Oliver curious

jules2go

Hello,

I'm a current Nucamp Tab 320 owner and am considering full-time travel. There are only a few tt that I'm interested in and the Oliver is at the top. Resale value is a big motivator. But I love the looks and the build quality. Four season is another reason. Hoping to learn here and maybe even get lucky to find a used one in the classifieds. Thank you. 

Julia

• Like 2

Welcome, which model? They are really great trailers, but if your TAB has the wonderful Alde heating system, you are REALLY going to miss it. Ollies have regular forced air furnaces, and they are quite noisy and not very effective or efficient. I am quite enamored by the Nucamp Cirrus truck campers because of that item....

John Davies

Spokane  WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Welcome, which model? They are really great trailers, but if your TAB has the wonderful Alde heating system, you are REALLY going to miss it. Ollies have regular forced air furnaces, and they are quite noisy and not very effective or efficient. I am quite enamored by the Nucamp Cirrus truck campers because of that item....

John Davies

Spokane  WA

I just sold my nuCamp TAB 400 Boondock Lite and will get  delivery on an Oliver in September. Davies is correct the Alde heating is very good and I do not look forward to force air. However we plan more colder shoulder season camping and we are giving Oliver a go as it appears better than my TAB 400. If we wish another change we can always go back to nuCamp in a couple years. nuCamp and Oliver  are both are such a higher quality overall than so much of the rest of the RV world.

• Like 5

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• Moderators

After you've had your Oliver a bit, I'll look forward to your comments on both heating systems.  

I've never had a hydronic system,  like the alde,  in a camper.  But, I have had Radiator heat in homes in the Midwest not glycol, though. There are pluses and minuses, and I truly look forward to informed comparison. 

Sorry for the thread drift, jules2go, though maybe it's not? Important to compare all features. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

There are pluses and minuses, and I truly look forward to informed comparison.

Thread drift is OK, as long as it drifts back again after a while😬

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/alde-hydronic-heating-system-test-and-review/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane  WA

John, the Alde is super nice, without a doubt. That is kind of disappointing about the Ollie heater. The Cirrus is nice, yes. I think If I had a bigger truck, I would be interested in it. I'm close to going with the 2022 Nucamp 400, but for full-time travel, it is also maybe a little on the small side. Thank you for your message. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:58 PM, SeaDawg said:

After you've had your Oliver a bit, I'll look forward to your comments on both heating systems.  

I've never had a hydronic system,  like the alde,  in a camper.  But, I have had Radiator heat in homes in the Midwest not glycol, though. There are pluses and minuses, and I truly look forward to informed comparison. 

Sorry for the thread drift, jules2go, though maybe it's not? Important to compare all features. 

No worries, thank you for your thoughts. 

On 2/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, Gliddenwoods said:

I just sold my nuCamp TAB 400 Boondock Lite and will get  delivery on an Oliver in September. Davies is correct the Alde heating is very good and I do not look forward to force air. However we plan more colder shoulder season camping and we are giving Oliver a go as it appears better than my TAB 400. If we wish another change we can always go back to nuCamp in a couple years. nuCamp and Oliver  are both are such a higher quality overall than so much of the rest of the RV world.

Oh, WOW! How funny that you went from a 400 to an Ollie. This heating system in the Ollie is something I need to look into. I'm interested to know what it was about the Tab 400 in winter that didn't work for you. What exactly makes a four season camper better for winter? You still have to winterize, so what's the benefit? If I'm full-timing, I'd probably just "go where the weather suits my (camper's) clothes" (as the old song goes). But I know there is a benefit there somewhere.