Adding water to the tank without a pressurized hose hookup for boondocking

We just bought a mattress for our Legacy Elite.

Arghh, then we realized that the normal pain-in-the-rear system of undoing our bedding and cushions in order to rearrange the water valves for boondocking mode just became a very major pain-in-the-rear. Therefore, we are looking for a way we can pump water into the tank without changing the valves under the bed.

Does anyone know of a way to fill up the water tank without changing the valves if you don't have access to a pressurized garden hose hookup?

Thanks in advance to all you wizards out there.

• Moderators

Nope - 

However, one possible solution for the dilemma is to install remote control valves.  A private message (PM) to ScubaRX  just might result in help on this mod.

Good luck.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Install a large hinged vertical access door under your bed platform. You might need to hang some colored flags or tags on the valves, for easy identification, but you should be able to reach them easily enough. Or just flip the mattress vertically, then go down from the top. I have ten inch thick mattresses and that works fine. Though it is much easier if you have a sleeping bag there, rather than six layers of sheets and blankets.

Oops, you said you have an Elite, I don’t know if this will work in that model. It would be helpful if you added a signature with your hull number and tow vehicle, and location.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

If you connect your hose (when connected to a water source) to the Fresh Water Inlet it will fill your fresh water tank.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

7 hours ago, FrankC said:

Here’s a previous post on the forum on a Water Transfer Pump Project

I like Craig’s Water Transfer Pump solution, using the fresh water inlet.  Keep your bed made, valves in normal position, make only one trip outside.  It has the additional benefit of always having a spare onboard water pump on hand.   I’ve only got a heavy twin bed mattress to fuss with, but now this project is on my wish list.

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Access to the plumbing controls with the mattress and bedding is most definitely a major PITA.    As is getting to the valve to drain your fresh water tank... and NO.. I have never been successful reaching that from the access port.  

So here is my solution:   Push the mattress up and then use the hatch door to prop and keep it up.  Then you can change the valve configuration to take on water.  When you're done change the valves back, replace the hatch cover and drop the mattress.   Not exactly what you asked for but it's been working for me.   

Good Luck and Happy Camping. 

• Like 4

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

Access to the plumbing controls with the mattress and bedding is most definitely a major PITA.    As is getting to the valve to drain your fresh water tank... and NO.. I have never been successful reaching that from the access port.  

So here is my solution:   Push the mattress up and then use the hatch door to prop and keep it up.  Then you can change the valve configuration to take on water.  When you're done change the valves back, replace the hatch cover and drop the mattress.   Not exactly what you asked for but it's been working for me.   

My technique also.  I’ve contorted every way possible to try to do it from the access port.  Funny to watch but never successful.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

11 hours ago, dewdev said:

If you connect your hose (when connected to a water source) to the Fresh Water Inlet it will fill your fresh water tank.

I think Rob K is asking how to do it when there is not a pressurized water source available, and without having to switch the valves to the boondocking setting.   

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

My technique also.  I’ve contorted every way possible to try to do it from the access port.  Funny to watch but never successful.  Mike

One of the reasons we've always stayed with cushions. We keep the rear dinette made up as a bed, all the time. 

The older Elites have a tiny access port, about midway back, and  just about big enough for a man's arm. Add to that the joy of pulling out all the stuff stored under the bed,  finding a spot for the crates, and then lying on your stomach under the bed, trying to reach anything. 

Pulling up the cushion to gain full access is much easier. Or, Galway Girl's slick transfer pump that Frank C referenced above. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I like Galway Girl's pump in a box idea.  Looked at it several times and decided that it takes up more space than I can afford.

Since I carry a 20V DeWalt Air Compressor, and a DeWalt 20V Impact Driver just getting a Bingqi Drill Pump and some very short hose connections was the path taken.  I also carry a Fortiflex 20 QT (FB-120) bucket.  It has our garden hose coiled up inside.  The Bingqi Drill Pump and two sort sections of hose bibb fittings fit nicely in the space in the middle of the coiled garden hose. 

The existing OE2 Shure-Flow pump is slow in onboarding water.  It also balks at using a filter to filter the water, and has AT MAX a 3' suction head. 

However this setup has no problem pumping water through a blue filter directly into the water tank.  Less costly, less space, leverages things already on board, and FASTER as well.  

GJ image.png.7962fee80a568d88a6db54f8d62ac36c.png

• Like 5

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your incredible input. Yes, we have the smaller Legacy Elite, (Hull #799), which doesn't have the contortionist tool, er...access port. Being that we want to be able to use a filter when filling the tank, space is a big issue for us and most importantly, I'm just a lazy bum, we're going to give the drill pump method a try.

PS: I would have responded with my thanks earlier, but we've been too busy enjoying life on and off the road!

Rob K

• Like 1

Thank goodness I have never used that water fill feature on our Elite II, we don't Boondock so this is probably  why I never had to deal with the valves under the bed section. Dealing with the fresh water tank drain valve is problem enough. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.