LE2 Future Model Features and Options survey, in case you did not get an official email about this.

John E Davies

18 hours ago, Rohnerlee said:

When would the 2023 model be release to order?

I was told that they only have around 30 open slots left for the 2022 model year. Best to check with the Oliver sales department on when they switch to the 2023 model Olivers, 

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 2:17 PM, Galway Girl said:

Example pix in survey.

1) One concern we shared is that for shorter people that puts the Conv/uW too high for safely taking out hot foods.

2) We would be fine with an under counter  compressor fridge as it has little more cu ft than the existing fridge. 

3) We carry a ARB ac/dc compressor chest fridge in the back of our truck for extra space and it’s been a great combo on our 7 month road trip. 

4) As to the quieter a/c would be great in hot locations. Doubt if we would upgrade  immediately, long way to Hohenwald from WA.  

06080107-7E8E-47CC-8058-BFD8D9214115.thumb.jpeg.9aae6feebf39345b6d87b1c0bd37e9c8.jpeg

Not sure we really know what the configuration would look like.  This photo looks heavily photoshopped.  I could see Oliver going with a taller unit and sacrificing some storage above, but doubt they would encroach on the entrance.  You would probably have to re-create the fiberglass mold for that section.   If they did move the oven up to the curve near the ceiling.. you would block the port needed to service the light switch panel.  Unless you moved the panel.    Too many questions to speculate and I think most of us would like to see (pictures or in person) an actual trial install before deciding.  

That being said... with Lithium battery options becoming an RV standard.... I think a 2 way compressor fridge makes a lot of sense.  Would probably run in eco mode for 20+ hours on 100ah of Lithium.   No worries about being level and it would be colder on a lot less energy.   Just my $.02. 

• Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

I’m a little surprised they don’t have the 3 way fridge as an option on the ‘23 units. Must be they’re going with the larger unit that is not available in that configuration.  IMO this makes solar and a good size lithium bank critical for those that do not want to worry about power usage on a daily basis. For us I think the 3 way will be advantageous during our state park stays that are all heavily shaded and do not allow generator usage. Keeping the food cold will allow longer relaxing vacations for us. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ChrisMI said:

I’m a little surprised they don’t have the 3 way fridge as an option on the ‘23 units. Must be they’re going with the larger unit that is not available in that configuration.

3-way fridges come in tons of different sizes and configurations, including very large ones. I'm wondering if they're going with a compressor fridge. Much more efficient when operating on electricity (12v or 120v) and do a better job coming to temp and holding it. We went to an RV show Monday and saw lots of new units with compressor fridges. I think the 3 way fridges are on their way out and lithium batteries are certainly playing a role in that.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

On 2/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, KeysConchs said:

I was surprised to see the 9.4 / 9.6 / 10.5 amp draw numbers for the Aventa.  I had downloaded the European version of the manual and found 4.2 amps at 240 volts.   I assumed (yes.. I know the pitfalls of that) that 4.2 at 240 would rough out to 8.4 at 120, giving us 1008 watt hours.     Even after doing the math that would mean a 5 hour run time (vs. 5-3/4) with no other draw and no solar input.   We are not big on A/C but the ability to run it for a short period of time is a plus.   Hmmm ....   Thinking again the ability to withstand the noise of running it at all is a bigger plus.   Can't wait for the real world tests!  

• Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

3 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

For us I think the 3 way will be advantageous during our state park stays that are all heavily shaded and do not allow generator usage.

Yes, up here in the PNW we are often camped under tree cover and/or heavy cloud cover and in a decent chunk of the year the sun is also quite low when it is actually visible. We also like to stay put for many days on end for some of our trips - having a compressor fridge would almost certainly mean having to run a generator somewhat regularly for such trips here. I can see that for many folks having a compressor fridge would work just fine but I've been glad not to have that additional draw on our batteries!! Even phantom loads, some lights, and a modest bit of furnace use in the morning and evening will add up over a week+ of camping in the rainforest!!

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Traveling with 3 people, we were pleasantly surprised that the size of the current Norcold is adequate. Even on longer trips, we've always been able to fit everything we planned to take. Also, the storage space above the oven is valuable to me and I wouldn't want to lose it. With that said, though, we are now unable to run our fridge on DC when on the road. It draws the batteries down quickly even on a sunny day. Oliver tested them at our last service appointment and they said they test good for the date of the batteries (2019 model). So if a compressor unit would allow us to run on DC successfully on the road more long-term, we would consider it, although would prefer one that fits undercounter.

• Like 1

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

On 2/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jim_Oker said:

Yes, up here in the PNW we are often camped under tree cover and/or heavy cloud cover and in a decent chunk of the year the sun is also quite low when it is actually visible. We also like to stay put for many days on end for some of our trips - having a compressor fridge would almost certainly mean having to run a generator somewhat regularly for such trips here. I can see that for many folks having a compressor fridge would work just fine but I've been glad not to have that additional draw on our batteries!! Even phantom loads, some lights, and a modest bit of furnace use in the morning and evening will add up over a week+ of camping in the rainforest!!

I totally agree, living in the PNW. Between 8 months of gray skies and our beautiful luscious trees, direct sunlight is a summertime luxury.  We rarely ever use 12volts, and only 120v when plugged in.  It is pretty cool though camping under the trees canopy. 

• Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

On 1/21/2022 at 7:53 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Yep, that was our conclusion, too. Even if we had to wait until 2023 and retrofit a new A/C, that would probably be less expensive than buying a 2023 model.

Definitely the case with the price increase that we now see on the 2023.

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderator+
30 minutes ago, 2008RN said:

...We rarely ever use 12volts, and only 120v when plugged in...

With the exceptions of A/C and microwave, everything in your camper runs on 12 volts DC. Lights, water pump, fans (including the one in the furnace) radio, television, and controls for the fridge.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I am not an owner nor did I get the survey, but...Quiet is always better than noisy for an AC unit.  And a larger fridge would be so nice, but not with a microwave so near the ceiling.  That is simply not safe.  Not reachable for someone 5'3".  
And on a side note:

Dearest Engineers and Designers of Oliver Trailers, 

While you are looking to "improve and redesign the Elite 1" why not also consider the Elitist III?  You know, the OTT that is between 25-26 feet in length?  It's the one with the full bath in the front, the walk around queen bed or wider twin beds, and that wonderful new  larger fridge without the microwave on top!  I think it is just 6-12 inches wider but still has so much storage space.  I know I've seen one somewhere--in my dreams!  

Sincerely,

HMD

• Like 3

• Moderator+

I would hate to lose the propane function of the refrigerator. Even with a "more efficient" 12 volt compressor fridge, it's still using battery power. I'm more concerned about battery power than running out of propane.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I would hate to lose the propane function of the refrigerator. Even with a "more efficient" 12 volt compressor fridge, it's still using battery power. I'm more concerned about battery power than running out of propane.

Hey Steve...  Would you still feel the same way with the 630ah Lithium package?  I am thinking the extra power would run that fridge for a long time.   Granted there would be other draws from the battery bank and the solar would have limited replenishment (thinking 2-300 amps in a sunny day).   Would that change your mind?   BTW... asking for an "in real life decision" not just wondering... and I would value your opinion.  

Hope you are well and look forward to seeing you in May. 

Scotty

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScottyGS said:

Would you still feel the same way with the 630ah Lithium package? 

It’s funny that you mention that. Oliver did away with the flooded cell solar option and made the agm upgrade more expensive. Looking at the two lithium options…the 630, because it is uniquely able to fit that much capacity in the battery compartment, is more appealing than ever. Add that to the fridge always pulling power and I could see myself upgrading to 630 for 2023 units. 

I’m planning on 3 BB batteries this fall. If I had a two way fridge I’d probably want more…

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ChrisMI said:

I’m planning on 3 BB batteries this fall. If I had a two way fridge I’d probably want more…

I replaced my 4 AGMs last January with 2 BB 100ah batteries.  After a year of travel and camping those two BB’s were plenty.  I just put in a third BB last month, not because I needed it but in case we swap out fridges sometime in the future.  We haven’t been our yet with the additional battery but I’m looking forward to it.  One thing I noticed with the Battle Borns is how quick they were back up to 100% once the sun came up.  Plus the weight difference is pretty significant.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

@ScubaRx, I  think the new trailers have a 110 vizio, not 12v, like our trailers.

Our 12v/110 fridge uses roughly 60 to 70 amp hours, per day, if that helps in your estimates. We get that overnight usage back from solar on decent days, and run fine throughout the day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Usual overnight consumption is 24 to 30 amp hours. 

We manage most of the time, in good weather, with solar, even with only 2 x 105 ah agm batteries, in good sun for the portables, because we also conserve power. 

But, the Honda 1000 comes in handy in rainy days, or cooler weather where we use the furnace. That furmace fan uses a lot of power.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

With the exceptions of A/C and microwave, everything in your camper runs on 12 volts DC. Lights, water pump, fans (including the one in the furnace) radio, television, and controls for the fridge.

I read what they wrote as they rarely ever use the 12V fridge setting and the 110 only if plugged in...

• Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

I read what they wrote as they rarely ever use the 12V fridge setting and the 110 only if plugged in...

That's what I read, too. They, like we, use as little power as possible,  while camping. After dark, a single LED light, interior,  intermittent. When we actually need it. 

It's how we camp. Hard sided tent.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

19 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

You are correct 12volt is used by everything.   I am fairly new to the Oli and have only been out on a few 4 day boondocking trips.  AGM Battery management has been a big deal especially in cooler weather.  I do not have a generator at this time, so I am totally dependent on the Solar.  Running the fridge off of 12volts really isn't practical with everything else on 12volts.  Man, if I had the 630ah solar package and could actually get them recharged daily with cloudy skies, and trees overhead that would be great.  Unfortunately I  don't have the $$$$ to upgrade to something like 630ah art this time.  

• Like 1

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

My wife and I are definitely interested in the larger refrigerator.  Actually that mock-up in the photo is how I imagined it.  We eat a lot of fresh produce and need that extra space, especially as we will be off-grid away from stores. As for the height of the microwave, it seems a similar height to residential over the range microwaves.

Fast forward... Now I see Oliver released the 2023 updates for the EII and now switched to the 12v compressor.  Very pleased with that.  Also the new Truma Aventa a/c option is a great option too.  Again, I am pleased. I also see they are redesigning the EI.  I expect they will also "evolve" the EII in a couple of years.  Let's see.  It's a great product, so evolution not revolution!

As for the survey, would be nice if Oliver did a survey to include potential owners.  They can filter the data when analyzing.  Data from real-world use Ollie owners is great, to supplement with potential owner thoughts is critical too.

• Like 1

Not a current owner... but it seems like the outside battery compartment takes up a lot of prime real estate for the inside. 

Any way to put those batteries on the tongue? 

Even if it was done with the extra 2' for the storage box option, eliminate the storage box and the length will not be longer. 

I would give up the storage box option to put the batteries up front to gain the pantry/micro-wave space inside.

Then the pantry can be floor to ceiling with the micro-wave in the middle of the pantry, and the tall fridge can be put in place where the short fridge is and still keep the upper cabinet above the fridge.

4 hours ago, Brad-Beth said:

Any way to put those batteries on the tongue? 

Most trailers have their batteries there, have you thought about why Ollies are different? Because tongue mounted weight negatively affects stability and it loads down the back of the tow vehicle. . They chose rock solid, no sway towing performance over everything else. With the newer lithium batteries the effect is considerably reduced, but 300 pounds of lead acid batteries was the norm when the LE2 was first designed. 

I think the lithiums should become standard, then they could locate them in an even better spot, inside the cabin at floor level.

John Davies 

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

The current location for the batteries provides a semi-climate controlled area when the trailer is occupied.  In cold weather camping, if you have lithiums, they have four sides that are at cabin temperature.  On the tongue, if you’re camping in 20 degree weather then your batteries are at 20 degrees.  You might be able to figure out a way to mount the batteries under the dinette seats somehow.  I’d have to look at it.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS