JUGFEST 2010 !

mountainborn

• Moderators

Throw off the bonds of Winter and celebrate Spring with friends and family at Lake Greeson Arkansas !

With almost no planning or agenda we meet to jug fish, and enjoy the wonderful Arkansas Spring time awakening, as we fellowship around the campfire.

Come earlier, or later, for all or part of it, but ya' just gotta' come !

This year's "core" dates are April 28th to May 5th. Which coincides with the bait fish spawn.

>

Since we are all in this togather, let's all have some input on this year's gathering.

Seems as though we usually have a couple of big fish fry's each week, with an occasional fish fry thrown in, as popular demand is met. Hence one on going expence is the costs associated with frying fish. Other meals are kind of pot luck with everyone meeting around the campfire ( or on the FRS radio ch. 7 ) and contributing what they have to offer.

I am starting a list of things that you might want to consider volunteering towards the fish fry's, and will post it soon.

I havn't heard how the corps of Engineers is going to enforce the 14 day stay limit this year, as they are going through some changes now. So, we may have to play that by ear as we go. I know that Betty and I would like to arrive about the 8th od April, and stay through May 5th, which would put us way over the 14 day thing.

Others that will travel on to Texas or the Blue Bonnet may want to adjust their schedules to spend some time eating fish by the campfire while enroute to or from their scheduled event.

So, how about it , tell us what you think about this year's Jugfest !

REMEMBER PLEASE, THAT THIS GATHERING ISN'T ABOUT WHAT YOU CAMP IN, BUT INSTEAD, IS ABOUT ENJOYING FISHING, THE OUTDOORS AND EACH OTHER'S COMPANY.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Photos from years past. How about it you guys ? Let's post some of those great photos and videos you took at Jugfest ! I know that Steve has one video I would like to see.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

APRIL 28th until MAY 5th ( come earlier or stay later )

It’s our annual gathering of friends and family at Kirby Landing Campground, Lake Greeson, Arkansas. Located just off of US Hwy 70 between Daisy and Kirby Arkansas. Which is South West of Hot Springs.

New construction to add sewer and water to some of the camp sights may cause some or all of us to have to relocate from last year’s campsites.

Full Moon ( when the bait fish spawn ) is on the 28th of April

The main focus of the annual gathering is on Jug Fishing with lots of fish fry’s and pot luck meals around the campfire. Domino matches optional.

Since Betty and I live closer than others, we will bring our boat, complete outdoors camp kitchen, lots of firewood and all of the necessary large pots, pans and fish cookers, complete with propane.

Steve & Tali have volunteered to bring 5 gallons of cooking oil for the fish fry’s.

Maybe there are those that could volunteer to bring other items such as:

Cole Slaw Mix

Frozen Hush puppies

Frozen french fries

Paper Plates

Napkins

Plastic silverware

I have probably forgotten something on this list ! Please call Betty at 479.216.2504 if you would like more input on special diets, ect.

Please call me at 479.243.5450 if I can help with questions about jugfest2010.

ALL OF THE SUGGESTED LIST OF VOLUNTEER ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE AT LOCAL STORES SINCE SPACE IS LIMITED IN OUR TRAILERS.

In the past some have chipped in to help with boat gas and we really appreciate that. I guess we could figure that out around the campfire one evening.

This is the first year that we have had this small bit of planning for Jugfest. However, last year, we had enough folks that came and went as their schedules would permit, that hopefully this small bit of organization will facilitate their enjoyment of this years gathering. We hope this kind of loosely organized effort won’t distract from the normally laid back environment.

In the past we have deliberately had no list of attendees, agenda of any sort, scheduled meal times or menus. All daily planning seems to just naturally happen around the campfire the evening before.

In the event of weather, domino matches or plain old fatigue, we usually monitor the FRS radio channel 7, for cool stuff like, “ Hey, Fran, any chance you can bring a few eggs to the campfire this morning ?”

“I am about out of eggs, maybe we could have pancakes ready for when the boat gets back in ?”

Or maybe something like, “ Hey ! You sleepy heads, the boat leaves in ten minutes to go pick up the jugs ! “

We always look forward to meeting first time jugfesters, (oh geeze is that a real word ? Sounds like a oozing sore that has had the scab knocked off ) and hope there are some that have considered it, but haven’t made it yet, that we will get to meet this year.

We will be fishing and if you don’t have a license, they are inexpensive and readily available at local stores. I am so ancient that I have the permanent license, so maybe someone will post current costs ?

There is a thread of conversation at:

It is located in the campfire section if you would like to see photos and read more about how we roll at jugfest.

8-) Being as we bit the bullet and have a bigger rig(are there any height limits?) we'll bring all the bulky stuff, cups, plates and/or anything else you think of. Looking forward to seeing all from last year and hopefully a lot of new faces.

Chuck n Geri n Furkids

• Moderators

8-) Being as we bit the bullet and have a bigger rig(are there any height limits?) we'll bring all the bulky stuff, cups, plates and/or anything else you think of. Looking forward to seeing all from last year and hopefully a lot of new faces.

Chuck n Geri n Furkids

No height limits, so you are good to go ! I saw in the floor plan & pix that your fridge is a Dometic ?

• Moderators

Sunday, March 14, 2010

HOUSLEY

Because of:

A. rising campsite rates

b. rumors that our Senior Pass may be devalued by the Corps of Engineers, at Lake Greeson.

c. Along with construction type growing pains, ( crowding, ect )

We took a look at other options should the majority of the Jugfesters deem a move necessary. This blog entry is somewhat of a report to our fellow jugfesters

Here is the link to the full report:

http://mountainborn.blogspot.com/2010/03/housley.html

>

• Moderators

At this point we have looked at three options. So, I guess my next question to my fellow Jugfesters is, “ what is your pleasure ?

A. Stay at our old Kirby Landing site and pay the higher prices and 14 day limit.

B. Move to Big Fir (4+ miles of dirt road) and share solar and Generator times, so we can stay longer for less cost.

C. Move to Rock Creek (6+ miles of dirt road) and share solar and Generator time, so we can stay longer for less cost.

• Moderator+

Hey Larry, I do like the idea of being able to stay longer and spend less money. It's my understanding that the fees at Kirby have increased to $18.00 per night. Well, that's $126.00 for a weeks worth of camping. Not insurmountable, but still a good bit of money that could be spent toward something else. My opinion is that this whole thing is about friends getting together and having a good time, eating some good food and creating some memories to last the rest of our lives. The obvious downside is the lack of electricity and water, but most of you guys have spent some time "off the grid." This would give some of us that haven't done as much a to try it with friends nearby to bail us out if we find we're not doing it right. I think this is a good option. But, that being said, it's just that--an option. If everyone had rather camp near the juice, then the will of the Jugfesters should rule. You may count Tali and myself in either way.

As an aside, we have a couple sets of friends that would like to come, but being somewhat financially challenged, there is some reluctance. This might be an added enticement for them to come along.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

I was just thinking that some of our retirees don't qualify for the senior pass yet and the two weeks camp fees would cost them about $250.

So quick and dirty math looks like:

Camp fees $250.

Towing Gas $250.

Groceries $250.

Misc. exp. $250.

-----------------------------

Total $1000.

>

Thats a pretty good hit to a fixed income.

My thinking was that if folks wanted to come earlier, paid no camp fees, stayed longer and shared meals by pot luck, costs might be reduced by well over half.

>

Just a option thrown out there so our Jugfesters would have the info to use for refrence.

It may well be that because of scheduling of work, travel and so forth, it would better meet the needs of our folks to stay at Kirby landing.

• Moderators

Holey Cow ! A 30'er ! First rainy day at Jugfest, we'll have a domino tournament at your place ! If your Oliver Phunny Pharm I is on consignment, maybe I could talk Betty into towing it ! Then we could have His & Hers Ollies and tow vehicles.

Wouldn't that be something ! Talk about cool. Every where we went we would be our own convoy.

And just think: With two Ollies, no more concerns about whether the seat is up or down! :lol:

I've got 4 6-gallon fuel jugs I'll bring along so I can fill up your boat when needed; I know you probably spent a bunch on gas last year so I'll make sure you don't this year.

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

And just think: With two Ollies, no more concerns about whether the seat is up or down!
:lol:

When the general feminine concensus changed from "you didn't raise the seat" to "you didn't put the seat down", they kind of lost my attention.

I've got 4 6-gallon fuel jugs I'll bring along so I can fill up your boat when needed; I know you probably spent a bunch on gas last year so I'll make sure you don't this year.

Woo Hoo ! Aubrey you are the man ! He, he, does this mean that we won't be enjoying any of your delightful A' Tu' Fe' ?

Geeze ! Now, You know I done spelt' that wrong !

• Moderators

Since Betty and I live closer than others, we will bring our boat, complete outdoors camp kitchen, lots of firewood and all of the necessary large pots, pans and fish cookers, complete with propane.

STEVE & TALI have volunteered to bring 5 gallons of cooking oil for the fish fry’s.

Maybe there are those that could volunteer to bring other items such as:

Frozen Hush puppies

PETE & OSCAR have volunteered to bring the Cole Slaw Mix & Green Tomato Relish

Frozen french fries

Pinto Beans

Tartar Sauce

ketchup

CHUCK & GERI have voluntered to bring the Paper Plates, Napkins, Plastic silverware,

I have probably forgotten something on this list ! Please call Betty at 479.216.2504 if you would like more input on special diets, ect.

Please call me at 479.243.5450 if I can help with questions about jugfest2010.

ALL OF THE SUGGESTED LIST OF VOLUNTEER ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE AT LOCAL STORES SINCE SPACE IS LIMITED IN OUR TRAILERS.

In the past some have chipped in to help with boat gas and we really appreciate that. I guess we could figure that out around the campfire one evening.

AUBREY has volunteered to help with gas

• Moderators

As the phone calls are going around I am telling everyone that Betty and I will arrive at Kirby Landing on Wednesday the 21st of April and plan on staying untill Wednesday the 5th of May.

Man, oh, Man ! I can't hardly wait to lap my lips roun' some of them tender fresh catfish fillets ! All this discussion about hushpuppies, cole slaw, green tomato relish, french fries and such, has me a rearin' to go fishin !!

• Moderators

Geocaching is always a part of Jugfest and likely the 2010 event will be no different. Here is a photo of the geocaches in the area as applied via an KML patch on Google Earth.

LakeGreesonGeoCaches.jpg

Be sure to bring your hand held GPS if you want to score a few of these. I know Betty and I will. Some of these are accessable by boat. The old Swanda Home Place cache is the movie star Clint Walker's grand father's place. It is kind of by it's self out on a point near the middle of the lake.

Woo Hoo ! Aubrey you are the man ! He, he, does this mean that we won't be enjoying any of your delightful A' Tu' Fe' ?

Mais, Cher! Don' you know dem Cajun don' never get mo' den 20 mile fom der home witout dem crawfish and etouffe stuff? An' Zatarain's? An' Tabasco? An' red beans?

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

OOOOhhhh Yeah ! Talk it to me buddy ! Yeh, we're gona' have a good time again this Spring time on the Lake at Jugfest2010 !

• Moderators

Never been to Jugfest before ? Want a quick ( 28 second ) look at last year's campsites ? Here is a link to a YouTube video that was taken on March 14th of this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7e5Xty69kw

The lake level had risen about a foot since Al & Fran had been over there looking at it a couple of weeks earlier. Rising lake levels generaly mean better fishing. Dropping lake levels generally mean poor fishing.

LakeGreesonKirbyLanding.jpg

In the Spring of the year, quickly passing thunder storms can bring brief periods of high winds. Because of that we camp beside a well sheltered small inlet, just off of the Bear Creek inlet, that leads out into the main body of the Lake. Because the boats are shore tied, they need the shelter. The short Spring time thunder boomers usually pass through quickly and the sunshine comes back out. Many times they pass through during the night leaving behind a fresh mild Spring morning for us to pick up the jugs in, AAAhhh, yes, easing down the inlet at an idle, coffee cup on the dashboard, honey bun in one hand, good friends chatting and jokeing, while seated around the boat. The excitement and anticipation of a good catch as we pick up the jugs, then suddenly, a dazzling flash as the first rays of sunshine zip past us down the Lake ahead, illuminating the islands in the distance. You can hear the instant hush of the crowd and their collective sudden intake of breath as they take in the magnificence of the moment.

That's when you know that it was well worth the pre dawn wake up.

I will just have to settle for the almost as good as being there. At least those of us not fortunate to enjoy the experience in person can savor what it must be like with the videos, photos, descriptions, etc. Keep em coming. J

• Moderators

Here is an example of a quickly passing Spring time weather event in the Ouachita Mountains.

Link to the photos and very short video, taken this morning:

http://mountainborn.blogspot.com/2010/03/no.html

>

100_1599.jpg