Attention Ford Super Duty owners

Frank C

If you’re a Ford Super Duty owner (F-250 and F-350, 2017 through 2022), keep an eye out for a recall notice from Ford for a potential driveshaft issue.  But you can still check for yourself to see if anything (loose thermal or noise shield) is contacting the driveshaft on your vehicle.   I’ll be checking mine. 

https://abcn.ws/3IjZ8Am

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Many thanks Frank!  This is important!   After I read your post I crawled under my 2020 F250 and found the insulator had come loose as described in the press release, and was rubbing on the driveshaft.  The insulator is held in place with adhesive patches that apparently failed.   My driveshaft is steel however, not aluminum as described in the news article.   Nevertheless, it’s still a problem.  It’s the shaft up forward, behind the transmission.   I called my dealer and made a service appointment  tomorrow morning.   They advised my truck is NOT listed in the recall, aluminum driveshafts only, but it is covered under warranty.   I also called Ford Customer Service and confirmed, but I asked them to take note that the problem includes steel driveshafts also.   You can see from the pics that the steel heated up enough to cause a slight color change, and I can feel some smooth wear channels that go around the shaft.   I followed Franks advice, and I encourage everyone with a Ford Super Duty 2017-2022 to check it out themselves.

6A3BF3AA-BC74-40B8-9568-067554FBE9FA.jpeg

F864DBC8-4DEF-40A1-A602-F694274F2279.jpeg

13B02EB4-2D2C-437E-8292-CBBA9BB45A26.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

This recall does NOT apply to the 6.7 diesel Super Duty Trucks only the gassers. The diesels have steel drive shafts the gassers have aluminum drive shafts.

Please see the attached.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ford-recalls-heavy-duty-pickups-drive-shafts-fracture-83082755?fbclid=IwAR3DhopMgVVdkJng_mXAOC4ZgmKcz664vyVbiUaN-IbbKLKZGFayqkzccUs

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

This recall does NOT apply to the 6.7 diesel Super Duty Trucks only the gassers. The diesels have steel drive shafts the gassers have aluminum drive shafts.

I failed to mention it in my reply above, but I have a 2020 gasser….with a steel driveshaft.   Only the aluminum shaft models were recalled, but the point of my post was that my vehicle had same problem.   As the article pointed out, F150’s were recalled for same reason some time back.   So if you have an F150, and you were not recalled, I think it’s worth a check.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Thanks Patriot and FrankC.  The heads up you both provided prompted me to check online to see if my truck (2021 F250 gasser) is impacted by this recall and it is so I'm following up with my dealership to have the issue addressed.  If there's anything notable about the actual repair work I'll post it.

• Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

2 hours ago, Southbird401 said:

I checked my axle on my 2021 Ford Super Duty with the 6.7 diesel and saw similar marks on the axle.  I'm driving to Alaska this spring so will follow up with the dealer.  Thanks for the heads up.

The recall is for a driveshaft issue, not the axle, and apparently it’s only an issue on gas engine F-250s with the aluminum driveshaft. 

• Like 1

I checked my truck today and there was a sizeable piece of insulation that had come loose and was rubbing up against the driveshaft.  I read that the Fix from Ford is that they drill holes and re-rivet the insulation.  I wasn't inclined to have holes drilled so I simply cut the insulation in a straight line right behind a section that was still well secured with rivets.  When it's not 16 degrees out, I'll get underneath my truck again and secure the cut edge to the bottom of the bed.  Doubt I will bring it back to my dealer for this unless more of the insulation works its way loose.  New trucks are no longer being made with this insulation.  There is now something installed under the carpeting.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• 5 months later...