Little Buddy heater and fan

topgun2

• Moderators

Back before my Oliver days I bought a Little Buddy propane heater (like THIS ONE ).  I've used every year while camping and recently added a fan (like THIS ONE ).

Unless it is VERY cold (below 25) I don't like using the onboard furnace at night - it keeps me awake and it uses both propane and electricity.  So, early in the morning when nature calls, I get up, take care of the most important business and then quickly light the heater before jumping back into bed.  Easily within a half hour the Ollie is warm enough to actually get up and get dressed.

After seeing these wood stove fans for a number of years I thought that one just might work on the Little Buddy since it does not have a way to move heated air from one end of the Ollie to the other.  Well - it works!  No batteries, no plugging it in, it simply uses the heat from the Little Buddy to actually create enough electric power to run the fan.  This, in turn, really helps move the air from the front of the Ollie to the back.

I did purchase a long propane hose for the heater so that I could use my 20 pound tanks versus the rather expensive 1 pound green bottles.  But, I've only used that hose once.  The 1 pound bottles will last about 4 to 5 days of heating each day and there are places out West (like Yellowstone) that actually recycle these bottles.

Bill

P1030040.JPG

P1030041.JPG

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Any issues with ventilation and moisture buildup?

I have been considering getting one of the heaters, the extra fan is very nifty!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Any issues with ventilation and moisture buildup?

As you most likely know - propane does release moisture into the air as it burns.  This is one of the reasons that it is recommended to open/crack a window or vent while using the cook top.  I always have the bathroom vent open and that seems to be more than enough for ventilation and moisture.  These little heaters also have built in safety sensors for propane, low oxygen and/or high CO plus tip over.  Like any space heater, they should not be placed near anything combustible.

So, the short answer to your question is - no.

Bill 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks Bill, have you thought about adding this detector, to keep track of carbon monoxide actual levels, since you routinely burn  propane indoors as your primary heat source? If the number ever gets over 70 parts per million, you might be risking your long term health.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6528-best-location-to-install-an-additional-carbon-monoxide-detector/

At least as a temporary measure, to evaluate how well your ventilation is working. As I mentioned there, the one in my garage spikes if I run a car engine nearby, but it hasn’t triggered the alarm sound.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

have you thought about adding this detector

Nope - I'm good as the usage is not "routine" and there are already two other CO detectors in the Ollie in addition to the one in the heater.

But thanks anyway.

Bill

• Like 3

• Moderators

Because of the slope of the top of the heater housing and to get the most heat on the bottom of the fan - note how I attached the fan to the "grill" on the front of the heater with the rear of the fan resting on the top of the heater housing.  It works great in this position and does not vibrate off the top of the heater.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm personally not a fan of portable gas heaters, but everyone has to make their own decisions. 

Some are more efficient than others. Some emit more co and h2o than others. Some like Mr buddy, some like wave. With my tiny  little dog, I'm not partial to either. 

I just leave the furnace on lowest setting,  and reach over to turn it up in the morning, from bed. 

That little fan is really great, though, Topgun2! Love it!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm personally not a fan of portable gas heaters, but everyone has to make their own decisions. 

Some are more efficient than others. Some emit more co and h2o than others. Some like Mr buddy, some like wave. With my tiny  little dog, I'm not partial to either. 

I just leave the furnace on lowest setting,  and reach over to turn it up in the morning, from bed. 

We like to sleep in a cool room,  so your approach is what I would do. 

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

On 2/20/2022 at 6:40 PM, SeaDawg said:

We also like to sleep cold - our bedroom windows are cracked/open year round here in CO. Well, at least until we hit negative temps….

But I have to ask, how do you just reach over and turn the heater on?  The thermostat in our ‘22 is above the aft dinette seat. Time to figure out a thermostat replacement - something with a remote!  🙂

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

1 hour ago, VBistro said:

Time to figure out a thermostat replacement - something with a remote!  🙂

No need to get out of bed!  The thermostat on the newer models will connect to an app on your phone.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators
8 hours ago, VBistro said:

I have to ask, how do you just reach over and turn the heater on?

In our 2008 Elite shorty, the manual thermostat is mounted in the small kitchen.

20220222_075959.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:11 PM, Mike D. said:

No need to get out of bed!  The thermostat on the newer models will connect to an app on your phone.  

I'll double check our thermostat, but I don't think it is bluetooth compatible.  I did see a nice replacement online last night that also operates over wifi (good for remote monitoring for the doggos, when we have signal...).  But it was pretty pricey!

https://smile.amazon.com/Hutch-Mountain-Micro-Air-Thermostat-ASY-350-X01/dp/B08PHMW4J2/ref=rvi_2/141-6090754-5049931?pd_rd_w=8LSog&pf_rd_p=f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_r=WAWV92HDHKB2AT32EB01&pd_rd_r=53dcd96e-0f0a-4485-b3f5-df9902576a26&pd_rd_wg=lgLX0&pd_rd_i=B09NS43KTT&th=1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg