Basement access door under the nightstand.

John Welte

We need to finalize our options list by August.   In looking at the basement access door,  it looks quite small.   There's also access to the basement under the streetside bed.   I wonder how useful that access door is.   I can see a couple benefits;   open it up in cold weather to get more warm air between the hulls, and a place to put small items like shoes or slippers.   Do any of you owners have that option and was it worth it?   I will probably be asking lots of questions.   Sorry in advance! 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

When I bought my Oliver that interior door was not an option nor did I even think about it.  The things that I store in the basement in that area under the nightstand and over towards the curbside are rarely needed (i.e. extra length of water hose, extra lego blocks, extra electric cord, etc.).  So, after seven years I really don't miss not having that door.

Having said this - a couple of owners that do have that door use it for storing extra shoes.  Fairly expensive for that purpose, but, certainly useful.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have the interior basement access door option.  It’s something we could have eliminated from our build.  It is a fairly small opening.  We don’t use it for anything now.  We tried it for access for putting shoes in the basement for a bit, but as we’ve evolved our camping setup, I use the basement for all the outside hookup items (shore power AC cord, TV coax cable, water hoses, water filters, water pressure regulator, etc) all in milk crates to keep things organized and easy to pull out of the basement through the exterior basement door. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

We store 2 things via the "basement" interior door:  our small electric heater when not in use, and the laundry bag.  When the bag gets relatively full on a long trip, we move it to the truck and get out a new bag.  Perfect spot for that purpose.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

23 minutes ago, Nancy K. said:

We store 2 things via the "basement" interior door:  our small electric heater when not in use, and the laundry bag.  When the bag gets relatively full on a long trip, we move it to the truck and get out a new bag.  Perfect spot for that purpose.

That sounds useful.   It's not a terribly expensive option (in the grand scheme).   What heater do you have?   I read that some people have a Vornado heater that they can plug in when they have power.   Maybe yours just fits the dimensions of that spot,  maybe it goes into a milk crate.   Those crates are popular in that basement it appears. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

What heater do you have?

I've got a small "cube" ceramic heater for when I'm on shore power.

There are a number of owners that have a small Vornado but the ceramic heater is even smaller but is still 1500 watts - more than enough to nicely heat up the Oliver.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

48 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I've got a small "cube" ceramic heater for when I'm on shore power.

There are a number of owners that have a small Vornado but the ceramic heater is even smaller but is still 1500 watts - more than enough to nicely heat up the Oliver.

Bill

Our cube heater has a dial thermostat.....   as you rotate it, there will be a point when it turns from off to on.    Made the mistake of turning a bit too far past that point on the first night we used it.    Woke up at 3 in the morning and it was 85 degrees inside.    Won't make that mistake again.   Those little heaters are awesome to run when hooked up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

11 minutes ago, ScottyGS said:

Our cube heater has a dial thermostat.....   as you rotate it, there will be a point when it turns from off to on.    Made the mistake of turning a bit too far past that point on the first night we used it.    Woke up at 3 in the morning and it was 85 degrees inside.    Won't make that mistake again.   Those little heaters are awesome to run when hooked up.  

I am just trying to get my option list figured out before August.   Are you going with the basement access door? 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I am just trying to get my option list figured out before August.   Are you going with the basement access door? 

Yes.  At $200 it's cheap enough to store small items that you want handy.  Also, the basement is long.  I usually keep an old fire poker and use it to hook the milk crates I use to store stuff.  But, if you had something small that was tough to reach it might save you crawling into the basement.   You have plenty of time to think about it. 50% deposit and final build list is mid July - ish.   Sorry for taking the thread off into the cube heater woods.     

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

We have the interior basement door.  We don't use it very much if at all.  We did open it up when the temps got to the single digits.  I have most of my water,electric, coax , and sewer materials in the basement in 2 of the elongated milk crates.  Also some assorted tools.  If you have a twin bed set up and want the factory Lagun table I don't believe you can have the basement door.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

We have the interior basement door.  We don't use it very much if at all.  We did open it up when the temps got to the single digits.  I have most of my water,electric, coax , and sewer materials in the basement in 2 of the elongated milk crates.  Also some assorted tools.  If you have a twin bed set up and want the factory Lagun table I don't believe you can have the basement door.  

I may go with the Lagun table side mount that someone here makes,  but it seems most people don't use the table much.   Foy makes a nice wooden table top so I may do that in the future. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I may go with the Lagun table side mount that someone here makes,  but it seems most people don't use the table much.   Foy makes a nice wooden table top so I may do that in the future. 

We have the side mount Lagun with a custom top that looks similar to what Foy is making.  Our is made from mahogany from a wooden boat builder.  The table is very useful for us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

We have the side mount Lagun with a custom top that looks similar to what Foy is making.  Our is made from mahogany from a wooden boat builder.  The table is very useful for us. 

That's good to know.   It looks like it would be useful for eating at or playing games. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

11 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

I usually keep an old fire poker and use it to hook the milk crates

We bought one of these collapsible awning hooks to grab things way under the tonneau cover. Works great for that. Figure it'll work in the basement, too. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42544-Reach-Awning-Opener/dp/B003ZDERX0

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We would find the interior basement door pretty useless as anything put in there is going to require getting down on your hands and knees to get out what ever you need. We have three milk crates that we slide in and out from the outside access and this works well for us. I did take a round dowel and put a hook on it to grab the milk crates that are pushed way back up in the garage, works very well. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

41 minutes ago, Trainman said:

We would find the interior basement door pretty useless as anything put in there is going to require getting down on your hands and knees to get out what ever you need. We have three milk crates that we slide in and out from the outside access and this works well for us. I did take a round dowel and put a hook on it to grab the milk crates that are pushed way back up in the garage, works very well. 

trainman

I hadn't thought about the getting down on hands and knees.   One person uses it as a dirty clothes hamper.   That would work as a one way use.   Open the door,  throw clothes into a milk crate.   When it's full,  go outside and pull the crate out. 

spacer.png

I don't have to get on my hands and knees, but I do try to be sure I don't bang the door handle on the floor, don't want it to get scuffed up over time.  This heater is very compact and has worked well for us:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004473UK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

1 hour ago, Nancy K. said:

I don't have to get on my hands and knees, but I do try to be sure I don't bang the door handle on the floor, don't want it to get scuffed up over time.  This heater is very compact and has worked well for us:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004473UK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks good and compact.   It's unavailable at the moment. 

spacer.png

17 hours ago, John Welte said:

Ours came with the Laguna table option.  We only used it part of the time.  Mostly I got tired of setting up the table, and then taking it down multiple times a day (every time I need into get into the nightstand drawer, and every night to go to sleep).  I changed the table to side mount style.  Now I just rotate the table to the side to get into the drawer, or rotate it over the night stand for sleep.  The table never comes down, just raising and lowering the table to where I need it.  So we use the table all the time.   I may go with a custom table top that will  give us a little extra table space.

Now that the table is no longer in the way,  I want to add the door added to access the rear bay.  I want it use it for a clothes hamper.  I use the larger section of the bay for water filter and water hoses.  I do not like reaching all the way back into the bay.  Pulling out a cloths basket/milk crate should be easier.

• Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

We love our basement access door!  We have a dog and two cats accompanying us and they all ride in the back seat of the truck in transit to our next destination - we utilize the basement to hold our chocks and set up equipment but once we are set up we set the empty crates in the truck bed and the basement is where the cat litter box goes - fits perfect, easy to access and clean daily, and the basement door stays open for the cats, only closing it long enough to clean the litter box.  Works great for us and keeps the dog from getting into the mess.  

1ECEAFF4-97C4-44ED-98D5-7CAD8824A58B.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Limited Double Cab.  2021 LE2 #888

• Moderators
3 hours ago, John Welte said:

Looks good and compact.   It's unavailable at the moment. 

If you have your heart set on that particular heater, I'm pretty sure the tan one sold at west marine is the Caframo, under their store label. 

I was in West marine a few days ago for a blower, but likely I'll be there again sometime this month. If there's a heater in stock, I'll turn it over and see if it says "made in Canada" on the label. If so, it would pretty much clinch the Caframo manufacture.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--portable-cabin-heater--7867500?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>Brand%20(LIA)-_-7867500&product_id=7867500&creative=504872101344&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjc2QBhDgARIsAMc3SqQKPpqtlmXoe29Vy-RpmmBwQxBVhxAXZty_pZ6ZGzR6rA6XHrMGDK8aAllLEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

20 hours ago, Steve and Mary said:

We love our basement access door!  We have a dog and two cats accompanying us

Lornie and I also travel frequently with our dog and two cats.  The basement access door is the perfect solution for the litter box.  Oliver should really market the basement access door option to prospective Oliver owners that intend to travel with cats.  Elegant solution to locating the litter box outside of the living space but easily accessible at all times.

• Like 1

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

20 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If you have your heart set on that particular heater, I'm pretty sure the tan one sold at west marine is the Caframo, under their store label. 

I was in West marine a few days ago for a blower, but likely I'll be there again sometime this month. If there's a heater in stock, I'll turn it over and see if it says "made in Canada" on the label. If so, it would pretty much clinch the Caframo manufacture.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--portable-cabin-heater--7867500?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>Brand%20(LIA)-_-7867500&product_id=7867500&creative=504872101344&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjc2QBhDgARIsAMc3SqQKPpqtlmXoe29Vy-RpmmBwQxBVhxAXZty_pZ6ZGzR6rA6XHrMGDK8aAllLEALw_wcB

What considerations do we need to take with a heater and the fiberglass floor and walls?   Do you place it on an insulating surface? 

spacer.png

• Moderators

You need to do nothing more than you would do at home.  No floor insulation needed but (as at home) be careful getting any heater near any combustible material.

I always place my portable heater (either electric or propane) either right inside or right outside the bathroom door.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1