Ford Ranger XLT - any owner use this vehicle?

VFI Vacations

I tow with 2021 F150 with 3.5EB with max tow.   I have a tongue weight scale and last time I weighted it was 515lbs.  I travel lite and have no front storage tray but do have 30lbs propane tanks.  I use WDH per manufacturer requirements and it tows beautifully.    

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

On 3/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, Frank C said:

From Ford’s published 2022 towing guide.  The F-150 requires a weight distribution hitch for a trailer weight over 5,000 lbs. and/or a tongue weight over 500 lbs.   You will exceed both of those numbers with an Elite II.   Link attached to the full document.  Anyone towing a trailer should find and read the guide for their tow vehicle to fully understand the limits and risks.   And some hilarious assumptions that the manufacturers use to make their specs look better, like assuming a 150 lb. driver and passenger  😂.  

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

4D7CBD38-FFC6-4D3B-8D7F-0E68F1C20D8D.png

The chart above is for towing from a hitch attached to a ball on  your rear bumper, which is much less than capacity with a proper hitch.  My '22 150 is rated to 11,500lbs.

I tow my E2 with a 2022 Ford F150.  Previously had a Colorado and did about 7500 miles of towing the Oliver with it.  Worked but had almost no payload capacity and always felt it was very much on the edge so was a bit of a white knuckle, always on-guard experience.  Switched top the 150 which gets better MPG both while towing and in general.  MUCH better feel and plenty of payload capacity with the package I got.  I experimented with the Anderson by de-tensioning the chains and the difference was immediately obvious.  Aside from the legal issues and manufacturer guidelines, I am sure you can tow without a WD system but, in my case, if I wanted to live on the edge, I would have stuck it out with the Colorado.  When the Anderson is used properly, the difference is amazing.  Have used the Ford for about 8,000 miles of towing now, sometimes in mountainous terrain and on snow.  Have been super happy with it.  Brining it into the rockies this winter and have no doubt that it will do fine.

My suggestion is that if you are looking for an experience where you would not know you are pulling the trailer, buy a Freightliner.  If you'll use your Tow vehicle as a daily driver, get a "half ton" with appropriate tow packages and you'll be a happy camper.

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

42 minutes ago, GAP said:

The chart above is for towing from a hitch attached to a ball on  your rear bumper, which is much less than capacity with a proper hitch.  My '22 150 is rated to 11,500lbs.

See the headers on the chart for each type.  The chart covers step bumper mount for the three vehicles listed on the upper part of the list. The lower section is for hitch receivers, but you still have to refer back to the specific section in the full guide for each vehicle for towing details/limits based on engine, cab size, bed length, etc. 

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

EB3C7160-5CA3-4E7C-B04C-C075DA08E480.jpeg

• Thanks 1