Diamondback tonneau covers

Steph and Dud B

9 minutes ago, Paul and Santina said:

I’m guessing that you drilled holes in your Diamondback and bolted the rack to the diamondback?

It's the Front Runner setup offered on the Diamondback site and, yes, we had to drill the cover to bolt the rack tracks on. A little tricky to get it just right.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• 1 month later...

More feedback on our Diamondback. It has issues in freezing weather. We had rain followed by a hard freeze. Afterwards, I couldn't open my Diamondback for 2 reasons: 

• The large rubber gaskets froze to the bed rails and tailgate. I was able to open the tailgate my manipulating the rear gasket, but raising either half of the cover was out of the question. 
  • The keyholes do not have weather covers. Moisture gets into the cylinders and freezes solid. I couldn't even insert my key. They will certainly fill with snow and ice after every storm. Careful use of a small torch temporarily solved my problem but they'll freeze again tonight. Ordered some spray-in lock deicer. Hope that stuff works. 

My Diamondback ratings:

• Security: A
  • Load carrying: A
  • Appearance: A
  • Water resistance: B
  • Winter performance: C
  • Thanks 1

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

keyholes do not have weather covers. Moisture gets into the cylinders and freezes solid. I couldn't even insert my key. They will certainly fill with snow and ice after every storm. Careful use of a small torch temporarily solved my problem but they'll freeze again tonight. Ordered some spray-in lock deicer. Hope that stuff works. 

I'm very surprised to hear that. 

I  think you should send an email. That's unacceptable,  imo.

Ps spray de-icer really did work, when I lived in Minnesota.  Magic. But, we used it on vehicle door locks. A lock on the flat lid should have a cover. (That could freeze, too, but....)

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

15 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I  think you should send an email.

I did a review on their site. Other reviewers have complained about the same thing.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I did a review on their site. Other reviewers have complained about the same thing.

Little things do matter.

Especially in winter .

One of my friends had a frozen lock on his Vette in Chicago.  He used a hair dryer. Ouch. Warped the fiberglass. Not a great idea.....

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm very surprised to hear that. 

I  think you should send an email. That's unacceptable,  imo.

Ps spray de-icer really did work, when I lived in Minnesota.  Magic. But, we used it on vehicle door locks. A lock on the flat lid should have a cover. (That could freeze, too, but....)

The locks on the Diamondback cover are on a vertical surface, just like your door locks (see my picture earlier in the thread).  They are attached to a handle that swivels 90 degrees to open the cover.  I would think the hardest thing with this severe deep freeze would be the along the lengths between the bottom of generous rubber seal and the actual aluminum top.  Best to open the tailgate and fish things out from within the best you can until conditions improve.

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bugeyedriver said:

The locks on the Diamondback cover are on a vertical surface, just like your door locks (see my picture earlier in the thread).  They are attached to a handle that swivels 90 degrees to open the cover.  I would think the hardest thing with this severe deep freeze would be the along the lengths between the bottom of generous rubber seal and the actual aluminum top.  Best to open the tailgate and fish things out from within the best you can until conditions improve.

That's good to know. On our undercover  the locks  are in the lid, with a cover,  which could also freeze. Even on the side.

Carrying a can of spray was important,  when I lived in the Midwest tundra.

Also carried weight in the trunk or truck  bed. Snow shovel, plus sand.

Weather reporting is better now. I stay home, with bad weather conditions. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 12/26/2022 at 5:37 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

The large rubber gaskets froze to the bed rails and tailgate.

I’ve had my Diamondback SE cover for 2.5 years, very satisfied with it.  I live in Florida however, so not exposed to severe rain/freeze  unless we are traveling and camping in those conditions, which we have done only a few times.  The Diamondback manual recommends  “Treat your weatherstrip with a petroleum jelly or silicone-based lubricant” to keep the weatherstrip from freezing closed.   The vertical locks are stainless steel with a protective shield over the keyhole, just like the type on many of our cars and trucks.   Diamondback warranties the cover, the weatherstripping, and the locks for life.   If you give them a call,  I’ll bet they will make it right, just like Oliver usually does.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

10 hours ago, Hokieman said:

The vertical locks are stainless steel with a protective shield over the keyhole

Not mine. Purchased last summer.

4 hours ago, Hokieman said:

Perhaps I didn’t describe it clearly.   Here is a pic of mine.

Yep, mine aren't like that. Just an open slot, no little door like yours. How old is yours?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

How old is yours?

The cover I have now is about 2.5 years old.  I had another DB cover prior to that on my previous truck.   It had the same locks on it.   Let us know if they send you new ones. 

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Mine from a year ago has a car door lock style cover of their the locks and work great in the cold/snow. Maybe they had a supplier constraint that forced them to a different style.  Pick below from the db website might be the new design…75A45E35-7362-4AFD-BCE5-FF2794FF6C7F.thumb.jpeg.3ba29b56ae3597612573adf8a3f71cd3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1