Bed Configuration Opinions

GPnBIRDIE

Brand new to the Forum, with a very recent slot in the Production Que for 2022 Elite II.   My wife and I have vacillated between Standard and Twin bed configuration.   Obviously, there are pros and cons to each, which will be weighed differently based on individual use.   We are looking for feedback from the "experienced".     How easy/difficult is breakdown/setup of the Standard bed.      Are there owners out there that have one configuration, but have regrets and would now prefer the "other", if so, why?

Looking forward to your thoughts and thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. By far most LE2s sold are the Twin version, so that tells you something. How tall are you? At just under 6 feet, I sure would not be happy with a Twin if I were much taller, in terms of leg room. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Twin bed - easier to make up, can be used as "day beds" or couches, no need to bother your partner when getting up at night (or any other time), visually increase space due to the center isle being open, give you the added use of the "night stand".

Standard bed - more overall room for sleeping and lounging, if left in the "bed" position there is copious room underneath for storage, if configured as a table there is very comfortable seating for four and overall seating for as many as six for eating or playing board games or .....

The twin bed can allow for the addition of a lagun table.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome to the forum!   We have the twin bed layout.  We like the extra drawer storage and countertop that the nightstand provides, and the extra aisle space for moving around.   The twin beds are very comfortable (we have the upgraded mattresses).  I’m 6’-1” and have no problems.  And if one of us gets up in the middle of the night it doesn’t disturb the other one.  Plus much faster/easier access to get to the access hatches for all the routine maintenance such as access to the valves for configuration for winterizing or boondocking, easier access to the furnace and water heater systems, electrical systems, etc. by just lifting up one twin mattress, doesn’t even require removing any bedding.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

We have the twin beds.  Agree with Bill and Frank, nightstand storage is nice, easy access to rear and over-bed storage, easier to make the beds and access underneath, no partner disturbance when getting up at night.

The standard configuration does offer more sitting/table space if there are more than two people, the bed is bigger with the advantages of sleeping together, and the under bed storage would be nice if the bad was left up all the time.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We take delivery on our Elite II in September.  The Elite II we toured had the Twin Bed option.  I am 6'0".  The twin bed I laid down on was long enough for me, but not wide enough to support both my shoulders.  That is because a standard twin bed is 38" wide, while the Oliver twin bed is only 30".  I concluded I need that extra 8" to be comfortable.  So, we ordered the Standard Floor Plan.

Also, absent twin beds that are the full 38" wide, my wife and I prefer a king-sized bed to a double or even a queen.  One reason we ordered an Elite II instead of an Elite is that, with the Standard Floor Plan, the Elite II bed is king-sized.  We plan to leave that king-sized bed made up and just use the dinette area for meals, etc.

I strongly recommend that, if you haven't already, you arrange through your sales rep to tour an Elite II with the Twin Bed configuration.  After lying on that twin for a few minutes, then decide for yourself if you will be comfortable sleeping on a 75" x 30" twin long term.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I agree with Bill, Frank and Mike on their points.

I am 5'-11" and have no problem with our twin bed configuration. A little narrow but manageable since I do not toss and turn much.

Reading on the forum, with the standard floor plan, moving the cushions/mattresses is difficult to get at the water valves under the curb side of the Ollie.

If you could visit a Elite II of both versions, you could see the differences for yourself. Check with Oliver sales to see what is near you.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

You could choose the Twin Bed version, but then later convert it to a king with Foy Sperring's folding insert that provides full center support.  See this thread:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6355-twin-beds-to-a-king/

With that $345 option, you have to figure out where to store the additional components when not set up as a king.  With the Standard Floor Plan, the middle insert that goes between the two rear benches comes conveniently velcroed to one of the closet walls.  That is another reason we chose to just go with the Standard Floor Plan from the beginning.

Hope this helps with your decision.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Ours is on order for October.  I think we are going to go with the twin bed setup with the cushions and couches on both sides instead of the upgraded mattresses.  Hopefully they will let me do that.   I want the sitting areas during the day.  Once we do the tour, I might chance my mind but my husband doesn’t want to hassle with the table to make the bed.  Also, it will be easier to access the upper cabinets as well.  

• Like 2

2022 Elite II, Hull #1271

Picked up 10/12/22

2021 FX4 Expedition, Heavy tow package, Anderson Hitch. 

• Moderators

We purchased a used 2017 LE2 with the standard bed and used that bed for one trip.  We left the table at home on the second trip.  We experimented with different sleeping arrangements and as a 6' side sleeper, the rear bench worked best for me.  Krunch claims to be 5' but I don't believe it, so she could sleep on either side or the dinette.  And the dogs are just happy to be touching one of us while they sleep, so they had multiple choices.  After the third trip, we made an appointment to take it back to Hohenwald for a twin bed conversion and we have never looked back.  I believe that the standard bed takes up about 40% of the square footage and made the three rear cabinets very difficult to access for both of us and we didn’t enjoy the twice a day bed to table change over.  And if you upgraded the standard mattress, you are pretty much locked into leaving to bed up 100% of the time.  There are multiple OTTO's that have made the twin bed into a standard bed for temporary usage, such as camping with grandkids.  Check out the option Mike and Carol created, allowing the very clever use of modified dinette cushions to fill in the gap.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I’m 6’1” and do just fine with twin model.  I like the open feel and as mainly solo traveler have other bed setup as couch for daytime and it is also bed for dog at night.  I don’t move much and the width of bed isn’t an issue.   

Good luck !

• Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

We have and like the twin bed.  I am just over 6ft and height challenged for my weight.  It works great for us for all of the already stated reasons.  We also have a side mounted custom Lagun table from Overland's design.  I believe Foy is now making those tables!  Right now my wife is editing photos at the dinette and I am using the Laguna table to respond and do other internet stuff from the shore of Lake Powell in Page AZ.  This Lagun set up allows you to have the nightstand with the basement access and seat 4 for dinner if needed.  Best of both worlds.  This is different for us as like most folks we were used to having one bed.  Feels like we have more floor space for our dog and his bed.  

• Like 2

We went with the Standard bed option.  My wife and I are retired, camp primarily by ourselves and leave the bed made up.  When company arrives for dinner or a visit, we stuff the bedding in stuff sacks we have on hand (primarily a down comforter and a couple of sheets) and put it in the back seat of the pickup.  We use 2" memory foam toppers split down the middle of the bed and encased in sheets - these we roll up and stuff in the back seat of the pickup along with bedding.  The whole process is easy, takes just minutes and leaves you with a large table / seating arrangement.  We have seated seven adults comfortably around the table.  

Gettng in and out of bed for a nighttime stroll is easy - just slide off the foot of the bed (we sleep with heads to the aft end of the trailer).  Accessing valves / breakers under seats is no different than a twin - lift the cushion, prop it up with the lid and make your changes ... it may be incrementally more difficult than a twin setup but not enough to matter.  

The bed, with standard cushions and the toppers is extremely comfortable and it is HUGE.  One issue you might consider with the standard is that the upgrade, latex cushions are very bulky, heavy and could be difficult to deal with if you have a standard model and wish to store the inserts while using the dining table.  For this reason, when placing the order for our standard Oliver II, Rodney in sales suggested we go with the original (thinner) mattress style.  Incidentally, I have found that, leaving the table up, the smaller beds on the standard model are still plenty big enough for me @ 5'9 & 180#.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

One issue you might consider with the standard is that the upgrade, latex cushions are very bulky, heavy and could be difficult to deal with if you have a standard model and wish to store the inserts while using the dining table.  For this reason, when placing the order for our standard Oliver II, Rodney in sales suggested we go with the original (thinner) mattress style. 

Jim and Chris Neuman raise a good point:  choice of mattress matters with the Standard Floor Plan.   My wife likes a soft bed and I like a really firm one.  We use a Sleep Number Bed at home, with her side at 35 and mine at 100!  When tent camping, we take an inflatable mattress for her and just a Thermarest for me.  So, our initial plan with the Elite II is to use an inflatable air mattress for her side, and just the seat cushions on my side. 

When we need to access the valves or breakers under the rear seating platforms, or get to the overhead cabinets, we plan to flip the air mattress up against the wall.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

One option which is not offered anymore is the option with twin beds and the storage bins that were located under the beds, which raised the beds up some 12" or so. This would put the top of the bed at window level, or somewhere close to it, plus not sure how easy it would be to clime into bed and get out of in the middle of the night. Not sure if I would have gotten this option, but you did get a lot more storage room for those who need it. My biggest question is how would you access the mechanicals and reaching the fresh water tank drain would be a reach.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, FrankC said:

The twin beds are very comfortable (we have the upgraded mattresses).  I’m 6’-1” and have no problems.

I'm 6' 3" and the twin works best for us all things considered.  (No dog, great night stand drawer and counter top, etc.).

We had OTT only provide one set of couch pillows.  They store nicely on the kitchen table/seats.  If we had two sets of them, that would a PITA. 

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 2/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, SRLAPATX said:

Thanks to all for the valuable thoughts and feedback. 

Mattnan - might you share a picture of your side mount Lagun table?

Steve

Hi Steve. You also pm me with this request and I responded via pm with the pictures.  You can do a search and find not only my pictures but Overland's full design and his table as well as others that contributed to the thread. Sorry I'd look it up but I am a bit technology challenged. Overland's idea and execution is pure genius.  Thanks, Matt 

• Moderators

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

We ended up not preferring the king bed so we had another support panel made and went with a full size mattress. It is a standard full size. It gives us extra space on the benches that comes in handy for everyday living.

673093D1-438B-4A8C-86FD-48AD98B9851E.jpeg

• Like 3

Yvette & Rich

LE2 Hull 721

TV 2022 Chevy Silverado 

I suspect much depends on how much time you spend in the Ollie. For us, it’s just a few weeks a year. We are older and can manage without cuddling for the days between trips . At our ages, it’s more important to be able to stumble out of bed in the middle of the night to use the restroom. It’s also more important to be able to easily access the attic storage over the beds.  Different strokes for different folks. More importantly, enjoy your travels! ❤️

• Like 2

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463