Outdoor mats

MarkC

Putting together supply list for Sept. delivery.  Any advice on mats.  Looks like most are 9x12.  Was thinking of going to Home Depot and getting some Astro turf.  The better half is concerned about dirt collection and removing the soil when you pack up.  Vacuum, shake out, hose off.  I am sure some are harder to clean than others.  I would like to just shake it, roll it up and throw in basement.  But,  basement will accumulate any dirt left behind.  And, if I’m doing the shaking, each subsequent move, I will remove less and less dirt until l skip the shake out step.  Maybe they come with a cover.  Seems like a little thing. But,  starting to see there are a lot of little things with this new RV life.  Size, mat material, cleaning?  Thanks!

• Like 2

We have a mat like this one.    It's poly pro and folds up like a map.   I use a broom to sweep off anything that collects and store it in the truck bed.  There have been times when it's rained and I've just folded it up dirty... then you just have to sweep it off when you put it back out.   It's breathable so doesn't hurt grass if left down for a day or so.   

Also it's a good idea to have a mat.  You'll be glad of it when you have to camp in a grassy area that has not been mowed recently.   Helps keep dirt and pebbles from getting into the camper too.  And you can kick your shoes off and leave them near the door before going in.   Not too expensive and should last a good long time. 

https://www.campingworld.com/reversible-rv-patio-mat-octagon-design-670190.html?dwvar_670190_color=cerulean

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

We bought a mat before delivery, but we've actually only used it a few times, usually when we are going to be sitting around with guests.  Most days, it doesn't seem worth it to get it out (and potentially get it dirty)  and we're happy just to set up our chairs and table.

• Like 2

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

I agree with ScottyGS go with the poly/ plastic mesh type for RVs much easier to clean they tend to pick up a lot of dirt. Most of it shake’s off when you fold it up. I bring a couple of 55gal HD trash bags to store the mat. After arriving home quick sweep off then wash down with a hose. They dry quickly. I don’t think the artificial turf will clean off as well imo.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

We use one of these (see below).  Leaves etc. sweep off easily and sand/dirt just fall through the weave.  Dries quickly and can be staked down so it does not blow away.

Available on Amazon:

CGEAR Original Sand-Free Outdoor Camping Mat - Water-Resistant & Anti-Fade Material - Military-Grade Construction - Reversible Design - for Beach, RVing, & Picnics

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

I was thing of getting a 6 x 9 mat instead of the 9 x 12 mat.

Does most Ollie owners get the 9 x 12 mats?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

We have used poly mats like ScottyGS recommended for years. Putting a mat down is one of the first things Steph does as we set up because it helps keep dirt out of the trailer. Aside from RV stores, you can find them at pet suppliers because they are commonly used at dog shows. We also have a storage bag for them that we found at Camping World.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, dewdev said:

I was thing of getting a 6 x 9 mat instead of the 9 x 12 mat.

Does most Ollie owners get the 9 x 12 mats?

We have one of each.  They both fold up to about 3’ X 12” X 8” and the small one is 3’ X 12” X 6”.  Sometimes we use both when we put the Clam up.  Typical camping mats/rugs, lightweight and porous.  I wouldn’t plan on storing them in the basement, you wouldn’t get much else in there.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

This time of year costco has in store only...Grey RV mats that are 6x9, lightweight, made out of spun recycled milk jugs and we just recycle each year.

They cost about $13

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

I think our poly mat is 5 x 8, or something like that. All depends on what you want to carry, and deploy. They do kill grass if left out more than a few days, and some grass spots prohibit them. 

We don't often carry ours. We use a couple good mats before the door, and rugs inside. Never had an issue with small welcome mats outside the step. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We use this 9’x12’ mat.   We started with a 6’x9’ but found it to be too small.  It folds up like a map into a fairly small size, and the way this bigger 9’x12’ mat folds, it can also be folded in half to make it a 6’x9’ if the campsite has limited space.  It’s easy to clean and hoses off easily.  We store it in the bed of the truck when traveling.  

Camco Large Reversible Outdoor Patio Mat - Easy to Clean, Perfect for Picnics, Cookouts, Camping, and The Beach (9' x 12', Lattice Blue Design) (42856) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRBPFZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_5H72K3NKHEBQWZNDHQ2M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do not yet have the Ollie (July delivery date) but we were looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V94W7UW/?coliid=I1GF1UKDPDZJLP&colid=3KEOTVVEK2CKX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Mike statement of having different sizes makes sense to me. Area could determine what we could use.

• Like 1

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

I was eyeballing astroturf at Lowe's last month, but it feels heavy to me and not as easy to maintain. 

The CGear mentioned above looks nice. Notice that the sale CGear Sand-Free mats at Camping World shows a good price -- but Camping World's version marked "Medium" is 8x8, whereas CGear Store on Amazon "Medium" is 8x14! 

https://www.campingworld.com/cgear-original-sand-free-outdoor-camping-mat-629925.html

https://www.amazon.com/CGEAR-Original-Camping-Mat-Water-Resistant/dp/B08LMNKBJL?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

2 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

The CGear mentioned above looks nice.

We are big fans of C-Gear mats.  We plan to buy one for use with our Elite II.

They are commonly used on river trips when camping on sandy beaches.  The sand really does flow right through them, keeping the surface "clean" for walking.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

@Rivernerd -- I found a decent price on REI.com -- they ship free to members for purchases over a given value. It was a better price than other places I found online, and they had both the "new" and "old" sizes (I'm assuming that there was a shift at some time from the rectangle to the square format.   I went for the 8' x 14' 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.