New owner Build ?

Caddymv

5 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Our Elite II is also scheduled to be delivered in September.

We don't plan to pay for the Truma water heater upgrade for the reasons listed by other posters above, and also because Truma is not "DIY friendly."  Truma only makes parts and replacement units available through its 4 U.S. authorized service centers, in Arizona, Texas, Florida and Indiana. 

Suburban water heater parts, or even complete replacement units for under $400, are readily available for online order.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Manufacturing-5238A-Sw6D-Gal/dp/B01NBTVDBC/ref=asc_df_B01NBTVDBC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111914138&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1905742530739926085&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-568368079416&psc=1

We live in rural Idaho.  It will be SO much cheaper and easier for me to order parts online to repair and, if necessary, replace a Suburban water heater in my garage. 

I think I mention this in other posts on the subject. If on electric before showing we switch on the propane two showers alway had enough hot water and my wife likes her shower warm. As far as cost as mentioned easier to repair. And I’m sure you can replace the entire unit several times VS the cost of the Truma. Some times simpler is better.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

On 1/28/2022 at 7:20 PM, John E Davies said:

If I were trapped in the desert, I would be very glad for that extra supply, but only if I had a big breaker bar and the correct socket.

I use a 1/2" ratchet, a short extension, and a socket, with some Teflon tape.  No need for the heavy tools.  

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

4 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I use a 1/2" ratchet, a short extension, and a socket, with some Teflon tape.  No need for the heavy tools. 

If you want to carry fewer tools, the wheel lug wrench that OTT provided me is also a 1/2” breaker bar.   I just carry an inexpensive 1 1/16” socket to remove the drain plug.  

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Interesting comment Fairmontrvpark! We are leaning toward the truma. 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

1 hour ago, Kirk Peterson said:

Interesting comment Fairmontrvpark! We are leaning toward the truma. 

I am also.   Our delivery date is November 7 so we have until mid August to finalize options. 

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We have a tankless water heater at home, but for our trailer we opted not the get the Truma, main reason we very seldom use the shower in the trailer and use the campgrounds facilities.  We have not had a situation come up that we needed more hot water then what the standard water heater could supply for our needs. 

trainman

• Like 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Trainman said:

We have not had a situation come up that we needed more hot water then what the standard water heater could supply for our needs.

Yep - me either. 

Remember, while the standard water heater "only" has six gallons of water, any "new" water that is added to the tank is being heater as it comes in (depending on the pre-set sensor on the heater).  So, as you use hot water it is being replaced by cold water which is then heated.  The only problem with this is if you use up the water in the tank faster than the heater can heat up the new water coming in.  This is possible by two people taking back to back showers while using a fairly hot shower or in other similar situations.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, Caddymv said:

Hi All. Paid my deposit. Can’t wait till September  Question 

is Truma instant H20. Worth the extra dough. Thank you. Richard

Hi Richard, we are in the same boat.  I appreciate the responses to your question, because the differing opinions help us think through the pros and cons of that decision. 

One more thing to consider;  I seem to recall reading or hearing that if you want to upgrade to the quieter Truma air conditioner you would need to have the Truma on-demand hot water heater installed.  Hopefully, someone that is better informed can weigh-in on whether that is accurate.

• Like 2

2021 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD 4X4 with Tow Package, 6.6L gas, 6-speed Auto trans.  

2022 Legacy Elite II, twin bed, solar & lithium package, Expected Delivery August 22, 2022.

2 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

There was no Truma A/C option for our 2022 with a June delivery date.

Yes, the Truma on-demand water heater is listed as an option for 2022 builds, but the Truma A/C is not.  I believe you have to have the Truma on-demand water heater If you want to upgrade to the quieter Truma A/C in the future.  Given all of the complaints about the noise of the Dometic A/C, that could influence one's decision about which water heater system to go with.

• Like 3

2021 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD 4X4 with Tow Package, 6.6L gas, 6-speed Auto trans.  

2022 Legacy Elite II, twin bed, solar & lithium package, Expected Delivery August 22, 2022.