My FIRST OLIVER UPGRADE

We have two Blue Heelers.  The youngest just turned one year old.  To protect the door screen from an energetic Blue Heeler, we installed a screen door protection.

Lowe's cost was $12.31 from the $13.68 price with a Military Service Discount.  The sheet measured 12 inches x 24 inches and at least 3 inches will be trimmed.  You can have it fit loose or arch out a little by just 1/8 inch more trimmed. 

Just under 3 inches was trimmed off to fit the lower door screen area.  If you cut it a little long, this Screen will arch outward.  I liked that in the event this is pushed, it will not contact the screen.  This does not inhibit air coming in or out.  There already is a groove on the inside of the screen door that the cut Screen, with a bit of arching, fits snug.  You will easily see it.  Oliver may sell a protective Screen that is pre cut.  I do not know.

The Sheet has a pattern and stainless steel. There are also aluminum Sheet Patterns that are nicer, but cost more and not as easy to use a sheet metal clipper to trim.  We can always remove it at will if this one does not work out.  The project took less than 10 minutes.

DSCN0382.jpg

• Like 2

I have seen another Oliver owner's trailer where they added the same protection mesh, although I seem to remember their protection grid filled the entire lower section of the door. The protection mesh worked for them, so it will likely work for you as well.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Our Pup Blue Heeler picked up NW of Albuquerque, New Mexico last Summer.  We were Boondocking in New Mexico and knew about some Blue Heeler pups, old enough to look at.  We were collecting Chalcedony Agates in New Mexico and the timing was perfect.

She, Cody, now can enter and exit, both, the Oliver and the Airstream.  Our first Boondocking Trip will be with the Oliver.  The Airstream already had the protection for the bottom and upper screens.  

Our next photo... will be with the Oliver.  Yep... we are loading all of the permanent items that stay in the Oliver.  

Mike and Carol... took a look and a screen door handle will help closing the screen door when camped.  Have some hardware in the garage to check out.  Just getting the 'little things' take care of when convenient.  

DSCN0195.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

One of the "issues" with the Camco door handles ( like THIS one ) is that people/guests that are not familiar with how light weight the construction of the screen door is tend to want to place too much weight on that handle versus using the ones built into the Oliver.

Of course, the Camco handle gives you much more room to grab it in the event a sudden wind gust catches the door.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Mike and Carol's handle will work for us.  Airstream has had the handle since 2006, my first. Chrome. When the door is latched open, the handle is better than grabbing in the open area to pull shut.  

White for the Oliver. Next time in town, getting Upgrade #2.  

More photos of Your Upgrades... The small changes are what make our Olivers... Home Sweet Home on the road.  🙂

• Moderators

While you’re in town, door magnets are great for keeping the bathroom door open.  We keep it open when not in use so that it stays warm in winter and cooler in summer.  These pictures are of my original install.  I used On Command tape for both sides.   I have since moved the magnet on the side of the dinette seat inside.  Now you can’t see it and there is still plenty of holding power (thanks to @Spike).  Mike

154F7FA3-76F8-419F-AA0F-B573321EAF87.jpeg

FB8A1700-D98C-4854-94A5-97484A34A66B.jpeg

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Spent $1.87 at Lowes for a Nickel 'Ethan Pull' and installed it above the black standard handle and slide... drilling through the white frame. Two holes, 3 inches apart and the screws go through from the back side.  About 8 minutes, after getting the drill bit selected, holes level and done.  Now we have A CUSTOM OLIVER... and the $1.87 and my $0 Labor will make it so much desirable from all of the others, except Mike and Carols Custom Oliver.

Your magnet is also a good idea. Where did you find that?  Now you have a Custom Custom Oliver. Nut and Bolt or adhesive?

Other Oliver Owner's must have come up with some great simple ideas.  The previous owner of our Oliver has some of these self vacuum hangers in good spots.  If those are 'custom'... ding ding ding... Custom, Custom Oliver.  🙂

I was pleased to discover the screen door has an Aluminum Frame and not plastic.

• Like 2

I added the bathroom door magnet catch, same as Mike and Carol.   I also added a stainless cable tether to hold the access port on the propane tank cover do it doesn’t get lost.  Some owners have lost the port cover by setting it on top of the tank cover and then forgetting to replace it, and then driving off.  And a 7 pin plug holder from etrailer to keep rain out of the plug.   A lot of trailer owners have commented about their trailer exterior running lights mysteriously being on when parked at a campground or in storage, and it’s because of water shorting out the 12v hot and ground with the wire for the running lights in the plug if the plug isn’t covered, draining the battery.  All cheap upgrades but very useful.  

219B4179-C124-4414-80DC-5E661B3C7E86.jpeg

EEF91078-8607-4931-BE5B-7C8621B0FD0F.jpeg

E72A855E-2168-4F52-8D98-F309EC3DE57A.jpeg

038FF093-7510-4ECE-A9A1-FA1D06861220.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BoondockingAirstream said:

Your magnet is also a good idea. Where did you find that?  Now you have a Custom Custom Oliver. Nut and Bolt or adhesive?

If I remember I ordered the door magnet from Amazon.  It’s been a few years.  We stuck both magnets on with On Command double sided tape.  It’s been secure for 4 or 5 years not.  We don’t even realize it’s there, just part of our custom Oliver!  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, FrankC said:

And a 7 pin plug holder from etrailer to keep rain out of the plug.   A lot of trailer owners have commented about their trailer exterior running lights mysteriously being on when parked at a campground or in storage, and it’s because of water shorting out the 12v hot and ground with the wire for the running lights in the plug if the plug isn’t covered, draining the battery.  All cheap upgrades but very useful.  

We did the same, but strapped our cable holder onto the front jack post with zip ties.  When I put the jack cover on it covers the 7 pin plug and holder to keep it dry.  Cheap mod to keep water out of the plug.  Mike

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

We did the same, but strapped our cable holder onto the front jack post with zip ties.  When I put the jack cover on it covers the 7 pin plug and holder to keep it dry.  Cheap mod to keep water out of the plug.  Mike

My 7 pin cable isn’t quite long enough to reach back to the jack post.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Since we’re talking about simple mods, here’s one that I learned about from Ken @mountainoliver and was in my Camping for Dummies presentation at an Oliver rally 3 or 4 years ago.  It’s just a 4X4 vinyl fence post cut to make a shelf for shoes under the bed.  It goes on with 4 or 5 strips of the large On Command double sided tape.  It provides a handy place to store shoes under the bed keeping the floor clear.  We use these all the time for shoe storage.

4A45E0F8-1BC1-4FBF-A7CC-48A3A03841F4.jpeg

C13C4900-0A1E-4752-937B-C0F385E721C0.jpeg

• Like 9

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gofigure1149 said:

Hi Mike and Carol. Can you tell me what you used to cut the 4 x 4 vinyl post so neatly. Thanks.

Dan

I used my table saw.  Set the fence like I was ripping a board.  Mike

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you go to Ollie Modifications under the main Forums tab in the blue banner at the top of the page, you will find all kinds of modifications that owners have done to their Olivers over the years.  Some of these mods are inexpensive and simple while others are involved and can be expensive.

Also, if you attend the annual Owner's Rally there are multiple chances to view some really interesting Olivers.  There's even one where the interior décor gets changed numerous times a year (Foy & Mirna).

Make it your own!

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"