texas hill country...where too..??

mtkadan

made my first stop in birch creek state park on somerville lake and am here til 3/7mon.

where too next...?  within a 3hr drive..?

online reqistration is still new and weekends in texas are all reserved.

please advise w/ thoughts.

10-q

dan

somerville st pk.jpg

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, mtkadan said:

made my first stop in birch creek state park on somerville lake and am here til 3/7mon.

where too next...?  within a 3hr drive..?

online reqistration is still new and weekends in texas are all reserved.

please advise w/ thoughts.

10-q

dan

somerville st pk.jpg

What they call weekends are usually late Thursday -Saturday. Most every one leaves on Sunday which opens up a lot of spaces.  I think most parks should go to a non refundable weekend  deposits, which would cut down on the hoarding of rv sites for weekends.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

If you’re looking for states parks in the hill country, there’s Blanco, Perdenales, Guadalupe River.  There’s a municipal park in Fredericksburg (Lady Bird Johnson), there are also some good commercial parks around Fredericksburg, one is brand new and just opened in the middle of all the wineries.  Also a couple of commercial campgrounds around Kerrville.  State parks here fill up on the weekends almost all year round, so reservations are important as early as you can make them.  As you head this way I would try to avoid going through Austin, traffic can be pretty bad.  Mike

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mtkadan said:

think ill head to new braunfels and then west on 46 towards boerne.  any spots along there?

Guadalupe River State Park in on highway 46.  Or, once on 46 you can go north on highway 281 to Blanco and there is a nice little state park there.  If you keep going on 46 to Boerne, there is a commercial park in Boerne that is okay, not great.  A little north of 46 is Canyon Lake and there are a couple of COE campgrounds there.  Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

16 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

If you’re looking for states parks in the hill country, there’s Blanco, Perdenales, Guadalupe River.  There’s a municipal park in Fredericksburg (Lady Bird Johnson), there are also some good commercial parks around Fredericksburg, one is brand new and just opened in the middle of all the wineries.  Also a couple of commercial campgrounds around Kerrville.  State parks here fill up on the weekends almost all year round, so reservations are important as early as you can make them.  As you head this way I would try to avoid going through Austin, traffic can be pretty bad.  Mike

What data base or guide do you use?   In November I will need to know what's available between Hohenwald and Portland, Oregon.   Don't worry Mike,  you don't need to list every camping option, although I am impressed with your encyclopedic knowledge of places.  I just need to get or know where to find places.   There's probably an RV campground guide for the country that I need to get. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

John - 

Not to steal mtkadan's thunder and I expect that he will answer your question when he gets settled, but, there are a bunch of apps that can be used to do this type of thing.

You might want to start HERE for some that help.

There are all kinds of ways to get these apps to work - computer, tablet, smartphone.  Even the Garmin 890 GPS has a couple of them built into the device.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

John - 

Not to steal mtkadan's thunder and I expect that he will answer your question when he gets settled, but, there are a bunch of apps that can be used to do this type of thing.

You might want to start HERE for some that help.

There are all kinds of ways to get these apps to work - computer, tablet, smartphone.  Even the Garmin 890 GPS has a couple of them built into the device.

Bill

Thanks Bill.   Being new to the planet,  I have a lot to learn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John Welte said:

What data base or guide do you use?   In November I will need to know what's available between Hohenwald and Portland, Oregon.   Don't worry Mike,  you don't need to list every camping option, although I am impressed with your encyclopedic knowledge of places.  I just need to get or know where to find places.   There's probably an RV campground guide for the country that I need to get. 

Since the Texas Hill Country is our neighborhood the database resides in my head!  But, when venturing to other geographic areas my favorite app is Ultimate Public Campgrounds, followed by Allstays and Campendium.  Ultimate Public Campgrounds lists all the National Parks, State, county and municipal parks, COE and Forest Service campgrounds, BLM campgrounds and dispersed areas and utility campgrounds.  Allstays does the same but also includes commercial parks, and other things like truck stops, Costcos, Bass Pro Shops, etc.  We’ve used RVParky too.  Carol always checks rvcampgroundreviews.com once we narrow down our choices.  Campendium also gives good reviews.  Recreation.gov is what most national and state parks use for reservations and we spend time there too.  Hope this helps!  Mike 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

• Moderators

If you’re going to be staying at Guadalupe River State Park here are some suggestions for things to do.  It’s worth a day to spend in Fredericksburg.  It has a nice old downtown (Main Street) with lots of shopping and antique shops and has about a dozen wineries along highway 290.  Our favorite is Becker Vineyards just outside of Fredericksburg in Stonewall.  There are a bunch of other good ones.  Also, the LBJ Ranch in Johnson City is a National Parks Historical Park.  I’m not a big LBJ fan but we spent several hours there while camped at Blanco State Park and it was time well spent, interesting and educational.  If you keep driving west on 46 from Guadalupe, you’ll run in to Boerne (“Bernie”).  Main Street (Hauptstrasse) has a lot of antique shops and other nice shopping.  Several good restaurants Peggys, The Creek and Cypress Grille are upscale with good wine lists (my brother owns Cypress Grille and is the chef).  Several other more casual places to include a couple of microbreweries.  Dodging Duck is casual with live music and make their own beer.  It’s just off Main Street across from Cibolo Creek on River Road.  I’m not sure there will be many Bluebonnets in bloom yet, but you never know!  Mike

• Like 2

have 4days at guadalupe...then on to hondo.

learned a hack today for tx state parks and weekends...

it is:.... reserve fri-sat-sun...one day after. 

i guess most reservatons  are for saturday...stay sunday and you have a better chance at a site??

give it a try.

10-q

dan