Backup camera/rear view camera

John Welte

Hi all,  I searched the previous posts to see if there were any posts about the backup camera.   I assumed that there would be some.   Maybe I don't know the right way to search even though I put in "backup camera" in the search bar.   Are you all pleased with the backup camera?   I hope the one that is an OTT option can be used to give a rear view also when towing the trailer.  Ideally,  the monitor would mount over the truck's mirror or be somewhere easy to view while driving.   If it does go over the truck mirror,  then when driving there's no adjusting the vision to see the rear view.  Thanks. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We have the rear camera and find it very useful.   We use it when on the road while towing to see what’s going on behind the trailer, and also use it for backing up/backing into campsites. The monitor has a suction cup mount that attaches to the inside of the windshield in your preferred location. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

We have it and it's been OK so far. I like the rear view camera we had installed on our camper van more - it gives a much better view at night and has better resolution, but the one that Oliver installs is adequate.

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

We also have the rear view camera, however the factory installed one was stolen out of our truck a few years ago so I installed a different brand. Truthfully I really didn't like the factory installed one anyway, too gangly with all the wires and monitor was terrible. I installed a Fusion which was marginally better with the monitor and more importantly with a significantly smaller footprint. If I had it to do again would have bought another brand. Maybe Oliver has also changed the brand of rear view cameras by now compared to the original we had. They are very useful however, and wouldn't want to be without one.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

30 minutes ago, routlaw said:

We also have the rear view camera, however the factory installed one was stolen out of our truck a few years ago so I installed a different brand. Truthfully I really didn't like the factory installed one anyway, too gangly with all the wires and monitor was terrible. I installed a Fusion which was marginally better with the monitor and more importantly with a significantly smaller footprint. If I had it to do again would have bought another brand. Maybe Oliver has also changed the brand of rear view cameras by now compared to the original we had. They are very useful however, and wouldn't want to be without one.

"Maybe Oliver has also changed the brand of rear view cameras by now compared to the original we had. They are very useful however, and wouldn't want to be without one."

Anyone know if Oliver changed brands.   We get our trailer in eight months.   I would think they would want the best possible camera.   There's nothing worse than a poor quality camera.   I want the display to be as good as a rear view mirror if that's possible. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 minute ago, John Welte said:

I want the display to be as good as a rear view mirror if that's possible. 

I agree - within reason.  For most purposes you are not trying to read a license plate or bumper sticker.  However, you are trying to see that person tailgating you or the little kid behind you or that rock or tree as you back into a space.

Both of the rearview cameras I have on the back of my Ollie do not have the best resolution.  One is a Garmin that works with my Garmin 890 GPS mounted on the top of the Ollie and the other is a no-name brand that sends its signal via WiFi to my tablet, computer and/or cell phone.  The biggest difference (other than resolution) between the Oliver camera and mine is the price.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have the factory camera.  I use it primarily as a rear view mirror during daylight hours.  It is too bright at night for me.  The resolution is not the best.  I have it placed in the lower left hand corner of the windshield.  I use it to also see my wife's hand instructions while backing up.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

We have the factory camera.  I use it primarily as a rear view mirror during daylight hours.  It is too bright at night for me.  The resolution is not the best.  I have it placed in the lower left hand corner of the windshield.  I use it to also see my wife's hand instructions while backing up.  

What year is your Ollie? 

spacer.png

Just finished our initial three day trip from the factory to Dallas with Hull 1030. Have to say that the backup camera is the only system that I am truly disappointed with. Admittedly, we had no decent sunlight the entire trip and it was cloudy each time I tried to use it, but the video is blurry and its hard to really pick us even the hand signals my wife is giving behind the trailer. The best value is the audio, I can hear her better than I can see her.

I am happy I got it because the wiring is in place with the switch and the run up to the back of the camper. Will likely seek out a clearer improved camera in the near future.

Understandably the bandwidth available for sending video is not great on the frequency the manufacturer of the camera is using. However, we live in a world where you can do HD on low bandwidth WiFi so I know there must be a better alternative.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

• Moderators
15 hours ago, John Welte said:

Maybe I don't know the right way to search even though I put in "backup camera" in the search bar.

Try either of these search methods.

Mossey

C8831F11-7E73-45DD-838C-0A51FC789DAC.thumb.jpeg.e703a7fe62ca5ed2e7fb9f9000c269c8.jpeg5178799A-9EA9-4F6F-A599-C8164B77714D.thumb.jpeg.bccdaa52e09f82cab2dba48bf55783aa.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

In looking back at my search I didn't put it in quotes.   I just typed backup camera in the search field.   I think the quotes are important.   I am new to the planet and have a lot to learn.   Thanks for your patience.   You're all very helpful. 

• Like 2

spacer.png