Why buying an RV trailer

We are now taking delivery of our Ollie II on March 4.

After 40 some years in business, Linda and I retired or so we thought. We spent the first few months traveling abroad and enjoying the time off and doing things we wanted to do. Then 2020 came along and everything changed overnight. Early on I decided to remodel our country home and I remodeled it to death. Then came the burn- out syndrome. We suffered long isolations and numerous days and nights, thinking and deciding if this was the life we wanted to live. Because of my business, we  often traveled abroad and we have seen Europe and other countries more than we have seen our own beautiful country and state, and I am not saying that we have not been anywhere but all we knew was large cities and airports, taxis from the airport to a hotel, meetings, and then, back to the airport. Regretfully, we did not stop and smell the roses, mainly because of me. Our first trip will start from Tennessee, NC, SC, FL and return back home driving and stopping in small towns along the Gulf Coast, visiting friends and relatives that we have not seen in many years. We did discover HH and became members. What better way is there to visit meet and talk to every day hard-working people and businesses such as farms, wineries, breweries, etc. We will gladly support them - one overnight stay should be enough. After the first trip we will concentrate seeing and visiting our state and neighboring states. If we can, and there is availability to national parks, it will be a bonus. There is so much to do and see. Hope we will live long enough.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I think your outlook for Oliver traveling is great.  Traveling abroad right now is a bit iffy and there is so much to see right here in the US.  We also spent a lot of time in Europe, lived in 3 different countries for years and feel we had seen a lot.  The US, not so much.  So, we’re seeing it in our Oliver, state by state, park by park!  Good luck - Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I remember sitting in a café in Oakley, KS a few years ago having breakfast.  I was thinking about why in the world would someone have decided to found a town right out here in the middle of nowhere.  When my very young waitress came over to refill my coffee cup I asked her what there was to do and/or see in this town and her reply was reasonably predictable, " Nothing!  I'm getting out of here just as soon as I can!", she replied.

So, instead of walking back to my truck and continuing on down the Interstate I headed into town just to see what was there.  Well, just outside of the main town is a wonderful bronze statue of Buffalo Bill ( https://www.visitoakleyks.com/buffalo-billcultural-center ) and in town is a rustic (but free) fossil museum (the Fick Fossil and History Museum).  A short drive south of town will get you to a very strange area (at least for the prairie) where there are these "towers" of rock in which fossils can be found -  

My point is that I too have seen a bunch of this world but there is certainly a bunch to see right here in the USofA - if only we look for it.  Good luck on your journey.P07-11-13_11.09.jpg

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hi, Nick and Linda. Sounds like a great plan! I take it this is your first RV. Welcome to the lifestyle. We've had the good fortune to have traveled most of this country in the past 23 years. It's not just the places, it's the people, too. We've met some wonderful people because of RVing. Some became lifelong friends, others just happy memories, but we're so happy to have met all of them.

Although we've been doing this for a while, things are changing out there and we've spent a lot of time this past year learning new lessons and re-learning some old ones. For RVing in general, there are lots of online resources, including some really good YouTube channels. There are a few RV content creators that we've been following lately. Not too many Oliver owners, but we've found some of the Airstream and Casita owners have good tips for traveling in smaller trailers.

FYI (and forgive me if you already know this), there are some accepted RVing behaviors that have been standardized over the years. RV etiquette, if you will. A few that come to mind: Don't walk through other people's campsites, even if they're not there. Dim your headlights in the campground after dark. Don't leave your outside lights on all night. Don't let your dog bark excessively. Little things like that make campgrounds nicer for everyone and are appreciated by all.

March will be here before you know it. Hope to meet you on the road someday!

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Thank you all reading my note , your advise and supporting the reasons for buying the RV trailer and yes, it is our first one. As Topgun mentioned and when a local tells me that there is nothing to see in their small town, this exactly what i will do -go and see for myself.

The very last thing we want to do is to invade other peoples privacy and respect their space.  One thing we have learned living in our part of texas - be friendly, courteous but dont come over unless you are invited.

We have read many posts here and i think we will be prepared for our first trip-hope it will be great with no major issues and see all or some of you on the road someday.

I will post delivery day comments in a few weeks.

• Like 2