Diamondback tonneau covers

Steph and Dud B

I have one and I love it.  Makes the truck bed like a vault.  If I have to haul something large I can remove the whole thing in about 5 minutes.  I'm currently working out a plan to install a mount for a removable solar panel on the back panel to charge a battery in the truck bed to power my iceco fridge/freezer.  Only con is the price...

IMG_1099.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

I also have the diamondback tonneau cover for my F250 and like it.  It is well made and came with good installation instructions.  As JPS mentioned, it makes the contents of the bed pretty secure.  It is, however, expensive compared to most other tonneau covers.  I also ordered the Front Runner rack system for it but have yet to install it.  I got the smooth black finish to make installation of the rack system a bit easier.

I wanted something strong enough to carry 2 (heavy) fishing kayaks on it which also influenced my decision.  Their customer service is also quite good. 

Good luck!

• Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

Ordered a Diamond HD for my 2022 250 Tremor last week.   It will be sitting in the barn waiting for the Tremor to show up in the next few months (I hope).  After much research I thought it was the best for the money.  The Renegrade bed cover is great but even more pricey and if you live on the east coast there is a $450 shipping charge.  If you live near Utah they will install for free.  Diamondback ships for free!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

• Moderators

The Diamondback looks very sturdy.  I have been generally pleased with the Bakflip covers I had on my half tons.  This one on my 2500 is a bit leaky and with the extra section can be difficult to open all the way.  

For those with the Diamondback, is accessing bed contents easy?  The middle section that doesn’t move doesn’t block access at all?  I could probably sell my bakflip for something to mitigate the cost of an upgrade.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

10 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

For those with the Diamondback, is accessing bed contents easy?  The middle section that doesn’t move doesn’t block access at all?

Sometimes the fixed middle section gets in my way, not often.   It’s sturdy, it is essentially another level to put cargo on, stand on,  etc.  The front and rear lids come off fairly easily.  So, for example, if I load my pressure washer in there, which is too tall, I can just remove the rear lid and set it in the garage.   If I carry my dual sport motorcycle,  I take the entire cover off, takes about 15-20 minutes I’d guess, not rushing.  Mine doesn’t leak, but I think that’s partly luck, because none of these things are waterproof.   All things considered,  I like it, but I don’t think it’s  worth selling your Backflip and buying one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mike D. said:

All things considered,  I like it, but I don’t think it’s  worth selling your Backflip and buying one. 

Good to know.  It’s not a priority right now but nice to have solid options if needed!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I have an F250 and am using an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 cover which I really like. However, some time after I bought it, I noticed that there is no key slot in the F250 tailgate. The lock is electric (I do not have the power tailgate). The Extang can only be opened by first opening the tailgate. I am considering replacing the Extang with a Diamondback SE because I can open it from outside. This will allay my fear that I won't be able to get into the bed should the tailgate lock actuator fail. Also, the Diamondback will give me cab-side bed access which I don't have with the Extang.

I'm also wondering how the black Diamondback is in the sun. Does cargo get excessively heated?

• Like 1

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

18 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

I'm also wondering how the black Diamondback is in the sun. Does cargo get excessively heated?

I had a black DB on previous TV, and now I have the polished aluminum on my current TV.   The black looked better (to me), but was hot!   I live in SW Florida and it was way too hot to touch for a good part of the year.  That translates to a surface temp of  ~140F or higher, which makes the cargo space hot.  The polished version is several hundred $ less expensive and significantly cooler. 

• Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

8 hours ago, Mike D. said:

I had a black DB on previous TV, and now I have the polished aluminum on my current TV.   The black looked better (to me), but was hot!   I live in SW Florida and it was way too hot to touch for a good part of the year.  That translates to a surface temp of  ~140F or higher, which makes the cargo space hot.  The polished version is several hundred $ less expensive and significantly cooler. 

Thanks Mike. The Extang is polymer skin with a polypropylene core. It is black but well insulated, whereas the DB is not insulated. This is a good argument (besides the price) for a polished aluminum cover. Besides, if I change my mind I can always have it Line-X'd. 😉

Do you have any problems with reflections, e.g., sun reflected into the cab?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've got the diamond back 270 on my F250. I really like the three water tight lids. also the bolt type locks are good. So far bone dry even going through the car wash.

I can stand on it and carry cargo on top of it. Pricy but you wont be disappointed. 

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite ll  Twin Bed   2019 F250 6.7 Diesel

I chose the SE version in rough black. Installation was a bit difficult, but straightforward. The panels weigh 35 lbs, but because of my height, removing and installing requires a second person (I can't see the hinges).

The following morning, I noticed that there appeared to be a gap in the newly designed hinges on the tailgate panel. So I opened the lid and gave it an easy test push. The panel came right off the hinges while still attached to the shocks. The panel fell crookedly and warped.

I called, and DB was very responsive, offering to replace the entire cover or to send new hinges if I would prefer to try that. He said that the cover could easily be straightened by me. So I gave that a try and also sent back the failed hinges for evaluation. All went as he said it would, and the cover is still in place with good hinges. A thoroughly inspection after the straightening showed no damage to any welds or support structure, nor any flex marks in the cover, i.e., it appears undamaged and brand new. For my trouble, DB gave me a substantial discount off of my purchase price.

It's great to be able to walk on it as it makes cleaning my truck easier. Regarding utility, I can now access the front of the bed without having to climb into it. I carry a 20lbs propane tank for our CampChef stove, and this allows me to store it all the way forward in the bed and to lift it out by only opening the cab side cover (no ladder required even though this is an F250 with 20" wheels).

The locks are Medeco with restricted keys. They will not be easy to pick.

It also looks really cool.

Speaking of cool, thus far I have not noticed the surface temperature to be too hot.

The downside: No matter how you cover it, you're still packing a truck bed. The more you carry, the more shuffling you will have to do to get at the thing you want. Accessibility of the DB does help make this easier (when the middle section doesn't interfere).

We are at the rally on site F62.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a  new 2021 GMC 2500 HD 14 months back.  At the same time I also purchased a Diamondback HD aluminum top for a 8 foot bed. With a 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood base I put ( 4 ) 27 gallon tubs with rope to each of them leading to the gate. For use just pull the rope of what you want. On the con side a 2300 generators clearance is tight. The Diamondback HD can hold 1600 lbs and in my opinion the finest aluminum top available in the market. 

• Like 2

I did something similar for dump days. 45-gallon Sterilite totes from Walmart fit perfectly inside. These totes have wheels on one end and I use my collapsible awning hook to pull them to the tailgate for unloading the trash at the transfer station.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

I really like my Diamondback.  I have all of the tie down points, which makes it convenient for hauling oversized items on top, knowing they won't budge at all.  It did leak underneath the fat rubber seals initially.  That was easily remedied by adjusting the height of the hold down rod brackets.  It is an impressive, yet expensive looking piece of equipment for my F150.

ALSO . . . after bonding all panels together and bonding the center piece to the truck bed, which is bonded to the entirety of the truck with 15 large brass ground straps,  it provides a magnificent ground plane for my ham radio antennas.  I've talked all over the world with the ATAS 120A on the left!  

Standing Tall.jpg

• Like 5

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Well, can't say I'm super impressed with our Diamondback truck cover. The first downpour we had I looked in my truck bed and saw two very fast drips coming in. Later I took a hose to the cover and found that water leaked in at all four corners where the two lids attach to the center panel. With flooding water from the hose they weren't drips, they were streams. Online searching told me this wasn't an isolated problem, either. In the end, it comes down to poor engineering and sloppy manufacturing.

The design relies on various pieces of weatherstripping coming together at an angle when the lids are closed. On ours, the weatherstripping was cut too short at the factory. The water coming off the cover would sit on top of the truck bed rails and drain in through the gaps. 😤

From what I read online, replacing the weatherstripping - and attaching it at the exact right points - is a bear of a project. After a few days of messing around with some extra bits of weatherstripping I've got it down to only a drip under flooding water from the hose now. I think that's the best I'll ever get. Pretty disappointing for such an expensive piece of gear.

On the positive side, the cover meets its other tasks well: locked security for the bed and cargo carrying capacity on top, so I guess it's OK. Diamondback SE score:

Water resistance: 7

Security: 9

Cargo carrying: 10

• Sad 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I owned a DiamondBack for several years on my Dodge and was fairly satisfied with it.  Fairly watertight.  Unlike my Bakflip which leaks like a sieve.

Downside with the DiamondBack is the center panel.  It prevents large items being put into the bed unless you unclamp and remove the whole thing which is somewhat cumbersome and time consuming.  Also, a lot of "stuff" on the underside which gets in the way of loads.

The ultimate hard lid is the Renegade.  When I finally get rid of my BakFlip (which came from the factory on my truck), that's what I'm going to put on it.  Expensive!

• Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

4 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Well, can't say I'm super impressed with our Diamondback truck cover. The first downpour we had I looked in my truck bed and saw two very fast drips coming in. Later I took a hose to the cover and found that water leaked in at all four corners where the two lids attach to the center panel. With flooding water from the hose they weren't drips, they were streams. Online searching told me this wasn't an isolated problem, either. In the end, it comes down to poor engineering and sloppy manufacturing.

The design relies on various pieces of weatherstripping coming together at an angle when the lids are closed. On ours, the weatherstripping was cut too short at the factory. The water coming off the cover would sit on top of the truck bed rails and drain in through the gaps. 😤

From what I read online, replacing the weatherstripping - and attaching it at the exact right points - is a bear of a project. After a few days of messing around with some extra bits of weatherstripping I've got it down to only a drip under flooding water from the hose now. I think that's the best I'll ever get. Pretty disappointing for such an expensive piece of gear.

On the positive side, the cover meets its other tasks well: locked security for the bed and cargo carrying capacity on top, so I guess it's OK. Diamondback SE score:

Water resistance: 7

Security: 9

Cargo carrying: 10

Definitely recommend reaching out to Diamondback to let them know of your issues.  They are known for their exemplary customer service.  I would be very surprised if they didn't try to make things right for you. 

• Like 4

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• 2 months later...

Just a quick report... I have had no issues with my Diamondback SE leaking. Even after severe downpours both while parked and while driving the bed remained dry. 

Functionally, the DB suits our camping style very well. I can now access everything in our bed while camping without having to climb into it. Because I have an F250 and am about 5'9", I sometimes have to use a portable foldable 8" step to reach things. Our 9'x12' ground mat, Clam screen house, and other things are stored all the way forward to the bulkhead and in the center (side-to-side) of the bed, and I can still get them out and repack them from the ground. On our latest 5-week long trip, I have not had to climb into the bed, and in our previous 5-week trip I only had to climb in one time. The latter was probably because the DB was new to me and I was just getting used to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

I have only had my DB HD for about a month and out on one camping trip.  So far no problems, no leaks, no issues at all.  I like the security and the ability to keep the cab free of gear.  Access seems to be good.  Our GMC has steps on the side at the front of the bed so the wife can easily grab anything she needs from the forward bed.   Pretty easy install and easy to remove if necessary.  After only one month, I'm satisfied with it.

Tim and Christie

2023 GMC 2500 6.6 Diesel

2022 LEII #1283

US States Map.jpg

On 6/6/2022 at 11:03 AM, Steph and Dud B said:

Diamondback installed, with the Front Runner racks and Yakima bike racks. Just about ready for our delivery date now.

PXL_20220605_225323253.jpg

Nice setup! What model Front Runner rack are you using? I’ve never installed a rack like that. I’m guessing that you drilled holes in your Diamondback and bolted the rack to the diamondback?

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA