Wonder why Oliver didn’t post this on the Forum?

Townesw

• Moderators

Oliver doesn't often post on the forum. When they do, its usually technical bulletins, rally info, or forum software updates.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Actually, i wouldn't likely trade up. Even for $1. Yes, I'm one of the originals. Hull #12. This week is 14 years.

Mine won't likely/hopefully be available for a very, very long time. If our daughter decides to sell it, after we are permanently 'camped,' it might go on the market. 

Hoping our daughter keeps the legacy boats and our trailer. Her decision.  At that point, hey, up to her.  We'll not be able to speak up, and she'll have to use her judgment. 

We love our little Elite. It's been our summer home (150 days a year) for 14 seasons, and hope for many more. 

My hope for improvement in the new model? Taller head height, so folks taller than us can enjoy what we enjoy. Maybe get the fridge a few inches off the floor. Maybe shed some weight.  Other than that, it's the perfect trailer, imo. Perfect boondocking machine. Seriously.  

When we can't physically camp anymore,  I will still keep it for our daughter. It's been paid for a long time ago, and we're way ahead in the value of memories. My trailer doesn't owe us a dime. We are owing it, imo.

I suspect you may feel the same way.

The trailer is "small." Our experience has been huge. 

• Like 6
  • Love 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

To piggyback off of Seadawg - as a former EII owner - The E I was very appealing, I thought the EII was more than I needed, And the EI would be more to my needs. If I was to guess - improved battery/Solar, better AC, fridge, and perhaps propane/h2O systems.  For me I  would like to see improved Off road capability - better chassis clearance. 

Look forward to the future. Price Up up up...

RB

• Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ScottyGS said:

Wow... You said a mouth full.   

And, I meant every single word.

If you have the time, and we've had a lot, obviously,  in 14 years. This has been the best, for us. 

I hope all of you can experience and enjoy even half of what we have. No matter which trailer you choose.

My husband and I have spent many  hours over the last few difficult years, reflecting.  We've often said we'll never regret any of our traveling.  We'd regret it more, if we had not gone.

Whatever trailer/van/ motorhome/tent/truck camper you decide on, camping is the best way to see our, or any other, country. (We've also camped in many other countries,  in rentals.)

Our Ollie has made it easy to explore much of the USA and Canada, at our pace. It's truly our second home. Small, but comfy. Perfect for us. 

We'll keep on going, till we can't. 

• Like 7
  • Love 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

15 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

And, I meant every single word.

If you have the time, and we've had a lot, obviously,  in 14 years. This has been the best, for us. 

I hope all of you can experience and enjoy even half of what we have. No matter which trailer you choose.

My husband and I have spent many  hours over the last few difficult years, reflecting.  We've often said we'll never regret any of our traveling.  We'd regret it more, if we had not gone.

Whatever trailer/van/ motorhome/tent/truck camper you decide on, camping is the best way to see our, or any other, country. (We've also camped in many other countries,  in rentals.)

Our Ollie has made it easy to explore much of the USA and Canada, at our pace. It's truly our second home. Small, but comfy. Perfect for us. 

We'll keep on going, till we can't. 

Well said, SeaDawg!!!  🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

I really don't see the trailer getting a redesign as far as the outside body change, or to a 4-wheel trailer, the cost would be too expensive to ever recover it over time. Probably the twin bed model would make the most sense, as this option in trailers is probably one of the most popular today. I don't know what the production numbers are on the 19' models, but I would assume that a complete change would not do much to sales.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

Like SeaDawg, I've had my Elite 14 years.  With the exception of the last two years, I've roamed around the USA and Canada 4 to 7 months per year.  It has been, and still is, the perfect fit for myself and my traveling dog, Bosker, the little fellow in my profile pic.  I'm on my second companion dog and my second tow vehicle, but still the original "Wonder Egg" which has rolled over 139,000 miles and allowed me to garner a treasure trove of memories and friends along the way.

I believe Jim Oliver was being modest when his goal was to make a trailer that will "last a lifetime".  With proper care, it will last several . . .

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Legacy Elite when it comes out.  While I can't envision a different trailer for myself, it will be great to see more Ollie owners out there with trailers that will last for generations.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, skalywag said:

On a cost per foot basis, it is the more expensive of the 2 trailers.  I do wonder what changes they are contemplating. As Seadawg stated, we love our LE1 just the way it is.

Agreed. 

Every time someone unfamiliar with an Elite steps into ours, they're amazed at how many creature comforts of home are built into our tiny trailer. We have everything we need, in miniature, and nothing more. It's a complete tiny house on wheels, and  a wonderful hard sided tent, that tracks behind our tow vehicles perfectly. No worries about tires scooting off into the ditch on a narrow mountain road. If the truck can do it, the trailer can, too.

The other comment someone made last summer was, "you two must really love each other a lot, to get along in such a small space, for months at a time." While that's true, it's also true that every camper of any size lives bigger on the outside,  which is where we spend most of our time. The interior can go from cozy to rather cramped, however,  in several days in a row of inclement weather. But, it pretty much heats "with a candle," (or sporadic use of the furnace) in that cozy space. We have learned to respect our tiny bits of space, each, in those days, or we can always move on to better weather. 

As BoB suggested,  more battery capacity would be great. The elite has a smaller battery tray than the II. Going lithium would fix that, I guess.

And, im a bit quirky, I i know, but I'd love to see fewer standard features,  frankly, in a great little boondocking trailer.

We've used the ac only a handful of times, in 14 years, other than running and testing it in the driveway. We removed the microwave after it died from (I  think) lack of use, and I love the additional storage in the microwave cavity. I personally wouldn't care for a power awning, either. Ditto on the fibergranite countertops. Heat duct to the bathroom? Nice, but it's easy to prop the door open at night. Increased solar? For sure. We now have 400 watts fixed in our sidemount configuration. 

If mold changes are in the offing, I'd suggest 8" longer, if the trailer could still work with a single axle. 6" to the bed, to make it a true queen, 2" to the entry.  Wider? Not appealing to me, but maybe to others. A few inches taller, maybe, as interior height in ours is 6'1", in the walkway. Like trainman, I doubt we're really looking at mold changes, as that's ridiculously expensive,  but who knows?

I don't know what changes they're contemplating,  but I'll look forward to seeing them. 

• Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I toured both models and the height was the thing that hit me hardest -- I must stand tall, because I'm only 5'7 but I felt claustrophobic due to the lower ceiling.  If it had the height, I might very well have gone with the LE1. 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

We are having our new OEII delivered tomorrow. When in Hohenwald in and making the decision on which one to get, we agreed the the OE hit all the marks except in height and width. I’m 6’3 so it was no surprise the height was an issue, but we both also felt that the width was confining and that did surprise us. We left feeling that for us, the perfect rig would be the OE if the same height and width of the OEII.

• Like 1

• Moderator+

For any meaningful size changes to be made, the molds will have to be changed. It's the plugs that are expensive. That is the piece that the molds are pulled from. Whether it would require new plugs will determine how much it costs Oliver to make said changes. My prediction is same width and height as the OEII. I've been told several times that it takes longer and is more trouble to build the Elite because of working within the size constraints.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, Ron and Diane said:

We left feeling that for us, the perfect rig would be the OE if the same height and width of the OEII.

I got a feeling they might be planning that for the new Elite.... maybe hits the street in 2023. 

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

13 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I've been told several times that it takes longer and is more trouble to build the Elite because of working within the size constraints.

I heard the same thing from a sales rep. 

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Would love to see it, but will be one squatty looking LE. 😉

I agree.

I love mine, just the way it is. But, I can see a bit wider and a few inches taller for the folks who are taller than me and my husband.  

Way back in the day, there was a talk about new plugs and molds to make the Elite a bit taller and, maybe a bit wider. I'd definitely add at least 6" to the large dinette/bed area, if that were to happen. 

It could improve the sales of the smaller trailer,  I suppose. We're happy to live with those limitations  we have, for the lighter weight,  single axle, etc.

And, hey, for us, why would we  change up, at this point? 24 year old power boat, 44 year old sailboat, 14 year old trailer. We know all the flaws and bonuses, all maintained from new, and can negotiate pretty much everything in the dark. 😏

Next gen, I'll look forward to seeing what they come up with. I'm sure there is room for change and improvements, to appeal to next gen buyers. 

Kind of excited,  actually,  to see the ideas.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4