Recommend a heavy duty mechanical scissor jack?

John E Davies

I need one for my wife’s new RDX that came without a spare tire. I bought the wheel and tire but need a decent jack, hopefully one that I could also use now and then in the shop.  Most of the $30 “1 1/2 ton”  jacks are really low quality and they fail spectacularly when the steel buckles or the threads strip. This one isn’t any heavier in weight, but it is rated higher and has some very nice features.

C127053D-ECB9-4130-B896-7266D9EB1BA9.thumb.jpeg.d74fc126b8a747721432e1fa4be63409.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/IMAYCC-Effortless-Thickened-Portable-Emergency/dp/B08TBWMZZW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

At least I could return it free if it turns out to be bogus. And no, I do not want to carry a little hydraulic bottle jack, I don’t like those and they can leak. Any suggestions? Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The mixed reviews on these scissor jacks on Amazon always keep me from buying one.  A lot of good reviews but also some scary failures.   I’ve been using a leftover scissor jack that I still have from my old Dodge pickup truck (the truck is long gone).  It’s worked really well, very thick metal parts.  Might be worth checking scrapyards to find an old factory scissor jack from a full size truck.  I’m skeptical of the imported jacks on Amazon. 

• Like 6

Well, I couldn’t wait, I ordered one, and I’ll post a followup after I look it over and test it. In the meantime, other recommendations would be appreciated.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

14 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Darn it, I hate articles like that, 😉 - I did not even get to the Hummer scissors jack, when I saw the Safe Jack, and that stopped me in my tracks. It is made in Pasco WA  just a couple of hours away, so I feel obliged to get a kit.  ...  https://safejacks.com 

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/safe-jack-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack - watch some of the "how to" videos toward the bottom!

I think it would be useful for the Ollie too, you could use the saddle adapter and lift one axle by the tube, close to the springs. I was pretty much dead set against hydraulic ones, most are are a pain, they leak, they don't go high enough, you have to block therm. But this changed my mind about that attitude - it is long but very educational and entertaining.

Highlift jack vs Bottle jack vs Exhaust jack

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankC said:

Yeah thanks…. I didn’t even know that Army surplus HUMVEE scissor jacks existed until your post.  Now I must have one! 😂

It has a post up top, you will have to buy or fabricate adapter(s) to fit it. Or drill big holes in your frame rail, if there aren’t suitable ones already. That’s why I didn’t get one….but the steel probably won’t buckle😳

John Dabies

Spokane WA

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

It has a post up top, you will have to buy or fabricate adapter(s) to fit it. Or drill big holes in your frame rail, if there aren’t suitable ones already. That’s why I didn’t get one….but the steel probably won’t buckle😳

John Dabies

Spokane WA

Yeah, the aluminum adapter from Agile Offroad that fits over the post is another $90.  This Oliver addiction is getting expensive! 

• Wow 1

The Oliver has taken over my life and my budget 😂.   I have no other habits like smoking, drinking, or gambling to spend money on, just the Oliver and travel.  So I purchased one of the military surplus HUMVEE scissor jacks and the Agile Offroad adapter block.  I know there are some Ollie owners that use their stabilizer jacks to lift the Ollie for tire changes, but I prefer not to.  The HUMVEE jack is brand new in box military surplus from an EBAY source here in the US.   A very heavy duty jack.  Beefier than the scissor jack I was using from my old (long gone) Dodge pickup truck.  HUMVEE jack on the right, Dodge jack on the left in the first photo.

Nice features on the HUMVEE jack like a ratcheting handle, a very large baseplate for a big footprint on softer ground, a gear reduction box (see photo, on the right end of the jack screw) to give a big mechanical advantage while raising the jack, and a nice carry bag included.

I’ll be doing my wheel bearing repack in a couple months before hitting the road again with the Ollie, and I think this new scissor jack will be a big improvement for lifting the Ollie.  It’s appropriately sized for the Ollie, from the specs I’ve found it’s rated for 3.5 tons.

I tried a bottle jack but that requires wooden blocks to get enough lift height, and bottle jacks require additional safety measures like jack stands or the Ollie stabilizers.  And the old Dodge truck jack seemed just a little undersized for the Ollie (it was from a Dodge Dakota pickup).

And the Agile adapter block fits perfectly under Ollie lift points on the suspension subframe.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AM-GENERAL-5939822-MILITARY-TRUCK-SCISSOR-JACK-NSN-5120-01-375-0070-/284624079355?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agile-h1-scissor-jack-axle-frame-jack-adaptor/

B84CD191-D4B4-449B-B301-A681AA80065A.jpeg

B7295C42-31BB-4E5F-A8ED-E17A31AD5A9A.jpeg

000282D4-D6A7-45E0-AADE-D177865AFE86.jpeg

FEDDCDA9-B67D-4457-BC2E-8934C67D17C1.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Wow, that is cool, gear reduction, does it take a bunch of cranks to get it extended? Maybe make an adapter for a power driver? Have you considered getting the Agile saddle (curved) adapter so you can lift an axle tube?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Products-1-2-in-Scissor-Jack-Adapter-QP-SJA/306535553

I got my Amazon one, but I am waiting before I post pics, I was finally able to locate a spare tire kit for my Acura which includes an OEM jack, and I want to do a side by side pic like yours. It is nowhere as stout or classy as the Hummer version. I might end up returning it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

1 minute ago, John E Davies said:

Wow, that is cool, gear reduction, does it take a bunch of cranks to get it extended? Maybe make an adapter for a power driver? Have you considered getting the Agile saddle (curved) adapter so you can lift an axle tube?

I got my Amazon one, but I am waiting before I post pics, I was finally able to locate a spare tire kit for my Acura which includes an OEM jack, and I want to do a side by side pic like yours. It is nowhere as stout or classy as the Hummer version. I might end up returning it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

The Agile adapter is reversible.  Flat on one face and curved on the other so it can also be used for lifting on an axle tube.   The gear reduction seems to be about 3 or 4 to 1, so it definitely increases the amount of cranking, but the jack is pretty tall to start with,  especially with the Agile block on top, and the ratchet handle makes for pretty quick work when raising. 

• Like 3

I guess I just don't see the need to stabilize the trailer more then you can do it with the onboard system as built. I know some are very sensitive to motion, so I guess they need to have there trailer feel like walking on concrete floors where they don't feel any motion under there feet. If I feel the motion is a little too much, I just hive the rear jacks a little bump and all is ok. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

5 hours ago, Trainman said:

I guess I just don't see the need to stabilize the trailer more then you can do it with the onboard system as built. I know some are very sensitive to motion, so I guess they need to have there trailer feel like walking on concrete floors where they don't feel any motion under there feet. If I feel the motion is a little too much, I just hive the rear jacks a little bump and all is ok. 

trainman

Trainman, I think you’re misunderstanding what we’re discussing scissor jacks for.  This heavy duty scissor jack is to lift one side of the Ollie completely off the ground for flat tire changes & wheel bearing maintenance using the labeled lift points on the Oliver frame.  I’m not using this heavy duty scissor jack for stabilizing the trailer while camping.  I do use the onboard stabilizer jacks as intended to prevent rocking of the camper when set up at a campsite.  Oliver recommends AGAINST using the onboard stabilizer jacks to lift the trailer completely for tire changes, etc. although some owners have been known to do that. 

• Like 1

Some pics. first is my new Acura OEM jack, it is fairly thin steel but has rolled edges and rolled “gear” teeth and grooves in the sides. All help to increase durability and strength. It has a black paint finish.

32716ED1-5B3B-44A7-A7F4-97E6199C5033.thumb.jpeg.22adc64a905731f5df6c2353d7ae7089.jpeg

3FEF7B95-CE64-47AD-BFC1-CCC9E27EBF60.thumb.jpeg.bdfc33fe031b7b8d033d5afc9f21ff72.jpeg

D7433EFE-378A-471C-8315-13FD4EE9DC48.thumb.jpeg.7dda008f68beed12898fdba7a47a64a8.jpeg

Here is the one from my 1998 Lexus, it actually has separate teeth/ gears, the parts are cad plated and the drive rod is stainless:

9685B742-D5CA-4424-95E6-D0A0A9C8F3E5.thumb.jpeg.14bba5a9c4ec492f35ac77b7bd3bc827.jpeg

B3FF110F-8651-4201-A8B8-633E91F411D7.thumb.jpeg.714db1d3f0291a5cb96b8fbe41c45f23.jpeg

Both are about the same size and weight, and both operate very smoothly and feel pretty well put together. Here is the IMAYCC one from Amazon:

E66DB8C3-9FFB-42AC-BBFD-729B60879EBF.thumb.jpeg.7142e4a7bddd6b70230489be9bcd76a8.jpeg

FA07C817-E007-4688-A1BA-065000EEBBFE.thumb.jpeg.c38d5d37423929e76ef67da82e66f021.jpeg

It is definitely stouter, with a larger foot, but they are relying on thicker steel for strength, there are no reinforcing rolls or ridges. It works OK, but it is stiff, a little bit kludgey, and definitely feels like a cheap tool. I decided to keep it as a extra or quick access jack, it fits very neatly on the shelf beside my jack stands, it will be much easier than dragging out my monster floor jack, which works great, but it is overkill sometimes.

66288968-8F70-4C34-A0AE-2197E06F7ABD.thumb.jpeg.8cf52819dce50e1fe7cf61b7686a6210.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

Here is an interesting warning chart that I have never seen for a jack, this is part of the IMAYCC owners manual. I changed the metric height to inches.

1307618899_Scissorsjackloadvsheightchart.thumb.png.e0c1f791d436f940f8900661fd4a38f3.png

I don't quite know how to interpret it, there is no Capacity figure for the lower part of the Y axis, other than the "0" that is in the corner for both axes.... Does this mean that the jack can support zero weight when fully collapsed? What is the capacity at say 10"? Maybe this is why some of these scissors jacks collapse, you exceeded the zero weight capacity. 😉 I think I will contact the manufacturer on Amazon to see if they reply. 

BTW, a hydraulic jack rated at 3 tons would support 3 tons anywhere in its range of travel....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1