MPPT charge controller.

Hello, 

I was wondering about any difficulties or problems with putting an MPPT charge controller in the basement for non-Zamp portable solar panels and running the cables to the battery bank. Would that be difficult to accomplish and about how far would the cable need to be? Is there a decent space there to bolt the charge controller and a fuse to the basement wall? The charge controller I am currently considering is the Victron Smartsolar MPPT 150/70. It weighs about 6.6 pound and measures 7.28x9.84x3.74 inches. 

Thanks for any information!

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

My plan is to run 4 gauge to just in front of the propane tanks with an Anderson connector. That line will connect directly to blue sea battery selector switch.  Position one will connect to the battery bank (fuse protected) to allow 12v power outside the trailer (winch, fridge, compressor) and to connect to a 12v to 12v charger pulling from the truck alternator.  Position two will connect to a Victron solar controller for portable panels. I’ll make a 50 extension with smaller gauge wires (Anderson plug at both ends) that can be used to find sunlight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisMI said:

My plan is to run 4 gauge to just in front of the propane tanks with an Anderson connector. That line will connect directly to blue sea battery selector switch.  Position one will connect to the battery bank (fuse protected) to allow 12v power outside the trailer (winch, fridge, compressor) and to connect to a 12v to 12v charger pulling from the truck alternator.  Position two will connect to a Victron solar controller for portable panels. I’ll make a 50 extension with smaller gauge wires (Anderson plug at both ends) that can be used to find sunlight. 

That sounds like a winner to me. I am not sure if you have considered one thing, you shouldn't’ put any high current switch or connector too close to the propane tanks. The switch itself will arc internally if operated while there is a heavy load, so you should plan to always turn off the load (or the dc to dc charger) before switching or disconnecting the Anderson connectors, to reduce arcing, which can eventually damage parts. Or blow you up 😳 For the charger, shut down the engine, then disconnect, not the other way round. In other words, when unhitching don’t just yank the Anderson cord with the engine going.

3CF0852B-B037-426C-BD52-D5F8F60E7831.thumb.jpeg.8bb20fd3387c47c274d9d5e03b789405.jpeg

What brand of charger? My Redarc one applies power “gracefully” - it monitors the TV voltage for a second or two, then connects to the battery bank.

Do you plan to do the work yourself? Do you have the Anderson parts kit and their crimper? Please post a thread with pics. This is cool. I love this stuff.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Ok I have my solar "Newbie Hat" on for this one!  image.png.32679f68ee22fc2be0d344f81e8b6b1a.png

Let us assume that I have a well designed solar system with all the necessary circuit protections (Breaker and fuses).  That I am in a hurry and want to use my Shore Power, Solar and the TV to charge up my Battleborns.  My systems are:   Truck has AGM, Ollie has Battleborn Lithium's, Victron 30 amp DC to DC Charger System twin 4 AWG feeds, Renogy 200 Watt solar suit case and charge controller, and a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp charger.

Potential Energy Inputs could at max be:  DC to DC = 30 Amps, Solar Panels  about 13 Amps, PD Converter 60 amps totals 103 Amps.

The three Battleborns can easily handle 300 amps charge rate.  I'm right at 1/3 of this.

Questions are:

• Is it possible/safe/advised (?) to use them all at the same time if I am in a big hurry?
  • Will the three computers  (Victron 12-12, PD, and Renogy Solar) work nicely to maximize the charge? 

Thanks

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

8 hours ago, John E Davies said:

What brand of charger? My Redarc one applies power “gracefully” - it monitors the TV voltage for a second or two, then connects to the battery bank.

Do you plan to do the work yourself? Do you have the Anderson parts kit and their crimper? Please post a thread with pics. This is cool. I love this stuff.

We take delivery in a month and it’ll probably be late summer before I have the time to do a lot of the modifications. I’ll probably end up doing most of the work myself unless my local shop can work me in. I haven’t purchased the dc/dc charger yet but I’d like to stay with one manufacturer and everything so far has been Victron. Thanks for the advice so far, looking forward to a fun summer of camping!

Chris:

if you plan on going solar and Lithium's, then the 30 amp Victron 12/12-30 brings more power to the charge process.

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg