Types of batteries

johnwen

• Moderators

Yes, there is a difference with AGM (absorbed glass mat) being the newer of the two technologies.

For a full explanation - simply Google "sealed lead acid versus AGM.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Looking again at my 2022 brochure I see that it shows a picture of the Bright Way batteries so I reckon all is ok.  Except, since they are not actually AGM, is the "AGM" setting on my solar controller ok?  There is also a "gel" setting at a slightly reduced voltage setting.  14.4 vs 14.1

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

John - 

I don't specifically know if the Brightways are gel or not but from the description below it would appear that they are AGM.

This sealed lead acid battery is an non spillable, deep cycle, maintenance-free, valve regulated (VRLA), rechargeable battery. Able to be used with a wide variety of applications; it has a wide operating temperature, long service life and deep discharge recovery.

• Compatible replacement for Trojan T-105
  • This battery has automotive style post terminals as well as stud terminals.
  • Meets or exceeds the OEM sealed lead acid battery specifications.
  • We supply only brand new, factory fresh, high quality batteries.
  • These batteries are completely spill proof and leak proof.
  • To better understand terminals and connectors click here.

What makes this Bright Way Group battery different

• The key to this battery technology is the porous glass mat separators, which completely absorb and trap electrolyte (battery acid).
  • Golf cart battery arrives fully charged, ready to go.

Where you can use this 6V 220AH battery

• Alarm panels, UPS Backup, electric power systems, emergency backup power supply, emergency lighting, railway signals, aircraft signals, communication power supply, gate operator equipment and solar.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The “G” in AGM does not stand for gel.   AGM means absorbed glass mat.  Here’s a good article that explains the technology.  AGM batteries still use lead plates and sulfuric acid, so they are still a type of “lead acid” battery,  but the plates in an AGM battery have fiberglass mesh mats separating the plates, and some other construction differences as well.  Old traditional lead acid batteries (the ones you have to top up with water every so often) are wet cell batteries.  Based on the link posted above by Chris, your Brightway batteries are AGMs, and your solar controller should be set for AGM batteries.  

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/blog/what-is-an-agm-battery-and-whats-the-big-deal

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's one of those venn diagram things. All agm batteries are sealed lead acid. All sealed lead acid batteries are not agm.

To put your mind at ease, I'd suggest you open a service ticket with your question. And, a photo of your batteries, or the product code. It's  a legitimate question. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This the belated  photo Seadog asked for in my similar thread. Oliver told me mine are sealed batteries. Build sheet from original owner did not show AGM. 

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

8 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

This the belated  photo Seadog asked for in my similar thread. Oliver told me mine are sealed batteries. Build sheet from original owner did not show AGM. 

image.jpeg

The battery part number is hidden under the strap.  The part number of yours and the part number of Johnwen’s battery might solve the mystery. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisMI said:

Probably the same battery that @Mike D. posted awhile back. However, these could have changed to a newer version that are sealed for 2022.2FF56023-84C5-437C-83CB-2EE5ADBB64B8.jpeg.56b7694682627dbf53cabf09d4e69a60.jpeg

@Ralph Mawyer I think you will find if the straps are removed the plastic cover on half of the battery will lift off providing access to the 6 cells. 

That’s what I initially thought, but didn’t want to force it since it covered the entire battery. Service said maintenance free.  

I’ll pull the model number, but couldn’t find it in a Google search, when I last checked. Not listed by Bright Star. 

This is a 2020 delivered in May, right before the factory shut down due to Covid. 

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

5 hours ago, johnwen said:

my build sheet indicates AGM

..... she adds to her Delivery Checklist.... in 22 DAYS !

And mine will be Lithium so... more research for me. :) 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

@Ralph Mawyer I think you will find if the straps are removed the plastic cover on half of the battery will lift off providing access to the 6 cells. 

Good memory, @ChrisMI. I've seen this battery in someone else's post,  but I can't find it now. I'm pretty sure Mike d replaced his lead acid batteries right after delivery with lithium,  without ever really using them. 

@Ralph Mawyer, did Oliver tell you to use an agm profile for charging (no equalization) or normal lead acid profile (periodic equalization). And, if they actually can be topped off with water? I thought sla meant truly sealed, but vented? 

I've not used sla batteries, so I really don't know, but I'm quite curious. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Service said sealed lead, not ago,  with no maintenance.  Lead acid profile.

Tempted to lightly pry the full flap, but it really looks setup for no access. 

I was wrong about the top as @topgun2 mentioned in the other thread. These are really the least desirable type of battery so I’m kind of bummed. The problem is the batteries will vent if pushed hard and there is no way to replenish them. SD had a great point/question above…we might want to use the agm setting to avoid boiling off excess h2o.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

These are really the least desirable type of battery so I’m kind of bummed.

I'm not sure that I understand.

This type of battery (sealed AGM) was considered to be the most desirable battery on the market when they first came out and it has only been since the lithium craze that they have lost their luster a bit.  Both my 2017 Ford and my 2021 Subaru have this type of battery as original equipment as do many other vehicles on the market.  These batteries do not spill acid, do not require regular maintenance and they last a reasonable amount of time.  As with any battery, they should be cared for properly - kept cleaned and charged properly.  Yes, in ideal conditions they might not last quite as long as the old regular lead acid batteries that required a bunch more attention but the other benefits generally outweighed this factor.  Of course, lithium batteries are now considered to be superior.  But, that superiority come at a reasonably hefty price - at least in the short run.

Bill

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm pretty sure Mike d replaced his lead acid batteries right after delivery with lithium,  without ever really using them. 

@Seadawg is correct.  My 2020 trailer came with 2 standard lead acid deep cycle batteries, no extra cost.   I also  had the optional solar package with controller (no longer an option).    See pics, my batteries looked just like @Ralph Mawyer, sealed.  Controller was set at Lead Acid, not AGM.    I used them for about a week, they worked well!  However, I couldn’t resist the urge for more power, sold them on Facebook Marketplace, and replaced with 2 BattleBorn Lithium.  

926DBA98-4819-465D-8E1E-4E1E816A199E.jpeg

B40A6233-F1CE-4798-81AB-A084FD930DBE.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators
10 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

These are really the least desirable type of battery so I’m kind of bummed.

Like Bill, I’m not sure I understand either.  When we ordered in 2015 we paid extra for our four AGMs, it was the top battery option to go with the solar.  We were very happy with them for 5 years, in all kinds of weather.  I only replaced them because the hooks on the hold down straps had worn through the casing causing some leakage.  Even then, they were performing fine.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

@topgun2

@Mike and Carol

Unfortunately we combined a couple battery types in this thread.  The original topic was asking about the 6v upgraded battery option. My first post was my educated guess on which (agm) battery Oliver was using that turned out to be correct. Those are a great option and look to be a high quality battery.

Half way down the thread Ralph posted a picture of his 12v wet lead acid battery (not agm) that is sealed from the factory and not serviceable.  Similar to Ralph and Mike I ordered a trailer that has the wet cell option so I could upgrade to 3 BB within the year. IMO a sealed lead acid battery that does not incorporate AGM technology is the bottom of the barrel setup because it will not allow the end user to replenish the water as it boils off under hard usage (or during the equalization charge cycle).  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Does anyone know what wet lead acid battery Oliver us using now as the "included" base option?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4