Ford Ranger XLT - any owner use this vehicle?

VFI Vacations

Curious if any owner uses a 2019-2021 Ford Ranger 4WD w/Towing Package to tow an Elite II?  It has 7,500 pounds towing capacity and I've used it to tow a 6,000 Gross Weight Trailer before with very positive results.  And, do you all recommend an Anderson WDH if this vehicle has electronic Anti-Sway control built in?  Any experience or comments would be appreciated... Best, John

• Sad 1

• Moderator+

You will be dissatisfied with your towing experience with this vehicle. It’s just not enough truck for an Elite II.  

• Like 9

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 2/25/2022 at 10:33 PM, VFI Vacations said:

Curious if any owner uses a 2019-2021 Ford Ranger 4WD w/Towing Package to tow an Elite II?  It has 7,500 pounds towing capacity and I've used it to tow a 6,000 Gross Weight Trailer before with very positive results.  And, do you all recommend an Anderson WDH if this vehicle has electronic Anti-Sway control built in?  Any experience or comments would be appreciated... Best, John

Not more than once- 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Welcome!   There are several critical towing capacity numbers you need to look at on your Ranger.  You mentioned one of them and that is your towing capacity of 7,500 lbs., but you also need to find out the following info, which you should be able to get from the Ford Towing Guide for the Ranger (link below), and from stickers/labels on your truck.    And the Andersen hitch is both a weight distribution hitch (WDH) and an anti-sway hitch.  

- The tongue weight limits (both with and without a weight distribution hitch).  Look for a label on your hitch receiver on your truck.  See photo below from my F-250 for example.   Tongue weight is typically about 10% of the trailer weight.  

- Payload/cargo capacity limit (this will be on a yellow & white sticker on the door frame of your Ranger.  See photo below from my F-250 for example.  That number has to include your tongue weight, weight of driver and passenger and any luggage, the weight of any bed liner, bed cover or cap that you have, etc   Most people with smaller tow vehicles will exceed the payload limit without realizing it. 

- Frontal area limit.  

- Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).  

Based on the numbers I’ve seen, the Ranger is marginal at best as a tow vehicle for an Elite II with options and equipment loaded up.  

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf

1BB23B36-9153-4C72-8D37-89DABD6B0636.jpeg

19DC4915-F283-4439-ABE7-3A5026F571F9.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, FrankC said:

Welcome!   There are several critical towing capacity numbers you need to look at on your Ranger.  You mentioned one of them and that is your towing capacity of 7,500 lbs., but you also need to find out the following info, which you should be able to get from the Ford Towing Guide for the Ranger (link below), and from stickers/labels on your truck.    

- The tongue weight limits (both with and without a weight distribution hitch).  Look for a label on your hitch receiver on your truck.  See photo below from my F-250 for example.   Tongue weight is typically about 10% of the trailer weight.  

- Payload/cargo capacity limit (this will be on a yellow & white sticker on the door frame of your Ranger.  See photo below from my F-250 for example.  That number has to include your tongue weight, weight of driver and passenger and any luggage, the weight of any bed liner, bed cover or cap that you have, etc   Most people with smaller tow vehicles will exceed the payload limit without realizing it. 

- Frontal area limit.  

- Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).  

Based on the numbers I’ve seen, the Ranger is marginal as a tow vehicle for an Elite II with options and equipment loaded up.  

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf

1BB23B36-9153-4C72-8D37-89DABD6B0636.jpeg

19DC4915-F283-4439-ABE7-3A5026F571F9.jpeg

Using a black marker you can have any ratings you want for towing, just apply the marker ink, hookup your trailer, and go. 

trainman

• Haha 2
  • Wow 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, VFI Vacations said:

And, do you all recommend an Anderson WDH if this vehicle has electronic Anti-Sway control built in?

I'd bet a bunch that a WDH is REQUIRED by Ford for towing anything that has a tongue weight of any Oliver Elite II.  And, given that Ford requires it you risk not only your Ford warranty if you decide to disregard this requirement but you also risk untold liability if you are involved in a mishap regardless of who is at fault.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Do the research.  Understand the terms.  Read the manual.  Do the math.   

This will provide comfort when the terrain, the weather, and darkness all conspire against you... and they will. 

• Like 5

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Data:

Average Elite II Tongue Weight will be > 500 lbs.   And can range from 550-750 typically loaded.
Our Hull 505  at the factory on pickup day with all options and Full Dual 30 Gal Propane was 585 lbs.
As I've used a tongue wt. scale I've found that it's been as high as 750 lbs and typically at about 675 lbs. because we also have a front basket, and dual 30G propane tanks.

The Ford Ranger Receiver bolted into the frame will have a sticker stating two weights it can handle : Weight Distributing, and Weight Carrying:
Here's the example below from our  F150 Hitch:

The Weight Distributing number is the "MAX" you can have as a tongue wt. while using a wt. distributing hitch.
The Weight Carrying number is the "MAX" you can put on the hitch as 'dead weight' while not using a wt. distributing hitch.

435862961_ScreenShot2022-02-26at6_37_36AM.thumb.png.951227c549feff5dea32e3c4572441af.png

As a practical matter, we upgraded from an F150 to an F350....not because of 'Towing Capacity' but because of the Payload Number.
Our F150 had a door jam payload sticker rating of 1557 lbs and a tow rating of 12,700 lbs.

We found after subtracting the Tongue Wt of our trailer we only had about 800lbs payload left for people, tools and cargo in the truck.

The Ranger would be able to tow with a WDH, but the bigger concern may be stopping safely, and towing drivability and safety for you and your passengers.

Hope that data helps you a bit.

C Short
Hull 505 - Galway Girl

• Like 6

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, VFI Vacations said:

You would absolutely need an Andersen.  I doubt that a Ranger could handle the tongue weight without one.  What kind of 6,000 lb trailer did you tow?  Did it have the front surface area of an Oliver?  Your gas mileage will be very poor, what size tank do you have?  I’m assuming you have a brake controller, you will find that stopping and going down hill will be a challenge, especially in the summer when temperatures are up.  What is the payload capacity for your Ranger?  Remember tongue weight, people/pet weight, cargo in the bed and cab, and bed cover/cap all constitute payload.  Emergency maneuvers will be white knuckle, there’s just not enough truck to safely handle the Elite II in a lot of emergency situations.  I towed with a Tacoma for about 5,000 miles, it was enough to cause me to trade in for a half ton with twice the capabilities.  Mike

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you everyone for your input, I do agree the Ranger is too small to pull the E2, so after additional research, and all your input, going to order an F-150 w/2.7 V6 and 3.73 axle ratio w/"Payload Package" (and use a WDH) and with this configuration this will get me up 10k towing capacity (per Ford towing guide).  And with 2,480 lb. payload for the 4-door crew cab (and max 3 passengers with gear, 490 lb. tongue weight + (2) 20lb. propane, and no aluminum box) the math says this should absolutely work.... This is such a great forum here with very helpful information...  Looking forward to more discussion and thanks to all for your time.. Best John

• Like 4

John, consider the bigger Ecoboost, it will give you a lot more reserve power at high altitudes. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

John, consider the bigger Ecoboost, it will give you a lot more reserve power at high altitudes. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

YES!    Get the Larger Ecoboost engine!    You won't be sorry.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

When I explored getting the 2021 Ranger Tremor, which would fit in my short garage, I considered all those normal items regarding weight, etc.  When I got to the fact the the gas tank was 10.x gallons - I stopped. 

Charlie.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

I also tow a Legacy Elite II with an F150 with 3.5 Eco Boost engine, and completely agree with the other comments you should get the 3.5 not the 2.7 L engine otherwise you're stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. You'll be glad you did in the long run. However I do not nor ever have used the WDH for towing and still don't feel its necessary, at least for me, however this is a very personal decision. Good luck.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
On 2/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, routlaw said:

However I do not nor ever have used the WDH for towing and still don't feel its necessary, at least for me, however this is a very personal decision.

1 hour ago, VFI Vacations said:

Yes Routlaw, agree on the 3.5L and agree on no need for WDH, that's my plan as of now. 

Anyone that is considering NOT using a weight distribution hitch with a half ton truck (or less) certainly must be aware that in doing so they are potentially exposing themselves to a fairly sizable amount of liability in the event of an accident regardless of just who may be at fault for that accident.  This is in addition to the manufacturer of the vehicle just may NOT authorize any warranty repairs if the vehicle was used for any towing that exceeds the manufacturers recommendations for either ball weight and/or total weight towed.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Anyone that is considering NOT using a weight distribution hitch with a half ton truck (or less) certainly must be aware that in doing so they are potentially exposing themselves to a fairly sizable amount of liability in the event of an accident regardless of just who may be at fault for that accident. 

Bill

I am a retired attorney.  Among other things during 35 years of practice, I defended many auto accident cases where my firm was retained by insurance companies.  Insurance companies look for any viable reason to avoid paying claims.  This includes failure by their insured (you) to follow safe practices, particularly manufacturers' recommendations. 

The owners manual for my 2019 Tundra, with the 5.7L V8 and the towing package, requires the use of a weight distributing hitch if towing more than 5000 lbs.  I will be amazed if the owners manual for a current model Ford Ranger doesn't include a similar requirement.

I hope you are never involved in an accident towing your Oliver with a Ranger.  But it if happens, even as the result of another driver's negligence, you will be substantially exposed if you don't have a WD hitch.  In that event, $800 spent on an Andersen WD hitch could save you $500K to $1M in uninsured, personal liability when your insurer declines to pay a claim because you failed to follow the requirement in your owner's manual.

I will be using an Andersen WD hitch when towing my Elite II with my Tundra.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

From Ford’s published 2022 towing guide.  The F-150 requires a weight distribution hitch for a trailer weight over 5,000 lbs. and/or a tongue weight over 500 lbs.   You will exceed both of those numbers with an Elite II.   Link attached to the full document.  Anyone towing a trailer should find and read the guide for their tow vehicle to fully understand the limits and risks.   And some hilarious assumptions that the manufacturers use to make their specs look better, like assuming a 150 lb. driver and passenger  😂.  

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

4D7CBD38-FFC6-4D3B-8D7F-0E68F1C20D8D.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

I am a retired attorney.  Among other things during 35 years of practice, I defended many auto accident cases where my firm was retained by insurance companies.  Insurance companies look for any viable reason to avoid paying claims.  This includes failure by their insured (you) to follow safe practices, particularly manufacturers' recommendations......

To be fair... it's easy to over look the importance of using a WDH with a half ton truck and an LE2.  The damn thing tows so well.  In practical application you don't really need the Anderson hitch.   Until you start to look at it from a legal standpoint.  You're not just risking your trailer and TV.. but your house, retirement savings, financial portfolio... etc.    Imagine how life would be if instead of figuring out where the next road trip will be ... you got to spend that time saying...  "Welcome to Wal-Mart".   

Thanks for the free legal advice...    $850 / $1200 is cheap insurance for the Anderson. 

Scotty

• Like 4

Exceeding your towing and tongue weight limits and ignoring the need for a weight distribution hitch is more than just a legal issue.   It has a huge effect on the front tires and their loading/contact patch area.  As the hitch/tongue weight goes up the front tire loading on the tow vehicle goes down, reducing contact patch area and friction, so cornering and braking are affected, along with an increased risk of hydroplaning in rainy conditions.   If it only affected that person towing and ignoring the requirements, I’d be more than happy to just watch the tow fail video on YouTube (and there are plenty of them), but the rest of us share the road too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, agree that I'll add the Anderson WDH, small amount to assure Ford Warranty....  Have a F-150 XLT 3.5 V6 Ecoboost on order, with tow package will give me 11,200 towing capacity, should be good now.... Thanks to all your input...sincerely appreciate it...

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, VFI Vacations said:

Have a F-150 XLT 3.5 V6 Ecoboost on order, with tow package will give me 11,200 towing capacity, should be good now...

Certainly that F-150 will have no issues towing your Ollie.  However, do keep an eye on your payload capacity with it.

Bill

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 6:25 AM, CnC said:

When I explored getting the 2021 Ranger Tremor, which would fit in my short garage, I considered all those normal items regarding weight, etc.  When I got to the fact the the gas tank was 10.x gallons - I stopped. 

For towing an LE2 with an F-150 3.5 EB, I and others here get the 36 gallon tank, and FX4.  For mine, the Heavy Duty Payload was not offered.  In our case we absolutely use the first options every trip.  For our use, the HDP package would have been nice.  But not REQUIRED (for us) as the first two.  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderator+
On 3/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, topgun2 said:

Anyone that is considering NOT using a weight distribution hitch with a half ton truck (or less) certainly must be aware that in doing so they are potentially exposing themselves to a fairly sizable amount of liability in the event of an accident regardless of just who may be at fault for that accident.  This is in addition to the manufacturer of the vehicle just may NOT authorize any warranty repairs if the vehicle was used for any towing that exceeds the manufacturers recommendations for either ball weight and/or total weight towed.

Bill

This is VERY good advice. Disregard it at your own peril. If the poop hits the ventilator, you may hear the judge say, "You got any dreams, boy? Well, we want those too."

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg