Trip Planning for 2022

topgun2

• Moderators

Over the past four weeks I've been planning and making reservations (where necessary) for this coming summer's fly fishing trip.

Once again this year I will be (primarily) fishing in Wyoming and covering many of the same places I've been to in the past.

I have managed to secure reservations in those camp grounds that take them, but, I would not say that it was easy.  For National Forest Service camp grounds in Wyoming, the earliest one can make reservations is 6 months in advance at 8AM (Mountain Time).  For the three places that I needed these reservations I was all set and ready to go at exactly that time - and - was successful in each case.  But, my choice of sites was extremely limited.

For the first time in a number of years I have decided to not camp in Yellowstone National Park.  But, I did check on availability just this morning.  In my favorite two camp grounds (Slough Creek and Pebble Creek) there was not one reservable site available for the date(s) I would have needed.

Of course, most of my camping will be done outside of established camp grounds.  But, even these have become more crowded over the past couple of years - I always have at least two alternative places in mind.

So, if anyone is planning a summer trip I'd suggest that you not wait too long to get the reservations you might need.

Good luck!

Bill

p.s.  Baker's Hole (just north of West Yellowstone, MT) August 4th through August 7th if anyone is interested in a pot luck mini-rally.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

FWIW, it's probably too early in the season, but I'll be releasing a couple of sites in Mammoth CG for mid-late May.  Probably do it in late March...still coordinating with other traveling party.

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

It's crazy how crowded campgrounds are now. We were fortunate to get all of our destinations reserved for this summer. Mostly dry camping in state parks, but 2 weeks in a campground on the Cape. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I started trying to pre-book my Yellowstone return to San Antonio leg and my brain hurts in just trying to decide where to go, so many campsite choices out west/north, how long to stay, on a daily basis....or which direction any this point.  Leaning towards the Badlands, as I've never been there.  

• Like 2

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Leaning towards the Badlands, as I've never been there.  

The Badlands are cool and there is enough hiking for at least a two or three day stop.  Also, free camping fairly near Wall and close to the Park entrance.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

If you get there, don't ignore the northern Badlands. Many do.

Teddy Roosevelt park is amazing.  I actually like the northern badlands more than Southern. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I am planning to head for the “less travelled” regions in late Spring, south Idaho and north Nevada, from May 24 to June 4. I was just looking at Great Basin National Park, to see if I could grab a site. It says to check back after April 29 for availability. I guess that means there won’t be a terrific scramble for those sites.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, John E Davies said:

It says to check back after April 29 for availability. I guess that means there won’t be a terrific scramble for those sites.

Either that or you are in deep trouble already.

My guess would be that you will not have any difficulty in finding the kind of places I think you like.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

My guess would be that you will not have any difficulty in finding the kind of places I think you like.

https://travelnevada.com/cities/jarbidge/

It's officially Pacific Time, like all of Nevada, but the town uses Mountain Time because the only way in year round is through Idaho, the pass south to Elko is plowed for their July 4 celebrations, and gets snowed in again in October... 😉 The route from Boise to Jarbidge is about 70 miles of smooth gravel ranch roads, with random water ditches across it, to keep you on your toes. What fun. The route there from the east is all paved, with several campgrounds. You should check it out:

"For many anglers, catching a wily bull trout is the final leg of the IGFA’s “Trout Royal Slam”, and if you find yourself in the spectacular Jarbidge Wilderness during summer and fall, you may just hook into one of these olive-green beauties in one of the best fishing spots in the Silver State."

https://travelnevada.com/fishing/jarbidge-river-trail/

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Carrie and I love the Jarbidge area too. Spectacular wilderness down there. It is about 95 miles from our home in Twin Falls. 

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, topgun2 said:

Over the past four weeks I've been planning and making reservations (where necessary) for this coming summer's fly fishing trip.

I am sooooooooooo glad to hear that it is not just us taking more than a few days to plan a trip...   

Yes, this trip will be from home in ND to “the Rally” & Gulf Shores, then over to FL, out the Keys and back up the East Coast to Maine, over into CA-NA-DA, and drop down to ND and home.  

We are looking forward to a vacation after time spent planning for one...

We are open for CG suggestions for FL.  We would like to see the Everglades, take a drive out the Keys probably NOT with SnySdUp behind us.

At this time, we are looking at a visit to Cape Canaveral, and other CG's heading north on the west coast of FL that might be memorable.

B Out,

Maggie & Willis (Kamper Kat) have started packing...

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators
16 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

We are open for CG suggestions for FL.  We would like to see the Everglades, take a drive out the Keys probably NOT with SnySdUp behind us.

At this time, we are looking at a visit to Cape Canaveral, and other CG's heading north on the west coast of FL that might be memorable.

A PM to SeaDawg might get you some "inside scoop" on things in Florida.

The Canaveral thing is really great if you are into space at all.  Make a day of it and don't be afraid to spring for the launch pad tour too.  It ain't cheap but when are you going to be back there again?

Your trip is much more involved as compared to mine.  For the most part I just look for fish and places without people - easy.

Good luck and I'll see you at the Rally!

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling

If you're in the Cape Canaveral area, the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is worth a visit:  drive down the Black Point Wildlife Drive for birding.   Someone we met there also recommended the Orlando Wetlands Park which is run by the city of Orlando but is east of there near Fort Christmas , across the road from Christmas, FL.  This was a great spot as well.  

• Like 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 3:36 PM, Ralph Mawyer said:

I'd be interested in hearing what you find and decide in that direction, as it's on my list and a *never been* for me as well! 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
On 1/28/2022 at 2:36 PM, Ralph Mawyer said:

We’ve been through South Dakota, camped near Spearfish and enjoyed Cheyenne Canyon and surrounding area, but want to do the Badlands.  Looking at going there this fall.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

SeaDawg is correct,

The Teddy Roosevelt NP (North Unit) of the North Dakota badlands are beautiful.  The South Unit (near Medora) is also nice but a lot more developed.  there may be other private CG's around Medora.

These are NP's so they are boondocking (with some shade).  

Sites in the North Unit's Juniper Campground are on a first come, first served basis, except for the group campsite which is by reservation only. Juniper only occasionally fills to capacity on weekends in summer. Sites are primitive (no RV hookups). 

Watch out for the Buffalo... do not be surprised if you wake up with one rubbing on your trailer.

B-Out

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

one addendum,

if you go to the TRNP Southern Unit near Medora, they have the Medora Musical, if you are into that.

B~Out

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SNY SD UP said:

Watch out for the Buffalo... do not be surprised if you wake up with one rubbing on your trailer.

The bison have gone through "our" campsite quite a few times. Totally ok. It's truly their ground, not ours. We're the temporary interlopers.

Please, please,  keep your dogs on short lead, and in your lap or beside you, and be prepared to move him/her/them inside, quickly. Unless alarmed, the bison just keep on moving and grazing. Don't let your/my  dog , or you, disrupt their grazing, and cause an issue. Move inside.

This is the bison home range. You're the visitor. 

We don't mind no hookups. Actually,  our preference. 

I think part of our love of Northern badlands is just that absence of everything else. Fewer campers and people.  More wildlife visibility.  Plus, the absolute amazing geography. Big plus, and that's from someone who doesn't typically love rocks.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Nice campground just west of Medora named Buffalo Gap.  No hookups.  Water available and vault toilets.  First come first serve and $20 per night.   Oh and the musical was a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

We had a bunch of buffalo stroll through our site a few times while we were there.  We went inside because they were literally rubbing up against the trailer.  Quite a sight/site.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, SNY SD UP said:

one addendum,

if you go to the TRNP Southern Unit near Medora, they have the Medora Musical, if you are into that.

B~Out

I went to that and it's impressive.   Well worth the money.   I don't recall it being super expensive either. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

22 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I think part of our love of Northern badlands is just that absence of everything else.

A couple of years ago I applied for (and landed) a position as a volunteer working in the Badlands on a dig site. But I backed out because I was planning to tent camp and they warned me that there was: nothing on site to 'tie' the tent to, 65mph winds, frequent hail the size of baseballs and lots of rattlesnakes (with a 1/2 mile walk to the pit toilets from the approved camping spot). I started reading about that weather and learned about hail storms totally creaming parking lots full of cars.

If you spend a lot of time there, I'm wondering if you have encountered that type of weather, and if it's caused damage to your Oliver or your TV? 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators

@Boudicca908, I  couldn't honestly recommend the Badlands for tent camping. I think you made a wise decision. 

But, it's a great place in a hard sided rv. 

I grew up in the Midwest. Weather can indeed change rapidly. A weather radio is a wise choice for camping anywhere,  but especially helpful in the Miidwest.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

WELCOME TO NORTH DAKOTA.

It does get cold in the winter, but the ice and snow are usually gone by June,

We get some strong winds, but it keeps the mosquitos away,

Yes, we get hail (May-Oct), with some damage, and we have had a few tornados up here, but earthquakes are not common or strong,

We keep SnySdUp in a heated Quonset during the winter, no hail damage, but a few dings from rocks whilst out on the road. 

Edited by SNY SD UP
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1