Hull 1030 “Reset” Has landed in Duncanville

DunnYet

Dewinterized, three nights of cold and learning to connect and disconnect the systems in sub-freezing weather. Arrived back in Duncanville with a list of things needed - waterproof thermal gloves being on the top of the list 🤪and installing the quick connects for the hose ports right after that.

”Blue Moose” towed our Elite I great through the hills of Tennessee and “Reset” was rock solid at highway speeds. No real workout for the Redarc brake controller this trip, even though the threat of ice and freezing rain has us worried. 

Managed to complete the rewinterizing process in the driveway and likely set till the Oliver Rally in May - unless we can make time for a quick trip before that. Till then just studying the stack of manuals and looking forward to being on the road again.

Cheers all!

8F5382C8-19C0-4921-B281-842A6088166C.jpeg

DD77DC3F-A1A4-40DD-855D-6E7796821C40.jpeg

6B5AE4A4-C04A-4C7C-85EE-DAC148162C26.jpeg

• Like 7

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

Congratulations! Love your trailer! 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

I too picked up my Oliver in February and much like you it was raining and near freezing.  Made me appreciate the warm dry interior even more.  However, I did shed a tear or two while taking that nice shiny clean beauty through the mud and dirty roads.

Congrats! Hopefully we will get a chance to meet at the Rally.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

23 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Congrats and see you in May!  By the way -- is that Duncanville Texas?  I used to have family there. 

Yes - Duncanville Tx just south of Dallas. Moved to the Duncanville / Cedar Hill area with the Supercollider project in the 90s and have been here since then. It’s a great area, close enough to downtown Dallas for events and entertainment but far enough out to be livable.

• Love 1

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

13 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I too picked up my Oliver in February and much like you it was raining and near freezing.  Made me appreciate the warm dry interior even more.  However, I did shed a tear or two while taking that nice shiny clean beauty through the mud and dirty roads.

Congrats! Hopefully we will get a chance to meet at the Rally.

Bill

Agree 100% - even after reading in the forums about how good the heat is I turned it on and set to 69 and five minutes later Rebecca was asking “why is it so hot in here” - it gets warm fast and stays very comfortable. My only regret was not thinking through my choice of gloves- non waterproof non insulated was a poor choice :-). I did cringe everytime we went through mud, but the rain did keep the hull pretty clean!

• Like 1

Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

Congradulations DunnYet from the mountains of East Tennessee!

I am thrilled to see your post, in fact, it's caused me to make my first.  We are new to the Forum and live in Greeneville TN. Our Elite I will, hopefully, arrive 11 August having ordered it in Sept. I also planned to tow with a Subaru Ascent, a 2021.  Our hills up here in East TN, SW VA, and Western NC where we camp most,  are quite a bit steeper than those Tennessee hills you towed your Ollie over, but I feel so much better reading about your experience.  To be honest most posts are from Elite II owners as they appear to be in the majority.  You are the first, I have found towing an Elite I with an Ascent.  The only Forum comments I have been able to find seemed to be second hand info from no one who actually used the Ascent but, referenced someone towing a boat trailer, I think.  I have to admit, they were negative on the Ascent.  I was worried I might have to give up the Subie, I just bought in September, having reluctantly passed down an Outback to my daughter.  We have towed an Aliner A-frame pop up with the Outback for 4 years and I just didn't want a large tow vehicle if possible.  My calculations and what I could find online all looked like the Elite I was well within the Ascents capabilities and properly loaded that it would safely tow the Elite I and with descent gas mileage. Still,  I was preparing myself for possible disappointment.  Thank you again for the post and I look forward to more!

Ron

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome Ron and Phyllis!  East Tennessee is a beautiful place to live.  We’ll be anxious to hear about your towing experience with the Subaru.  My daughter and her husband have an Ascent and like it a lot, they are local so we see it frequently.  August is right around corner!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Welcome Ron and Phyllis!  East Tennessee is a beautiful place to live.  We’ll be anxious to hear about your towing experience with the Subaru.  My daughter and her husband have an Ascent and like it a lot, they are local so we see it frequently.  August is right around corner!  Mike

Thank you Mike.  I've enjoyed your and Carol's comments.  I just got a Clam like the one you all showed.  I had considered it for a long time but her recommendation sold me.  I appreciate your effort. Yes, August is right around the corner and will give me enough time to finish the addition on my metal building for the new Ollie's bedroom.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ron and Phyllis said:

Congradulations DunnYet from the mountains of East Tennessee!

I am thrilled to see your post, in fact, it's caused me to make my first.  We are new to the Forum and live in Greeneville TN. Our Elite I will, hopefully, arrive 11 August having ordered it in Sept. I also planned to tow with a Subaru Ascent, a 2021.  Our hills up here in East TN, SW VA, and Western NC where we camp most,  are quite a bit steeper than those Tennessee hills you towed your Ollie over, but I feel so much better reading about your experience.  To be honest most posts are from Elite II owners as they appear to be in the majority.  You are the first, I have found towing an Elite I with an Ascent.  The only Forum comments I have been able to find seemed to be second hand info from no one who actually used the Ascent but, referenced someone towing a boat trailer, I think.  I have to admit, they were negative on the Ascent.  I was worried I might have to give up the Subie, I just bought in September, having reluctantly passed down an Outback to my daughter.  We have towed an Aliner A-frame pop up with the Outback for 4 years and I just didn't want a large tow vehicle if possible.  My calculations and what I could find online all looked like the Elite I was well within the Ascents capabilities and properly loaded that it would safely tow the Elite I and with descent gas mileage. Still,  I was preparing myself for possible disappointment.  Thank you again for the post and I look forward to more!

Ron

Ron - I am planning to write up a full note on our towing experience back from the factory - overall it was very good with MGP in the 12-14 range. Should get that done this week.

What brake controller are you going with? I did the Redarc and while I was in too much of a hurry to get good photos of the install (waited till the minute after the last minute to install) I would be glad to give you the tips I learned doing the install. I do really like the way that it fits into the dash - looks very OEM.

We moved to the Ascent from an Outback also - Outback took our Happier Camper HC-1 to California and back by way of Colorado. 

Kevin

• Like 1

Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

6 hours ago, DunnYet said:

Ron - I am planning to write up a full note on our towing experience back from the factory - overall it was very good with MGP in the 12-14 range. Should get that done this week.

What brake controller are you going with? I did the Redarc and while I was in too much of a hurry to get good photos of the install (waited till the minute after the last minute to install) I would be glad to give you the tips I learned doing the install. I do really like the way that it fits into the dash - looks very OEM.

We moved to the Ascent from an Outback also - Outback took our Happier Camper HC-1 to California and back by way of Colorado. 

Kevin

I would love to see how you mounted the controller.  I am using a Tekonsha Primus IQ that I used on the Outback.  I removed it when my daughter got it and mounted it to the door of the fuse box because it was so easy.  It works well with the Aliner and is out of the way for me and not very noticeable but I would consider another, OEM looking,  location.  Looking forward to seeing your pictures.  I can definitely live with that towing MPG.  I'll be interested to know sometime your, "loaded for camping" tongue weight.  That was always an issue I had with the Outback due to it's light tongue weight limit.   I had to be conscious of my loading, not that I ever noticed anything unusual, but it was always something I had to really watch for my own piece of mind.  I plan to weigh everything on a CAT scale after we get the Oliver home.  Thanks

Ron

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ron and Phyllis said:

I would love to see how you mounted the controller.  I am using a Tekonsha Primus IQ that I used on the Outback.  I removed it when my daughter got it and mounted it to the door of the fuse box because it was so easy.  It works well with the Aliner and is out of the way for me and not very noticeable but I would consider another, OEM looking,  location.  Looking forward to seeing your pictures.  I can definitely live with that towing MPG.  I'll be interested to know sometime your, "loaded for camping" tongue weight.  That was always an issue I had with the Outback due to it's light tongue weight limit.   I had to be conscious of my loading, not that I ever noticed anything unusual, but it was always something I had to really watch for my own piece of mind.  I plan to weigh everything on a CAT scale after we get the Oliver home.  Thanks

Ron

WIll get pictures when I pull the footwell dash parts again to run the TPMS display wires in the next week or so. I just posted the initial towing report to the "Towing and Oliver" thread - don't have all the weights I wanted but will add those in as I collect them.

Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, DunnYet said:

when I pull the footwell dash parts again to run the TPMS display wires in the next week or so

My TPMS (EEZTIRE) has a re-chargeable internal battery that lasts up to 60 hours of active monitoring (the monitor shuts itself down if the tow vehicle is not moving and restarts automatically when moving) which equates to about a week of actual travel time.  Certainly it can also be hardwired but I've not done that due to the ease of use without having even more wires to deal with.  If your TPMS has a re-chargeable battery you might want to consider giving it a shot before doing the work of pulling those wires.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

23 hours ago, DunnYet said:

WIll get pictures when I pull the footwell dash parts again to run the TPMS display wires in the next week or so. I just posted the initial towing report to the "Towing and Oliver" thread - don't have all the weights I wanted but will add those in as I collect them.

Great!

On 3/3/2022 at 8:01 AM, topgun2 said:

My TPMS (EEZTIRE) has a re-chargeable internal battery that lasts up to 60 hours of active monitoring (the monitor shuts itself down if the tow vehicle is not moving and restarts automatically when moving) which equates to about a week of actual travel time.  Certainly it can also be hardwired but I've not done that due to the ease of use without having even more wires to deal with.  If your TPMS has a re-chargeable battery you might want to consider giving it a shot before doing the work of pulling those wires.

Bill

I need to take a look at that, or possibly even a large capacity usb battery of that’s an option. Every time I unsnap those panel clips I cringe…

Reset"

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg