Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself.

Kim Smith

Kim, Folks on this forum are terrific, sincere, and truly offering sound advice.  I have greatly benefited from their help and advice.  I will also share a couple simple thoughts.  Check lists for hooking up and preparing for departure, and a separate one for setting up your trailer upon arrival are really good.  Most of us have had difficulty at one point or another, most of which might have been avoided with the check list.  Consider storing your heavy items low in your trailer  vs high in the overheads.  Items like cast iron pots and pans if you decide to use them.  We wish you all the best in your experience.  I must admit when I read your first post and subsequent post inquiring about the nice Ford F 150 for sale in PA it really reminded me of the person that I believe John Davies is referring to.  Folks on this forum went above and beyond to help and offer very good advice.  The person had not learned all of the features of their truck which lead to further frustration. That person went all in and didn't get some of the needed experience offered in advance.  Folks are trying to help.  You are a different person so your experience will be different and terrific.  It takes time!!  Nothing beats the experience of doing these things.  A couple of simple things can help make things go well.  Like, getting your truck and trailer lined up perfectly straight make a big difference in attaching and removing the Andersen hitch.  The $16 investment l made in the two hitch pins at Tractor Supply were worth their weight in gold!!.  I wish I did this 2 years ago.  Good luck with everything and take your time.  I made a bunch of mistakes, still am, and am learning too.  We had the truck, but did have to add a break controller.  I had to learn that.  I am about to learn more as we head toward the mountains Monday for the next 45 days.  I had towed boats 23ft and 5000 lbs was the largest, and work trailers but nothing with electric brakes and nothing using the truck tow/haul mode to help defending steep grades.  Towing the Ollie long distances was different.  Learning you have to pick gas stations carefully to have enough room to maneuver to get fuel but more importantly have room to leave so you don't hit your trailer making tight maneuvers.  I use the back up camera as a rearview mirror when towing during the daylight.  (It is too bright for me at night when towing).  I am still learning and getting more proficient with the help of this Forum.  This will be fun but it is work too!  Good luck and have a blast!!! Exciting!!!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Really short trailers, like an 8 foot long motorcycle trailer, are really tricky. If anyone wants to learn the physics of this phenomenon…..

https://www.towgo.com/backing-up-a-short-trailer/

https://www.towgo.com/why-cant-i-backup-straight

That site sells a $400 (!!!!) doohicky that works with a phone app. I have no idea how well it functions, but I do caution folks to learn the old fashioned way, by practicing, in case your high tech electronic helper quits for some reason, and this includes those wonderful trailer tech packages in the newer trucks. My sister has owned a little 1200 pound teardrop camper for two years and neither she nor her husband can back it. She has to unhitch and push it around by hand. OTH I have been towing motorcycle, utility, boat and camp trailers since about 1970, for countless miles. BUT I still get flustered every now and then, part of that is growing old, and part is just pure bad luck. Daniel Boone was once asked if he ever got lost. “No,” he replied , “ but once I was a might bewildered for three days.” That applies to towing! When you are exhausted, it is dark and rainy, you are trying to back into a strange campsite with too many nearby trees and awkwardly parked vehicles, you tend to make mistakes. That is when you must force yourself to relax, take a really deep breath, and ask somebody for help.  I have had to do that a few times.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Yes, shorter trailers react to steering input faster and are easier to jackknife

This is good to hear, since this is my newbie experience. It's a matter of fractions of an inch on the steering wheel and suddenly my 'great' alignment is all out of whack on that landscape trailer. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

Kim:

I very much agree with what John, Rivernerd, ChrisMI and Mattnan stated above. You might want to rethink your plan of purchasing a truck near Hohenwald. To me that is a little risky to buy site unseen.  I bought my truck used after searching through Carfax, but I did go to see it and road tested it before putting down a deposit. I owned it 4 or 5 months prior to picking up my Oliver. At least Carfax usually have a lot of pictures of the truck online. As the others stated, at a minimum at least borrow a truck and trailer to practice with. If you have not had much practice in backing the trailer, try to stay in campgrounds on your way home that has pull thru sites so you are not backing up a lot. Ask camper's at the CG for help so they can spot you at the back of the trailer. I am sure they would be happy to help. Try to buy a pickup truck that includes a towing package (includes a 2" reseeiver for the trailer hitch, extended side mirrors, 7 pin trailer connector and break controller). If not, at a minimum make sure the truck has a 7 pin connector to connect the trailer electric cable to and buy a aftermarket break controller and get it installed prior to picking up the Oliver.

Are you getting the Anderson No-sway Weight Distribution hitch system from Oliver? There are some people that do not use it, but in your case it might make towing a little easier on your mind and security. [Read about connecting and disconnecting that system as well. Oliver will give you instructions as well.] Are you planning to stay in Hohenwald a few days? This is recommended so that you can practice using all the components and if you have any questions Oliver can help you (and if anything needs to be fixed or adjusted).

Personnely, I really love the compost toilet I have. I like I do not have to deal with empting the tank with poop in it. Read the Owner's manual carefully as it will take a little getting used to proper use and maintenance of the toilet. When you arrive in Hohenwald go to Walmart and buy some peat moss as you will need it in the compost toilet when using it on your return trip.

Lastly well fefore pickup, go to the Oliver University and read and reread all the articles in the Owner's manuals and for each of the components you buy so you have that knowleadge base. Ask any questions you have on this forum as there is a great knowledge base here.

Getting ready for delivery is the hard part of the process but you will get through it fine with the property preparatory times. (Look at as getting ready for taking your nursing exams.) Camping is the easy part.

Where in New England?

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Daniel Boone was once asked if he ever got lost. “No,” he replied , “ but once I was a might bewildered for three days.” That applies to towing! When you are exhausted, it is dark and rainy, you are trying to back into a strange campsite with too many nearby trees and awkwardly parked vehicles, you tend to make mistakes. That is when you must force yourself to relax, take a really deep breath, and ask somebody for help.  I have had to do that a few times.

That is such great advice.

Sometimes,  it can help to just take another loop around the campground,  and take a break.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mattnan said:

Learning you have to pick gas stations carefully to have enough room to maneuver to get fuel but more importantly have room to leave so you don't hit your trailer making tight maneuvers.  I use the back up camera as a rearview mirror when towing during the daylight.  (It is too bright for me at night when towing

Another nugget of good info , Mattnan. 

Since there are two of us, I can look ahead for good gas stops, as we travel, both for price and maneuverability. For my solo traveler friends, this often means planning the route and setting way points in the route planner, for gas and rest stops. I use GasBuddy, Google, and waze.

We often like the stations like membership Costco, Sams, and many of the non-membership  Murphy's at walmarts. Usually convenient to the interstate, and one way lanes. The outside lanes are easiest to get in and out of. The downside of costco and sams is no bathrooms or shopping, unless you park and go into the warehouse.

We've found that some of the Loves and flying js (especially near major interstate junctions) can be very, very tight,  and chaotic with people pulling in and out from both directions. Some are great. But,  sometimes,  it's even worth paying a few cents a gallon more, to avoid the high traffic stations and lines. 

While you're waiting for your trailer, start paying attention when you're gassing up. You will need much more room, with a trailer behind, to maneuver tight lanes .

You can do this. Everyone is new, at some point. Then, later, you can help others with sharing your experiences. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Kim Smith said:

Not sure if I should do 30 lb propane tanks d/t stores to purchase them are few and far between.  Also I read that it is dangerous and in Some states against the law to travel with your propane open to run the frig.  How do you all do it?  

If you'll be mostly in California,  I'd omit the 30 lb tanks, unless you are truly "buff." My daughter can lift them out, and back, I'm sure. She's tough. Not me, anymore. And, a lot of places won't fill portable tanks "in place." 

I can lift 20 lb tanks, empty or full, over the ledge, and I'm short. They're also the common exchange size. I wouldn't want to trade a brand new tank at blue rhino. I'd carry an extra old one, from your grill, or a garage sale,  in a milk crate to keep it upright, in the truck bed. Blue rhino takes anything.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If you'll be mostly in California,  I'd omit the 30 lb tanks, unless you are truly "buff." My daughter can lift them out, and back, I'm sure. She's tough. Not me, anymore. And, a lot of places won't fill portable tanks "in place." 

I can lift 20 lb tanks, empty or full, over the ledge, and I'm short. They're also the common exchange size. I wouldn't want to trade a brand new tank at blue rhino. I'd carry an extra old one, from your grill, or a garage sale,  in a milk crate to keep it upright, in the truck bed. Blue rhino takes anything.

"I'd carry an extra old one, from your grill, or a garage sale,  in a milk crate to keep it upright, in the truck bed."

We will be towing with a Ford Expedition, so no truck bed.   Can an extra 20 pound tank be put into a milk crate and stored in the basement storage area?   We're leaning towards the tongue storage box,  but won't have to finalize options until August.   I was figuring on using that box storage area for chocks,  levelers and the things that push against both tires to stabilize the trailer,  basically for things needed for set-up.   I don't know if a tank would fit along with everything else. 

• Thanks 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
On 2/6/2022 at 11:33 AM, John Welte said:

Can an extra 20 pound tank be put into a milk crate and stored in the basement storage area

I wouldn't. Propane tanks, even "empty" ones, should only be carried in a properly vented area. Propane is heavier than air, and if leaked, it collects in the lowest area. 

We actually rarely carry an extra tank. Propane lasts a long time for us, even the 20 lb tanks, unless it's really cold, and we have to run the furnace a lot. The stove and refrigerator use minimal amounts.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

12 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'd omit the 30 lb tanks, unless you are truly "buff."

My Oliver salesman also pointed out that you can often find 20# tanks for sale at places -- gas stations, 7-11, etc -- but will rarely find the 30# tanks at these places. Between that knowledge and considering that a 30# tank weighs 75 or 80 pounds when full, I decided on the 20# tanks. I will carry an extra if necessary for boondocking, etc. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

46 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I wouldn't. Propane tanks, even "empty" ones, should only be carried in a properly vented area. Propane us heavier than air, and if leaked, it collects in the lowest area. 

We actually rarely carry an extra tank. Propane lasts a long time for us, even the 20 lb tanks, unless it's really cold, and we have to run the furnace a lot. The stove and refrigerator use minimal amounts.

"I wouldn't. Propane tanks, even "empty" ones, should only be carried in a properly vented area. Propane us heavier than air, and if leaked, it collects in the lowest area. "

My intuition was the same.   Thanks for verifying that it was not a good idea.   What could possibly go wrong?   💥🎆🧨🔥

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Kim. Thank you for asking all these ?  I’m new too  Mid Oct delivery. And I’m also trying to figure out what I need to add to my build sheet.  3/4 time campground. A few weekends boondocking. Thanks everyone

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2022 Elite 2 twin.  Hull1273

2021 Tundra Crew Crab V8

So excited!  I paid my deposit this morning!! 🥳 Josh is going to let me know what the cost is for the upgraded air conditioner today. I also asked him if it eventually is standard and not an option would I be reimbursed.   He sshe thinks it should be standard and that that was a good question.  I think an air conditioner should be standard and not an option in the air conditioner should run well and be quiet.  What do you all think and maybe if we get together and ask them to make it standard they will.  But again I’m new here and I don’t wanna rock the Oliver.,,,, just let me know if I am  and I will settle down.  

Just read the terms and conditions that I am supposed to sign.  It doesn’t make me feel warm and cozy.  Did you all sign this? 🤔 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kim Smith said:

So excited!  I paid my deposit this morning!! 🥳 Josh is going to let me know what the cost is for the upgraded air conditioner today. I also asked him if it eventually is standard and not an option would I be reimbursed.   He sshe thinks it should be standard and that that was a good question.  I think an air conditioner should be standard and not an option in the air conditioner should run well and be quiet.  What do you all think and maybe if we get together and ask them to make it standard they will.  But again I’m new here and I don’t wanna rock the Oliver.,,,, just let me know if I am  and I will settle down.  

Just read the terms and conditions that I am supposed to sign.  It doesn’t make me feel warm and cozy.  Did you all sign this? 🤔 

Hi Kim,  we paid our deposit about two weeks ago.   I chose November 7 for our pick up date.   Are they talking about going with a Truma A/C?   When I talked with our sales guy he didn't know if it was a done deal.   The terms and conditions are standard contract language in my view.   Those things rarely make a person feel all warm and cozy.   We signed ours.   Welcome to the Oliver family. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Kim Smith said:

Just read the terms and conditions that I am supposed to sign.  It doesn’t make me feel warm and cozy.  Did you all sign this?

Since I don't know exactly what you were asked to sign - I can't comment.  However, I will assume that it is some sort of standard contract language that was written by some corporate lawyer from the viewpoint of "protecting" the corporation and not the buyer (counterparty).  I do remember when it came time to sign my Oliver contract I balked at several areas to include language that said something like Oliver was not responsible for delivery delays and there was nothing in the contract about what was to happen if they could not or would not actually produce a trailer.  I "demanded" financials, a clearer understanding of what happens in the event of ......  , and in general for all parts of the contract to be adjusted to more "fairly" be written so that what was good for the goose was also good for the gander.

Well, basically, those demands were turned aside (stonewalled).  Luckily I used to be in the investments business and was able to get financial data on the Oliver companies that most people would simply not have access to.  This plus keeping copies of ALL email correspondence where I received assurances that I had nothing to worry about somewhat assuaged my nervousness.

So, here I am 7 years later not regretting my purchase one bit.  You are right to feel that these contracts are (usually) very one sided.  But, there are at least two things on your side - 1.  consumer protection laws, and, 2 - history.

Bill 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

41 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Just read the terms and conditions that I am supposed to sign.  It doesn’t make me feel warm and cozy.  Did you all sign this?

I concur with Topgun2's comments above.  I am a retired lawyer.  I signed the same contract when we placed our deposit last October.

Yes, the agreement was written by Oliver's counsel to give Oliver "all the marbles."  That is standard practice for manufacturers.  We consumers have no leverage to get more favorable contract language.

So why did I choose to sign the contract and pay my deposit, despite the one-sided language?  Oliver's history of mostly on-time production, their demonstrated commitment to customer service and the fact that Oliver trailers retain their resale value remarkably well. This means that my remedy is in the marketplace, not the courts.  In the highly unlikely event that I am disappointed, I can sell the trailer for likely close to what I paid for it and move on.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

11 hours ago, Kim Smith said:

Josh is going to let me know what the cost is for the upgraded air conditioner today.

Very strange. I talked to my sales rep yesterday and she said she hasn't heard anything about offering the new A/C as an option for the 2022 models. What's your delivery date, Kim?

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

1 hour ago, Caddymv said:

I also spoke with my rep yesterday. And he could not confirm a new ac either

I'm wondering if they'll only be available for fall/winter 2022 builds??? Just speculation. I asked my rep to let me know as soon as she hears something. If she does, I'll share here.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

3 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Josh is going to let me know what the cost is for the upgraded air conditioner today.

Hmmmmm.  Our rep, Anita, reports they are working on a potential Truma AC upgrade, but cannot commit that they will install it in our build for a September 6 delivery.  Kim, please promptly post what Josh says about the cost of the Truma AC upgrade.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

We are early September delivery also. Greatly hoping for the Truma AC. 

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Probably the only fair way to do this is to have the production line change over when the 2023’s are being built. How would a September delivery buyer feel if the October deliveries had a bonus included or available?  IMO the AC could help sales on the ‘23 models even with a predicted bump in base pricing. 

At the same time Oliver could offer a new ‘22 buyer the upgrade option that would be installed at the service center. The upgrade might be double the price of a factory assembly line upgrade but many would pay it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I'm wondering if they'll only be available for fall/winter 2022 builds??? Just speculation. I asked my rep to let me know as soon as she hears something. If she does, I'll share here.

My delivery date is November 7, so hopefully they will know something by then.   I am interested in the Truma also. 

• Like 1

spacer.png