heat.  It’s not only cold air that can blow in through the openings.  Bugs will be attracted to the heat and refrigerator combustion gases and eventually end up inside with you too.

Thanks for the heads-up on the mosquitoes 🙂