Tent Camping to Trailer Comforts to Tent Camping to Never going back to a Tent Camping again.

Those who Tent Camped in their youth are less likely to move into a RV or Trailer.  They most likely put a camper on the back of the Pickup Truck... and lived in comfort.

Those who spend more time Off the Grid... immediately recognize the benefits of a Trailer.  An RV... limits your options for Off the Grid Boondocking.  A Trailer up to 30 feet... can go to many places for those with driving skills, that most have none to brag about.  We went from tent, 23 foot Airstream, 25 foot Airstream and stopped with a 27 foot Airstream, which is 28 feet long.  If you tend to back into things, cannot judge the height of tree branch clearances, depth of ruts or pot holes in a NFS or BLM dirt road, width of a road, sage brush and Aspen leaning onto the sides of the 1.5 wide lane... etc... Stick with the camper on the pickup.

The 25 foot Airstream Safari was a perfect length.  After one season Tent Camping... photos... no more Tent Camping for the Blue Heelers.  Waking up in the middle of the night with various parts of a Blue Heeler in your face... is an experience.  That is why an Oliver II is an attractive length and if we find one used... as it has to be ONLY Propane and Solar Independent.  Plugging into anything for power is OK as long as it a 'Rock or the side of a Tree'.

Those who want to argue the point... start your own Thread.  You probably have never OTG Boondocked with us, before.  If once, probably not a second time.  We are like Star Trek trailer towers...  'Go where Human Beans do not Dare'.  The majority of Campers... are social Human Beans.  They live to have company and chatter about things that many find... unusual... like their previous illnesses and why their hair has turned... purple.  But that is another story, or lie... you chose.

I recall when the Tent was optional.  As long as you could find your 4x4 vehicle... things were good.  Modern GPS has fixed that issue.

What is your story?  If you never tent camped... start your own Thread.  You have no clue what we are discussing.  Two daughters were results of... tent camping.  One big reason we went to an Airstream.

...and if you are posting... photographs are proof that you are not reading a National Geographic and cutting out illustrations.  I offered to fly the National Geographic flag when I was 16 years old, collecting fossil mammal fossils in the Badlands of Nebraska.  They did reply.  No flag...  I did it anyways for many years.

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, BoondockingAirstream said:

Those who Tent Camped in their youth are less likely to move into a RV or Trailer.

Really?  Do you have some stats that prove this or is it just your opinion?

I tent camped (still do) and moved directly to an RV bumper pull/trailer.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I tent camped as a kid.  We had a big canvas tent that my parents and four brothers camped in for several years until my dad could afford a used pop up camper that we pulled behind our Ford Fairlane 500 station wagon.  Boy Scouts too.  My camping partner doesn’t like tent camping so we’re in a luxurious Oliver!  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, BoondockingAirstream said:

Those who Tent Camped in their youth are less likely to move into a RV or Trailer.  They most likely put a camper on the back of the Pickup Truck... and lived in comfort.

I do not believe that statement. Who told you that?

I tent camped when I was a kid. My Dad then bought a Apache pop-up tent camper and we went all over eastern Canada and the the eastern part of the U.S. camping.

Not inclined to crawl out of a tent or a pop-up tent trailer anymore so we got our Ollie. We still have a couple of tents though for the grand kids and will buy one for the picnic table,

Correction - We do tent camp in the British Virgin Islands though every March (except last year).

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Really?  Do you have some stats that prove this or is it just your opinion?

I tent camped (still do) and moved directly to an RV bumper pull/trailer.

Bill

Two out of two examples, 100%.  Myself and my Wife.  Did it when young.  Did it again in 2018... after selling the 25 foot Airstream... and went to 27 feet and never looked back.  My survey is also accurate.  I did the survey myself.

I would suggest that dewdev and topgun2 do a survey of their town or city with more to question.  I did my survey.  My community  was 2 out of 2.  If you could survey a small town of, lets say 15,000 citizens and get some percentage, I would accept that as being accurate and rest my case like Perry Mason.

I have a feeling that some post on the Forum just to get those weekly posting counts up.  When I have 999 posts on the Forum... I will quit posting.  Is that a fair statement?    

I may adjust to less than 300 posts,  quit and let others who need to fill space on a Thread fill it up.  After 300 posts, I would be struggling to come up with anything of any value to say.  Already I am running into critical editorial comments and may need to hire an Editor to Fake Check further material I find written on the walls at the Maverick Service Station toilet door.

I can easily see who is posting the most.  I have been here for, what?  Three or four years?  I woke up from hibernating and needed to refresh my typing skills.  Many mega posters use their cell phones and make the messages short.  I use a keyboard and even add photographs to show what I am discussing.  Maybe others should post more interesting material and start some Threads that will provoke some curiosity and discussion.

I tend to find the same critics gathering like vultures ready to pluck feathers, when they should be soaring like an Eagle and let some of us... toss out ideas.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Boon… you remind me of a couple of people I drink coffee with on occasion.  Persons who have strong beliefs and  are willing to share them.  I know that when I sit with them that there will be a discussion.  As long as I don’t take them or myself too seriously it will be fun.  

We live in a redwood forest in Mendocino County, CA.  The most dangerous critters I run into are deer ticks, that can carry Lyme disease.  Yogi recently moved into the neighborhood and is tearing up everybody's trash.  We’ll see how that plays out.

For us - ground clothes, tents, camper, trailers.

Cheers

• Like 2

image.jpeg.7fccb45a33615b2deaeeaeedc4bbbfcb.jpeg

Fellow Booner... lively discussions revive the soul.

Some are offended if you disagree with how the Moon rotates, which it doesn't.  The longer the post, the more possibilities of improper verbs, misspelled nouns causing conflict with one another, causing a rupture within the English Departments at major Universities.

I have spent more evenings in my destitute youth, sleeping on picnic tables overnight, then the next morning spend sunrise to sunset hunting fossils on Ranches in western Nebraska.  A tent took too much time to set up and when driving a 1956 and stepped up to a 1964 VW Bug... with myself and a passenger, and my brother as a third person in the back... there was not much room for things, other canned Tuna, and Doughnuts.  The drive from Independence, Missouri to western Nebraska was 685 miles to campsite.

No more tent camping for us.  Still have my first tent and our last tent.  Makes my first tent over 50 years old... and at one time this tent style were used on Mount Everest  by climbers.

I may have to revise my estimate number for postings to Under 200, since I do not have an Oliver II, yet.  And it would be foolish for a Neanderthal to burn the rope, before getting using it.

Chiggers... my new friend is the curse of all insects.  Oklahoma is home to the best... be good.  I cannot help myself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BoondockingAirstream said:

Some are offended if you disagree with how the Moon rotates, which it doesn't.  

But it does rotate….. slowly.

https://www.space.com/24871-does-the-moon-rotate.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

BoondockingAirstream - So you are over one third the way to your 300, but that would be no fun if you quit then.

Two people do not make a survey.

You can do your survey right here in a new forum subject (see the tab at the top of the starting page) and get more than 2 people voting. I would be more than happy to be one of the voters. Let the real survey begin. 

• Like 4

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

This was to provoke thought.  Not a Survey that has any meaning or solves anything.   This is not a Serious Discussion.  Probably if the Moderator's prefer, delete this Thread.

The Moon keeps the same face towards the Earth.  Only one side of the Moon is seen from the Earth.  Better yet... "A Day on Earth would last only six to twelve hours without the Moon."

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Perspective, it's all in one's perspective.  From the earth's surface, our moon appears not to rotate.  But someone viewing the moon from the sun (ouch) would perceive the moon rotating 13.5 times per year, along an elliptical path while circling the earth, as explained in John's video.

Those whose entire universe is comprised of two people (a loving match, indeed) are happy with a sample size of two, since it is the whole world.  Those who also have a statistical background would prefer a larger sample size.

Perspective changes one's reality.

You will LOVE your Ollie, when you find it . . . you will use it to rotate all over this land.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg