Any ideas on reattaching this

johnwen

Any good 2 part epoxy, sand both parts with rough paper, clean with alcohol, glue and clamp overnight. I think the factory uses clear epoxy all over the trailer;  JB Weld is better IMHO but it is visible (dark grey). I suggest that you buy the big size in case you find any other spots that need repair.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8281-Professional-Reinforced/dp/B014OVHAOY/ref=asc_df_B014OVHAOY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312344907964&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14474563900679479226&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033787&hvtargid=pla-434928186381&psc=1

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

The first thing I'd do is call Service and see what they recommend.

The second thing would be to use epoxy as JD recommends above.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

PS, when you encounter a part that has popped completely free like that, it usually indicates poor prep work, either the parts were not roughed up or not cleaned well enough, or both. Or perhaps a bad lot of epoxy…. So yes, fill out a service ticket so they can keep track of stuff like this and maybe take corrective action at the factory.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, I had two fall off on my maiden voyage home from pickup. One I found, and service sent me two. Here is what service advised me to use to reattach. 

Plexus MA310 All Purpose High Strength MMA Adhesive 50ml/1.7oz Cartridge (#31500) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY7KMWD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_T0VC6EN5EERN8RPPRYQA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Near Seguin, TX

2020 F250 6.7 power stroke; 2022 LE2 #964

That Plexus looks really super, but the price is hard to swallow - most epoxies have a relatively short shelf life, so once opened it may not last very long. The JB Weld in the big size is affordable and I have used two year old product without any issues. Plus it works very well on non plastic parts. The fuel access door on my car popped free from the hinge, I glued it back successfully, that saved me having to buy a used door and having it painted by a body shop. I am a JB Weld Fan Boy.

John Davies 

Spokane  WA

• Like 5

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I am a JB Weld Fan Boy.

JD suggested JB Weld to me about 2 years ago.  And I have had very good success with it since then and as he mentioned, the self life is excellent even in Florida, where the 3M product's last a month if I’m lucky.  I order the large size tubes from Home Depot.  So I’m nominating him for president of the JB Weld fan club of which I am a member.

Mossey

• Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

You can also thru-bolt the bracket back on.  A couple 1/4" bolts would be bombproof.  I would suggest stainless carriage bolts - they have a clean, low profile look and are very strong.  Drill hole in glass slightly oversized so that the square area behind the round bolt head seats tightly into the countersunk hole, keeping the bolt from turning when tightening.  A bit of epoxy behind the bolt head will lock the bolt in.

It also helps to rough up the back of the bracket to help the adhesive adhere.  I am talking heavy scraping or even dimples drilled into the back of the bracket.

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

The first thing I'd do is call Service and see what they recommend.

The second thing would be to use epoxy as JD recommends above.

Bill

As OTT has ramped up production,  are we seeing more quality issues?   We pick up ours in November.   I do plan to stick around for a few days to check everything out.   My pick up day is a Monday so we can correct anything before leaving.   I thought they had a quality control inspection as the trailer is being built. 

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderator+
28 minutes ago, John Welte said:

As OTT has ramped up production,  are we seeing more quality issues?   We pick up ours in November.   I do plan to stick around for a few days to check everything out.   My pick up day is a Monday so we can correct anything before leaving.   I thought they had a quality control inspection as the trailer is being built. 

I don't think this is an ongoing quality control issue. Things that are glued on can fall off. Nuts on bolts can work loose. Remember folks, a travel trailer going down the road is a 6.0 scale earthquake going through a hurricane. Lots of stresses.

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

I thought they had a quality control inspection as the trailer is being built. 

Yes, they do.  And there is another QC inspection when the trailer is transferred from Production to Sales.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

when you encounter a part that has popped completely free like that, it usually indicates poor prep work, either the parts were not roughed up or not cleaned well enough, or both. Or perhaps a bad lot of epoxy

I am with John Davies on this one.  Yes, travel trailers are subjected to lots of stress, bumps and jolts on the road.  But if properly done at the factory, glued joints should not fail, particularly on a relatively new unit.

This is not a bargain-brand trailer.  Oliver sells a "Legacy" premium trailer for a premium price.  Consider this statement on the Oliver website:

"Our design and specifications provide superior insulation, durability, strength, and ease of maintenance. Our camping trailers are built to last a lifetime and then some. That is why we call it the LEGACY ELITE. The Oliver is built using only the highest quality materials, making it one of the longest lasting RVs on the market and can be passed down to the next generation."

I, for one, am pleased that Oliver is being made aware that glued parts are falling off of relatively new units.  I hope they address the underlying QC issue before mine is built for September delivery.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

14 hours ago, Frank-n-Val said:

John, I had two fall off on my maiden voyage home from pickup. One I found, and service sent me two.

Hi Frank-n-Val,

I see you have a 2022 model as well, I wonder if previous years had issues with this as well.  We're hull 996 🙂  We'll get it figured out!

John

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

John, 

As John Davies mentioned above, could be a bad batch of adhesive. Doesn’t seem to have been a big problem in the past. Not sure how you discovered your problem, but had I not seen one of the blocks fall as I was backing into storage, I wouldn’t have known they came off. I opened a ticket and sent a picture to Oliver service asking what it was, and was told it glued to the inside of the propane cover. I pulled the cover off and found the two 4” blocks had fallen off. The longer, middle block was still attached and appeared to be solid. 
Frank

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 3

Near Seguin, TX

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Frank-n-Val said:

I opened a ticket and sent a picture to Oliver service asking what it was, and was told it glued to the inside of the propane cover. I pulled the cover off and found the two 4” blocks had fallen off. The longer, middle block was still attached and appeared to be solid. 

And - how/what did you use to put them back in place?

Bill

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Frank-n-Val said:

Bill, Plexus MA310 (see above post, same topic).

Frank - 

Any issues with using the Plexus?  

Did you have any remaining and if so how long did it last before any of it went "bad".

• Like 1

No problem using. It’s a two-part epoxy (equal parts), and I didn’t buy their applicator— just squeezed out on a piece of plank, mixed and used a putty knife to apply to the blocks. Then I clamped each on—pretty easy to see where they went. Left clamped overnight, although probably don’t need that long. I did ruff up the two surfaces the epoxy went between with 80 grit sandpaper (didn’t overdo it). I doubt the remaining epoxy is any good, but haven’t checked. But I will and report back. 

PS: The Plexus is still good after a month and a half. The bottle only rates the shelf life from date of manufacture as 7 months though. It is pricey and I used about half. 
Frank

Edited by Frank-n-Val
Additional info.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Near Seguin, TX

On 2/19/2022 at 7:28 AM, Frank-n-Val said:

John, I had two fall off on my maiden voyage home from pickup. One I found, and service sent me two. Here is what service advised me to use to reattach. 

Plexus MA310 All Purpose High Strength MMA Adhesive 50ml/1.7oz Cartridge (#31500) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY7KMWD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_T0VC6EN5EERN8RPPRYQA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Frank-N-Val:

Thanks for your report.  Now the question of interest to this retired attorney with an Elite II on order:  since Oliver apparently sent you the parts but not the Plexus epoxy with which to reattach them, did Oliver's service department reimburse you for the cost of the Plexus?  Or, did Oliver offer to pay for repair, including labor, at an RV service center near you, so you were not "out of pocket" for the repairs?

Glued parts falling off during your "maiden voyage home from pickup" are surely covered under Oliver's "5 Star Warranty," which includes a "one-year limited warranty on all components against defects in materials or workmanship."  Did Oliver "limit" the warranty to the lost parts they sent you, but decline to pay for the epoxy necessary to reattach them?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Did Oliver "limit" the warranty to the lost parts they sent you, but decline to pay for the epoxy necessary to reattach them?

My experience over the last 6 years has been that Oliver goes above and beyond for warranty work.  If a tube of epoxy is an issue, I’m sure they would reimburse or send a check for the glue.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

The blocks that fell off are there because the "pioneers" like us, felt they were helpful. Not original equipment in the first generation. Not essential,  but they do help reduce rub. We added them, circa 2011 or 2012. . 

A small tube of jb weld is probably 6 or 7 dollars. It's in our kit, anyway, for trailer and boat. 

Even so, if you would experience the same rare failure, I'm sure Oliver would reimburse you. They've always been decent and generous.  Make sure you open a ticket, and get advice, before you launch out on your own, imo. Like others, I've not heard of this failure before.  Anything can happen.  

Block placement is important,  and jb weld is pretty permanent. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Being a modeler and using every type of glues out there and pretty much know what works and what doesn't I would have my own ideas on what to use. First I might try 3M double sticky tape as the glue is still stuck on the fiberglass panel which is not that smooth, but the glue surface does look smooth and the other part has a smooth surface. All being said, the 3M tape will hold more then you think it will and for a long time. A lot of glues that were mentioned above are being misused for that type of application for the materials involved. 

trainman

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.